Author Topic: Expressions You Hate!  (Read 98977 times)

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
Re: Expressions You Hate!
« Reply #130 on: December 04, 2008, 02:11:55 pm »

Well I know I am the "older" generation, but I have the idea that the generation older than me, that are older still,
They get very sensitive about the language.  They are not used to hearing the more broad form of those parts
being used in public.  It doesnt bother me at all, but if my mom was still alive, I know that they would bother her a
great deal.
          She was raised southern lady and felt that only,,,"trailer trash" used those terms.  A real lady didnt say that
kind of thing.. I dont mind using euphemisms, if it makes others more comfortable.  Although any of the regular
terms that you chose would be fine with me.
          I think simply, its just a generational thing.. JMO.

Beautiful mind

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #131 on: December 04, 2008, 02:14:43 pm »

ou bet, friend Scott! And, to add to that list, I HATE "team player" and "strategic." One time I heard someone actually say "strategic strategies." I almost strangled him, in a strategic way, of course!

Now, thats funny.  I dont care who you are... :laugh:

Beautiful mind

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #132 on: December 04, 2008, 02:32:33 pm »
I was just going to say the exact same thing! Except I wasn't going to say "ain't," because I am not grammar trash.

;D

Kidding, Jeff, I know you're not either -- I'd never apply that label to anyone bothered by incorrect use of "unique."

;D Thanks!

BTW, how do you stand on "hopefully?" I have decided to go with it, because there's just no good concise alternative that doesn't sound silly. Hopefully, the grammar cops will give it the green light soon.

We all fall off the grammar wagon now and then, especially in speaking. In writing I will go out of my way to rewrite to avoid misusing hopefully. It doesn't require much effort to change, "Hopefully, we'll go tomorrow" to, "I hope we can go tomorrow," for example.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #133 on: December 04, 2008, 02:35:35 pm »
Jeff: Webster's been dead a long time, and anything that's good enuff for Annie [GEFA] is good enuff for me! Besides, they're not as cutesy as "Veejay" and "poopie" or whatever. Same goes for "ain't" -- GEFA!

Well, FRiend Lee, when you've got a coupla Pyoolitzers under your belt, like Annie, you go right ahead and dick and pussy all you want. ...

;)
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #134 on: December 04, 2008, 02:36:31 pm »

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #135 on: December 04, 2008, 02:45:37 pm »
Yeah, it's the fancy new way of saying process flow, which was the previous fancy way of saying how to get something.

But how, on earth, do you use it in a sentence?  ???

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #136 on: December 04, 2008, 02:48:14 pm »
In business?  ???

Just another one of the many sportstalk steals, right!?

'Nother hateful business expression is adding "technical" to anything. An exclusionary tactic. Technical writing, technical analysis, technical this and that. Hey, it ain't rocket science, folks!

My all-time favorite error to hate is those who say "those that say. . . " I HATE it when people confuse "that" and "who"!!

(How many people have a copy of Eats, Shoots & Leaves on their bookshelf right now?!?

(Stay tuned for more on my favourite anatomical euphemisms LOL!!!)
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #137 on: December 04, 2008, 02:57:07 pm »
We all fall off the grammar wagon now and then, especially in speaking. In writing I will go out of my way to rewrite to avoid misusing hopefully. It doesn't require much effort to change, "Hopefully, we'll go tomorrow" to, "I hope we can go tomorrow," for example.

To me, "hopefully" and "I hope" have slightly different connotations. "I hope" seems an expression of more personal desires, while "hopefully" more readily includes the listener, and maybe even fate in general. Also, "I hope" seems more iffy, whereas "hopefully" seems more or less assured.

For example, "I hope we can go tomorrow," seems more like a personal wish for a prospect that's far from guaranteed. "Hopefully, we'll go tomorrow" it seems mutually agreed upon, and pretty likely to happen if all goes well.

"One hopes we'll go tomorrow" or "It is to be hoped we'll go tomorrow" are closer matches to the misused "hopefully," but it is to be hoped that one doesn't have to hear them in conversation.

Yeah, it's the fancy new way of saying process flow, which was the previous fancy way of saying how to get something.

Hunh? OK, so what's "process flow"?

I HATE it when people confuse "that" and "who"!!

I'm with you there, FRiend!

Here's another one: "The boss wants to talk to Sally and I." This one makes me kind of sad, because it's someone trying their best to be grammatically correct (they know not to say, "Sally and me want to talk to the boss") but they're trying too hard! I always want to gently tell them to take Sally out of the sentence and see how it sounds. But I usually bite my tongue because I don't want the speaker to get mad at I.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #138 on: December 04, 2008, 03:29:50 pm »
Here are two of my Mom's pet peeves...

"preventative"

and

"I don't care..." (as in, she asks someone what he or she prefers for dinner and the person says "I don't care."  To her this implies that she shouldn't even bother.  But, I think some people see "I don't care" as implying "any option would be fine with me.")
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #139 on: December 04, 2008, 03:36:53 pm »
Wow, I'm behind the times.  (An expression I probably wouldn't have liked if I'd learned it anywhere else, but love it because of its associations.)

My number one peeve, and really this is not an expression issue, but an etiquette issue, is what has already been discussed - someone asking any form of "How are you?" but not stopping for an answer.   I do have a fondness (probably also associational) for "how ya doon?" but only if the answer is listened to.  Of course the responder owes a brief initial reply, but hopefully (a word I don't mind) that can develop into a conversation with real depth.  The main thing my friends and I talk about is prolly how we're doon.

Some expressions that rub me the wrong way:

"personal friend" - what other kind is there?

"non-starter" - what does that mean?

anything with literally violent imagery, that someone uses casually, like "I could kill you for that," "slap you upside the head," and especially, "just shoot me now"

Chrissi, good news, I don't think I've ever actually heard anyone I know use the word "trash" to describe actual humans.  I agree, it's shocking.