Author Topic: Expressions You Hate!  (Read 100626 times)

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Expressions You Hate!
« Reply #170 on: December 08, 2008, 02:47:56 pm »

"Settle down" isn't quite as bad, but it's annoying, too. When I use it myself, it's because I'm trying to be patronizing. I should stop that!   ::)

"Settle down" isn't as bad as it's goofy cousin... "simmer down".

LOL!
 :laugh:

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #171 on: December 08, 2008, 02:49:20 pm »
Remember the famous Popeil Pocket Fisherman?  ;D

Yes Jeff, I remember that one. The Popeil company sold all kinds of weird things and their commercials appeared in abundance on TV each Christmas. I also remember that "kitchen chopper" device. You would place an onion, a potato, a tomato (etc) inside it, push down on the plunger and it would "slice it, dice it, chop it.."  ::)

Are you by any chance talking about "Sham-Wow!"?  Those commercials crack me up.  Because, you're right... the amount of money for rags is pretty funny.  But, also, the name of the product is pretty hilarious.  And, the guy they have on the commercial is such and over-the-top **SALESMAN** in his on-camera persona.  I think he's also wearing a headset during the commercial.  LOL!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I'm not sure if that is the name of those kitchen rags or not, Amanda. ???

I think the Sham-Wow is a Billy Mayes (sp?) commercial, isn't it? He's starting to get on my last nerve!

He shouts. And he's obnoxious too. >:(

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #172 on: December 08, 2008, 02:51:01 pm »
I hate "Don't get your knickers in a twist" and "Don't get your undies in a bundle." Unnecessarily rude ways to say "relax."

When used by an American, that's also a Anglophilic affectation. We don't call our underwear knickers on this side of the pond.  ;D (Remember the "Dear Sexy Knickers" episode of Are You Being Served?) But I would rather be told not to get my knickers in a twist than be told not to get my bowels in an uproar!  :laugh:
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #173 on: December 08, 2008, 02:53:52 pm »
Yes Jeff, I remember that one. The Popeil company sold all kinds of weird things and their commercials appeared in abundance on TV each Christmas. I also remember that "kitchen chopper" device. You would place an onion, a potato, a tomato (etc) inside it, push down on the plunger and it would "slice it, dice it, chop it.."  ::)

Remember the famous Ginsu (sp?) knife? Did the Popeil company sell that, too?

I think the Sham-Wow is a Billy Mayes (sp?) commercial, isn't it? He's starting to get on my last nerve!

He shouts. And he's obnoxious too. >:(

Sure enough, but if you like bears, he's kinda cute. ...  ::)
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Clyde-B

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Clyde-B when he was Jack and Ennis's age
« Reply #174 on: December 08, 2008, 03:41:52 pm »
When used by an American, that's also a Anglophilic affectation. We don't call our underwear knickers on this side of the pond.  ;D (Remember the "Dear Sexy Knickers" episode of Are You Being Served?) But I would rather be told not to get my knickers in a twist than be told not to get my bowels in an uproar!  :laugh:

Dear Sexy Knickers!  I remember that, probably even have it around somewhere.  (Interestingly enough, the current ad down the side of this page has Shopzilla advertising sexy men's underwear.)

I do like "Don't get your knickers in a knot."  because of the alliteration.

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #175 on: December 08, 2008, 04:18:32 pm »
OMG, all the underwear talk is reminding me of the time time that my mother was ranting about something, and I turned to her and asked:

"And what got your panties all twisted today?"

:laugh:

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #176 on: December 08, 2008, 04:27:38 pm »
Dear Sexy Knickers!  I remember that, probably even have it around somewhere.  (Interestingly enough, the current ad down the side of this page has Shopzilla advertising sexy men's underwear.)

Bet you'd look good in the "Clever Mesh Bars Trunk," Clyde!  ;)  ;D

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #177 on: December 08, 2008, 04:30:07 pm »

I think we should start a thread:  The most annoying commercials, and most useless,
items sold on air.   The "Sham Wow rags" would be one of those for sure..

In my mind the most annoying and most useless item catagory however have been on TV, for over fifty years.  I have only seen them advertised at the christmas season...

Wait for it... You know it you love it ,,, you cant live without it...   Chi chi --CHIA PET.........

That is proof that people will buy anything.  No matter how useless, and no matter how many guises it comes in.       guhh

Beautiful mind

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #178 on: December 08, 2008, 04:32:39 pm »

I think we should start a thread:  The most annoying commercials, and most useless,
items sold on air.   The "Sham Wow rags" would be one of those for sure..

In my mind the most annoying and most useless item catagory however have been on TV, for over fifty years.  I have only seen them advertised at the christmas season...

Wait for it... You know it you love it ,,, you cant live without it...   Chi chi --CHIA PET.........

That is proof that people will buy anything.  No matter how useless, and no matter how many guises it comes in.       guhh

"Ch-ch-ch-chia!" Have you ever heard a more annoying commercial jingle?!?!?  :laugh:

Offline Clyde-B

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Clyde-B when he was Jack and Ennis's age
« Reply #179 on: December 08, 2008, 04:37:04 pm »
Bet you'd look good in the "Clever Mesh Bars Trunk," Clyde!  ;)  ;D

Don''t I wish that were still true!!!  :laugh: