Author Topic: Expressions You Hate!  (Read 100697 times)

Offline underdown

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • aka... Rob
Re: Expressions You Hate!
« Reply #200 on: December 09, 2008, 05:11:28 pm »

'With all due respect, I don't think this thread has enough options.'
(As an illustration).
I think that is one of the worst expressions, because it is purporting respect but can be immediately followed by something quite insulting.

It is amazing that so many of the expressions we hear, regularly, are 'a contradiction in terms' (whatever THAT means), and don't actually mean what they say.
  :)

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #201 on: December 09, 2008, 05:21:20 pm »

I have a question for folks about how you think about your posts here at BetterMost.

When you write your posts are you in conversation-mode or in formal-writing-mode?  I tend to type these in a very conversational way.  This is pretty much how I approach most emails too.  Even my work emails are pretty conversational.

I feel like my writing voice and my conversation voice can be quite different.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #202 on: December 09, 2008, 05:30:16 pm »
Here's another one of which I was reminded only minutes ago: Repurpose.  :P

Guilty as charged, friend. How about if I say my daughter's gonna commandeer the doghouse and turn it into a chicken coop. Does that lay (oops, lie) better on the ears??
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #203 on: December 09, 2008, 05:31:15 pm »

I have a question for folks about how you think about your posts here at BetterMost.

When you write your posts are you in conversation-mode or in formal-writing-mode?  I tend to type these in a very conversational way.  This is pretty much how I approach most emails too.  Even my work emails are pretty conversational.

I'm with you, Amanda. I'm very conversational,  here at BetterMost. I converse here, as I would with a group of RL friends.  :D
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #204 on: December 09, 2008, 06:26:47 pm »

Interesting question, Bud!

My writing voice -- whether here or in journalism -- and my conversation voice don't differ much. I'm a bit more lax with grammar in my conversation, and I probably swear a bit more (I almost never swear when writing journalism, even in publications that would probably be OK with it). I use more complex sentence structures in writing. Oh, and I use more imagery and analogy and so forth.

But I don't write very formally and I usually try to avoid writing things that I'd never say in speech. For example, "Indeed, blah blah blah ..." though I'll admit I do use that one on rare occasions when I can't find any way around it. I don't call restaurants "eateries."

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #205 on: December 09, 2008, 07:08:26 pm »
My writing is pretty conversational as well. It's been years since I have engaged in scholarly or technical writing. The writing I do at work is marketing oriented often. There is usually some kind of story I am trying to get across. So I would be hard put to churn out some dry stuffy prose. Recently I even referred to the company as "one of the best outfits around." I was surprised that it passed muster, but this is the West, where such idioms are acceptable!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #206 on: December 09, 2008, 08:20:09 pm »
My writing is pretty conversational as well. It's been years since I have engaged in scholarly or technical writing. The writing I do at work is marketing oriented often. There is usually some kind of story I am trying to get across. So I would be hard put to churn out some dry stuffy prose. Recently I even referred to the company as "one of the best outfits around." I was surprised that it passed muster, but this is the West, where such idioms are acceptable!

An important and time-consuming aspect of my work is writing responses to Ministerials. For my American friends, no, that doesn't mean ministers of religion. A Minister here in Oz, as indeed in the UK, is a politician, elected to public office.

A Ministerial is generated when a member of the public writes to their local Member of Parliament (MP). Such letters can cover any conceivable issue. Alas, however, they are usually complaints. In my industry, Health, some of the subject matter can be quite distressing, if not outright tragic.

So, the member of public writes to their local MP, who redirects it to the appropriate Minister whose portfolio it covers; i.e., in my case, the New South Wales Minister for Health. The Minister's office then sends the letter to the administrative office (me) where the staff member being complained about is employed; usually a public hospital. In consultation with our staff member, we write a response to the Ministerial, which will be sent back to the Minister for his signature, to be sent to the original author of the complaint. If it is a particularly critical or contentious issue, it will be read by the Minister in Parliament.

But back to the issue at hand. One would expect the writing style of such Ministerials to be extremely stilted and pedantic. It is, in fact, just the opposite. The two primary rules of Ministerial writing are:
1. Keep it simple, stupid!
2. Write it so the issue will be resolved.

When we forward letters to our clinical staff for response, their initial drafts often come back filled with medical terminology and pompous clinical gobbledegook. We amend them so the member of public who wrote the complaint will understand.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that IMHO so-called good English does not necessarily have to be an intellectual treatise that no-one except a select few academics can understand.

IMHO the primary purpose of good English is to communicate and be understood, not  to try to give the impression that "I'm smarter than you." 
« Last Edit: December 09, 2008, 10:00:12 pm by Kerry »
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

injest

« Reply #207 on: December 09, 2008, 08:33:15 pm »

I guess what I'm trying to say is that IMHO so-called good English does not necessarily have to be an intellectual treatise that no-one except a select few academics can understand.

IMHO the primary purpose of good English is to communicate and be understood, not  to try to give the impression that "I'm smarter than you are." 

I think anyone reading my signature line would know where I stand on this!  :laugh: :laugh:

I think it is the height of rudeness to interrupt a conversation to correct someone's spelling or grammer ...and that is what we are having here a conversation. In addition, for some of our members, English is NOT their first language so coming in and seeing 'grammar nazis' with red pencils can be offputting.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #208 on: December 10, 2008, 06:55:15 am »

I don't call restaurants "eateries."

This really tickled my funny bone!  :laugh:

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #209 on: December 10, 2008, 08:56:15 am »
I have a new one.  And I don't 'hate' it, per se; I use it often enough, but I think it might be a sign of the times changing.

'My bad' has sometimes taken the place of an 'I'm sorry' or 'I apologize'.

It started for me back in the mid-nineties, playing soccer.  The etiquette was that when you screw up (make a bad pass, don't trap the ball well, etc.) people said 'My bad' and I understood the point to be that you're playing your best, acknowledge it, and move on.

The phrase seem to have creeped into everyday conversations now when an apology really is an appropriate response.  It's something about which I hope to be more aware in my day-to-day conversations.
"Laß sein. Laß sein."