Author Topic: Expressions You Hate!  (Read 100235 times)

injest

Re: Expressions You Hate!
« Reply #210 on: December 10, 2008, 09:14:46 am »
I have a new one.  And I don't 'hate' it, per se; I use it often enough, but I think it might be a sign of the times changing.

'My bad' has sometimes taken the place of an 'I'm sorry' or 'I apologize'.

It started for me back in the mid-nineties, playing soccer.  The etiquette was that when you screw up (make a bad pass, don't trap the ball well, etc.) people said 'My bad' and I understood the point to be that you're playing your best, acknowledge it, and move on.

The phrase seem to have creeped into everyday conversations now when an apology really is an appropriate response.  It's something about which I hope to be more aware in my day-to-day conversations.

oh! you reminded me of one I hate!

when someone tells you something negative ( for example, they don't feel good ) and you say "I'm sorry"...and their response is "Well it isn't YOUR fault I have a cold!"...

huh?

I can't express compassion without taking responsibility for the problem? I guess I should say "I am sorry you have a cold and are not feeling well" just to be clear but good grief!

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #211 on: December 10, 2008, 10:31:33 am »
I have a new one.  And I don't 'hate' it, per se; I use it often enough, but I think it might be a sign of the times changing.

'My bad' has sometimes taken the place of an 'I'm sorry' or 'I apologize'.

My kids say that a lot, and frankly I love it. I'm just so thrilled that they're acknowledging wrongdoing and apologizing at all, I don't care if they say it in Klingon.

Context is everything.  ;D

Marge_Innavera

« Reply #212 on: December 10, 2008, 11:12:40 am »
My kids say ["my bad"] a lot, and frankly I love it. I'm just so thrilled that they're acknowledging wrongdoing and apologizing at all, I don't care if they say it in Klingon.

Context is everything.  ;D

Right. Some of the phrases here annoy a lot of people because they're overused or because they seem to be an attempt to avoid or pretty-up reality. But many of them, the ones that annoy me included, are just a matter of taste.  IMO "My bad" seems to be just another variation of 'I'm sorry' or 'it was my fault.'  At least it isn't an attempt to avoid responsibility!   ;D

One phrase that's certainly overused, but I don't share the widespread annoyance with it, is "have a nice day" or "have a good day."  It's really just a variation on the archaic "good day" as a standin for "goodbye."

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #213 on: December 10, 2008, 11:45:18 am »
One phrase that's certainly overused, but I don't share the widespread annoyance with it, is "have a nice day" or "have a good day."  It's really just a variation on the archaic "good day" as a standin for "goodbye."

I agree. It's banal, but the intention is to close the encounter on a quick, friendly note. And you really wouldn't want something non-banal, something more complex, that invited more thought or conversation, because then the encounter wouldn't reach the proper closure.

You know, "Good day" is probably a shortening of "Have a good day." But maybe now it's become too much associated with a terse or even hostile goodbye. Like when someone says, "Good day to you, Sir," puts on his top hat, turns and summarily marches out of the office. So we had to reclaim the "Have a" to make it sound more friendly.

Here's one I irrationally dislike. "I'm all about [whatever]." As in, "I'm all about oatmeal" from someone who eats oatmeal for breakfast every day. It's like, hunh, there's nothing important in your entire personality or life but oatmeal? (Note: "My breakfasts are all about oatmeal" would be acceptable.)

Oh, and here's yet another one: "jones" or "jonesing," as in, a craving some [non-drug] thing. Like, "I'm on a diet and I'm jonesing for a hamburger." I just can't stand that one. It's not that I object to drug-related slang on a moral basis. I wouldn't mind, "I went off my diet and ODed on french fries." Or "Please don't narc on me to the Weight Watchers leader." But I hate "jones," even when it applies to actual addiction. Way too cutesy. Does one really need a cutesy name for one's chemical-dependency problem?

Hmm .... I notice all my examples are food-related. So typical.  ::)

Offline Clyde-B

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Clyde-B when he was Jack and Ennis's age
« Reply #214 on: December 10, 2008, 12:51:28 pm »
I think the etymology of "My bad!" is that it is a contraction of "Am I bad!" 

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #215 on: December 10, 2008, 01:12:24 pm »
I wonder if feelings about expressions such as "How are you" or "have a good day" will change as things get gloomier in the next few months. Already I've had people look incredulous when I responded that I am great, as if we're all supposed to go around being miserable these days.

"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #216 on: December 10, 2008, 01:39:15 pm »
I wonder if feelings about expressions such as "How are you" or "have a good day" will change as things get gloomier in the next few months. Already I've had people look incredulous when I responded that I am great, as if we're all supposed to go around being miserable these days.

:laugh:  I'm going to start saying, "Hope your day doesn't suck too much!"

I think the etymology of "My bad!" is that it is a contraction of "Am I bad!" 

That's interesting! So it's really, "'mI bad!"

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #217 on: December 10, 2008, 02:50:08 pm »
I despised the expression "My bad", but eventually I was beaten down by the sheer weight of usage by everyone from teenyboppers to 50 year old women.

I always thought it was a combination of "I was bad" and "My mistake".  But in a grammatically incorrect sentence form.  Which I guess beats "supposably".  :P

Here's one I irrationally dislike. "I'm all about [whatever]." As in, "I'm all about oatmeal" from someone who eats oatmeal for breakfast every day. It's like, hunh, there's nothing important in your entire personality or life but oatmeal? (Note: "My breakfasts are all about oatmeal" would be acceptable.)

I kinda like this one because it reminds me of my favorite "I'm all over it" expression.

Oh, and here's yet another one: "jones" or "jonesing," as in, a craving some [non-drug] thing. Like, "I'm on a diet and I'm jonesing for a hamburger." I just can't stand that one. It's not that I object to drug-related slang on a moral basis. I wouldn't mind, "I went off my diet and ODed on french fries." Or "Please don't narc on me to the Weight Watchers leader." But I hate "jones," even when it applies to actual addiction. Way too cutesy. Does one really need a cutesy name for one's chemical-dependency problem?

Hmm .... I notice all my examples are food-related. So typical.  ::)

I don't mind these and actually use them because I did and do know people with various addictions and they used them and thought nothing of it.

I'm not sure how "narc" came into being.  I believe it refers to the narcotics police.

I use this in place of "stool-pigeon-ing".  If someone "narcs" on me, they're tattletaling.  Is there another word that could be used that doesn't sound grade-school-ish or something from a Jimmy Cagney movie? 

Offline LauraGigs

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
    • My Design Portfolio
« Reply #218 on: December 10, 2008, 03:06:06 pm »
when someone tells you something negative ( for example, they don't feel good ) and you say "I'm sorry"...and their response is "Well it isn't YOUR fault I have a cold!"...
huh?
I can't express compassion without taking responsibility for the problem? I guess I should say "I am sorry you have a cold and are not feeling well" just to be clear but good grief!

Yeah, I've had that experience too. The problem is that in English, I regret that... and It's my fault that... are both expressed in the same way: "I'm sorry."  Two very different meanings that people sometimes have trouble navigating.

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #219 on: December 10, 2008, 03:10:42 pm »
huh?

Yeah, I've had that experience too. The problem is that in English, I regret that... and It's my fault that... are both expressed in the same way: "I'm sorry."  Two very different meanings that people sometimes have trouble navigating.

I like it when someone does this to me.  When they say, "Well it's not your fault..." I instantly reply, "Oh, but I wasn't apologizing."

Heh.  That stops them dead and forces them to use their stuffy heads to figure it out.  ;D