Author Topic: Expressions You Hate!  (Read 100538 times)

Offline jstephens9

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Expressions You Hate!
« Reply #90 on: November 30, 2008, 01:12:20 pm »
"that's it in a nutshell".......I don't really hate it, but it sounds stupid

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #91 on: December 01, 2008, 01:44:28 pm »
Recent greetings that I have heard that just stop me dead in my tracks because I have no idea how to respond:

You get a call from someone or you call someone and the first words out of their mouths are:

"Hey, whadda ya know?"

Dead stop.  Train of thought instantly derails, conversation ball rolls under the couch.  Is he asking me a question?  Is he thinking out loud?  What do I know?  I know lots of things... how, what?  WTF do I say to something like that?

Similar to this is

"Hey what have you been up to?"

And they're not really asking. This isn't an opening conversation gambit, it's just something said as a greeting.  What have I been up to?  Slam on the conversation brakes.  Screeeeeeeeeeeeech.  I've been up to a lot and nothing at all, WTF do I say to something like that? 

You're supposed to answer, "Not much...you?" especially if you are from Wisconsin.  ;)
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #92 on: December 01, 2008, 02:21:02 pm »
I think what falls under your definition of cutesy are words like "beeoytch" for "bitch".  But again, I don't think it's so much cutesy as a form for "polite" conversation.  ;)

Um, how the heck is that pronounced, anyway?  ??? Three syllables? "Bee-oy-tich"? Two syllables? "Bee-oytch"?  ???
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #93 on: December 01, 2008, 04:29:31 pm »
Um, how the heck is that pronounced, anyway?  ??? Three syllables? "Bee-oy-tich"? Two syllables? "Bee-oytch"?  ???

What I usually hear is "beee-ahch."

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #94 on: December 01, 2008, 09:05:10 pm »

I've heard bee-oytch.  :)

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #95 on: December 01, 2008, 09:40:58 pm »
I've heard bee-oytch.  :)

Oytch? Like, rhyming with the first syllable of Deutschland?

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #96 on: December 01, 2008, 09:42:09 pm »
Xander coined the term 'bitca' for bitch and I find myself using it sometimes!  :D
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #97 on: December 01, 2008, 10:27:16 pm »
Quote from: delalluvia on November 27, 2008, 08:57:10 PM
Recent greetings that I have heard that just stop me dead in my tracks because I have no idea how to respond:

You get a call from someone or you call someone and the first words out of their mouths are:

"Hey, whadda ya know?"

Dead stop.  Train of thought instantly derails, conversation ball rolls under the couch.  Is he asking me a question?  Is he thinking out loud?  What do I know?  I know lots of things... how, what?  WTF do I say to something like that?

Similar to this is

"Hey what have you been up to?"

And they're not really asking. This isn't an opening conversation gambit, it's just something said as a greeting.  What have I been up to?  Slam on the conversation brakes.  Screeeeeeeeeeeeech.  I've been up to a lot and nothing at all, WTF do I say to something like that?
                 -----------------------------------------

Always makes me want to say "nothing thats any of your business."

Beautiful mind

Offline LauraGigs

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
    • My Design Portfolio
« Reply #98 on: December 01, 2008, 10:30:42 pm »
Same with "What's up?"

Conversation killer.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #99 on: December 01, 2008, 10:48:35 pm »
Tell you what, when I'm in a particularly cranky mood (happens a lot lately  ;D ) I even tend to get annoyed with, "How are you?"

Look, half the people don't even listen to the response, or even to themselves when they say it. It's just said sort of automatically.

And nobody really wants a catalogue of your aches, pains, and assorted other troubles in response.

And the typical response, "Fine, thank you," is just as annoying. You could be coughing up a lung from TB and you'd still automatically say, "Fine, thank you," and the other person won't even really hear it!  >:(

Maybe I should have filed this one under "Bitch, bitch, bitch"?

Or is it "Bee-yotch, bee-yotch, bee-yotch"?  ;D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.