Author Topic: Carving up the Two Old Birds  (Read 38665 times)

ruthlesslyunsentimental

Re: Carving up the Two Old Birds
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2006, 04:46:47 pm »
"Don't mess with Alma!!!" One of the great unwritten rules. I got in major trouble for calling her a "harridan" at Thanksgiving. People are sensitive about Lureen and LaShawn too, and you'll have to tread lightly on Cassie.

Cassie is one of my favorite characters!  See delivers the single most pivotal line in the entire film.  LaShawn is just a hoot and a half.  Lureen, I feel sorry for.  She had a huge hand in making her life turn out the way it did, but I'm sure she would have been a lot warmer had Jack been there for her emotionally.  And Alma, once again, a saint    ;)   .

Offline serious crayons

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2006, 03:12:33 am »
OK, I went too far, didn't I?

No. In fact, you forgot about the bluebirds and the whiskey spring. And how LD Newsome would buy a round for the house.

I like Lureen, Cassie and LaShawn a lot. But let's just say I'm not a frequent contributor to the "I love everything Alma" thread. (Come to think of it, IS there one? I know there's one for each of the other three.)

ruthlesslyunsentimental

« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2006, 04:37:43 am »
And how LD Newsome would buy a round for the house.

Best thing I've heard in days!

Can't you just see Mrs. LD Newsome saying "Well, it's about time you boys came out.  Here we were wondering when you'd come around.  Got a whole case of beans for you  -- 120 cans."

BTW -- do you know what LaShawn would say?  The real question is, what wouldn't she say?!

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2006, 12:39:49 pm »
bump
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline CarlaMom2

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2006, 08:39:22 pm »
Wow......those were some posts!  I think I need to watch the movie 50 times to catch up with you guys.  You really make the wheels in my head turn! ;D

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2006, 09:53:02 pm »
I know, Carla, we've been at it awhile, and our wheels are still turning!  Glad you took the time to read and post.  :-*
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2007, 03:59:22 am »
I was just talkin the other day (tongue-in-cheek) about "ritual turkey carving", and look what I come across!   :D

*bump*
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Artiste

« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2008, 10:13:43 am »
Symbols ??

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2008, 12:46:19 pm »
  This is further reinforced by the Basque.  The Basque is a very important character in the early part of the film.  He’s there to clue Ennis in on timing.  The only time restriction that Ennis has on the mountain is to meet the Basque every Friday at noon.  The one time we see Ennis meet the Basque for deliveries, the Basque tells Ennis that it’s too early in the summer for soup (to be sick of beans) – he’s telling Ennis that it’s too early in Ennis’ development to start a relationship with Jack – Ennis tried to order soup – a sexual relationship with Jack -- but was stuck with beans – a friendship relationship with Jack – but it’s too early for him.  Likewise, when Ennis asks why he didn’t get the spuds in this delivery, he’s told that there are none.  There isn’t a potato yet for Jack to peel – metaphorically, Jack is not yet ready either.  It’s immediately after the Basque scene that Ennis is confronted by the bear and is thrown from his horse, who was spooked.  Ennis was confronted by his fears and was spooked and he, himself, was thrown.  Immediately after Jack peels his potato (he’s getting ready to go further with Ennis) is the ‘yee-haw’ scene where Jack sees his opening – the sad pall brought down on their conversation by Ennis telling Jack that “Hell, that’s the most I’ve spoke in a year.”  And Jack takes his opening, and does his little mating dance for Ennis – Yee-Haw!

Here is the spot where ClancyPants (ruthlessly, in another incarnation) spoke about the meaning of the Basque's comment, "It's too early to be sick of beans."

Thanks for reviving this topic, Artiste!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #29 on: November 26, 2009, 11:52:33 am »
A great read for Thanksgiving!
"chewing gum and duct tape"