Author Topic: Question about the English language  (Read 24919 times)

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
Re: Question about the English language
« Reply #50 on: September 12, 2010, 06:25:07 pm »
I´m back with a couple of questions I´m hoping you can help me with. I´m writing a short piece in English and here are a couple of sentences I´m not happy with

Sitting barefoot in an orange plastic chair behind his suburban home at ten thirty at night, Leaphorn felt relaxed for the first time in a long while.

He has a patio in the backyard where he is sitting. Can I use the word "behind" here or does it sound strange?

Chee lifted his gaze towards the sky, Leaphorn did the same and both sets of eyes followed the white smoke as it floated upwards and for a moment took the shape of the Water sprinkler with his arms stretched out holding the bowl of rain water that The Old Ones so often had prayed for, before dissolving in the night air.

I`m just not sure whether this sentence reads well or not?(the Water Sprinkler is a character in the old Navajo religion)

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • well, I won't
« Reply #51 on: September 12, 2010, 06:48:38 pm »
I´m back with a couple of questions I´m hoping you can help me with. I´m writing a short piece in English and here are a couple of sentences I´m not happy with

Sitting barefoot in an orange plastic chair behind his suburban home at ten thirty at night, Leaphorn felt relaxed for the first time in a long while.

He has a patio in the backyard where he is sitting. Can I use the word "behind" here or does it sound strange?

I think it sounds fine this way.

Chee lifted his gaze towards the sky, Leaphorn did the same and both sets of eyes followed the white smoke as it floated upwards and for a moment took the shape of the Water sprinkler with his arms stretched out holding the bowl of rain water that The Old Ones so often had prayed for, before dissolving in the night air.

I`m just not sure whether this sentence reads well or not?(the Water Sprinkler is a character in the old Navajo religion)

This is a big ol' run-on sentence.  I think you could split it up into two or three sentences, add a little creative punctuation, and it would read better.

Chee lifted his gaze towards the sky; Leaphorn did the same.  As both sets of eyes followed the white smoke, it floated upwards, and for a moment took the shape of the Water Sprinkler--arms stretched out holding the bowl of rain water that the Old Ones so often had prayed for--before dissolving in the night air.

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #52 on: September 12, 2010, 06:54:45 pm »
I think it sounds fine this way.

This is a big ol' run-on sentence.  I think you could split it up into two or three sentences, add a little creative punctuation, and it would read better.

Chee lifted his gaze towards the sky; Leaphorn did the same.  As both sets of eyes followed the white smoke, it floated upwards, and for a moment took the shape of the Water Sprinkler--arms stretched out holding the bowl of rain water that the Old Ones so often had prayed for--before dissolving in the night air.
Perfect! I´ve been staring at this sentence way too long now to be able to make any sense of it myself.
Thanks, Paul!

Offline fritzkep

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #53 on: September 12, 2010, 08:03:38 pm »
"Behind the home" is fine, and you can also say "in back of the home".

Good suggestion about the sentence, Paul!

Werd ich zum Augenblicke sagen, "Verweile doch! Du bist so schön..."

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #54 on: September 12, 2010, 08:13:23 pm »
i've got an advanced degree in English and I couldn't do better than the advice Paul gave you, Mon.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #55 on: September 12, 2010, 08:40:24 pm »
Wow, you're writing Chee/Leaphorn fanfic?  Tres cool!  8)
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #56 on: September 13, 2010, 01:47:59 am »
Wow, you're writing Chee/Leaphorn fanfic?  Tres cool!  8)
Not quite but almost, Meryl. I´m taking a uni class in detective fiction and one of the assignments is to read Tony Hillerman´s "A Thief of Time" and write a creative text with the characters in a different geographical setting. So pretty much like fan fiction. Really enjoying the Leaphorn/Chee combo!

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #57 on: September 13, 2010, 03:21:41 am »
Wow, thanks for bumping this thread Monika! I had no idea it existed.

I'm sure it'll come in very useful at some point.

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #58 on: September 13, 2010, 09:20:39 am »
Not quite but almost, Meryl. I´m taking a uni class in detective fiction and one of the assignments is to read Tony Hillerman´s "A Thief of Time" and write a creative text with the characters in a different geographical setting. So pretty much like fan fiction. Really enjoying the Leaphorn/Chee combo!

That sounds like a fun class, Monika!  I've read most of Hillerman's work.  Have you ever read any Michael Connelly?  If not, I'd recommend starting with The Black Echo (begins a series) or The Poet (stands alone).  The man is a master.
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #59 on: September 13, 2010, 09:29:57 am »
That sounds like a fun class, Monika!  I've read most of Hillerman's work.  Have you ever read any Michael Connelly?  If not, I'd recommend starting with The Black Echo (begins a series) or The Poet (stands alone).  The man is a master.

No I haven´t. Thanks Lynne, I´ll check him out.

Right now I´m reading "Three Bags full" by Leonie Swann. Pretty good so far but I´ve just started. It features a flock of anthropomorphic Irish sheep out to solve the murder of their shepherd  8)