Author Topic: BROKIE & SAYIF (R.I.P. - 12th of June 08)  (Read 55184 times)

mvansand76

Re: Naming that kitten.. -> one kitten died this morning......
« Reply #60 on: July 26, 2006, 09:19:29 am »

Can I cry over a kitten with everything happening in the world? I don't know, but I do.. It was the smallest and weakest one, but it did play-fight with its 'big' brother a lot and it was the one that came to cuddle with me most..  :'(

Yes, you can!!! I am so sorry Jude to hear this Jude!  :'(

Offline henrypie

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #61 on: July 26, 2006, 11:26:06 am »
I'm so sorry.  They are so sweet and loving and I know how much it hurts.

Offline saucycobblers

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.
« Reply #62 on: July 26, 2006, 12:33:04 pm »
Can I cry over a kitten with everything happening in the world?

Well my eyes are filling up and it isn't even my kitten  :'(. Any animal or human that dies before its time gives us cause to grieve. So sorry to hear this... x
Will you stop playing with that radio of yours, I'm trying to get to sleep!

Offline starboardlight

• nipith.com
« Reply #63 on: July 26, 2006, 02:25:04 pm »
I'm sorry to hear about Sama. My heart sank when I saw the title.

btw, "Sama" in Japanese is used to address royalty, ie "Tenchi-sama" is equivalent to "Lord Tenchi". It's a beautiful name for the little feline prince.
"To do is to be." Socrates. - "To be is to do." Plato. - "Do be do be do" Sinatra.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #64 on: July 27, 2006, 03:12:54 am »
I'm sorry to hear about Sama. My heart sank when I saw the title.

btw, "Sama" in Japanese is used to address royalty, ie "Tenchi-sama" is equivalent to "Lord Tenchi". It's a beautiful name for the little feline prince.

It is a beautiful name.

Thank God the mother and her babies found you Jude. You have taken  them  into your home and given them love, comfort and happiness. I am SO sorry to hear about the little kitten passing away. I am so happy he found you though. You brought much happiness and love to his little life during his last days.

I hate to think what might have happened to all of them had you not invited them into your home.
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline j.U.d.E.

« Reply #65 on: July 27, 2006, 06:09:10 am »
Thank you all! Reading your posts helps me going through this. I had to explain to a colleague today what happened and I cried again..

Yes, the name Sama' seems to have been a perfect choice. I can't believe he's gone though.. It's not fair. It's far too early.. I'm fighting back my tears writing this, but the lump in my throat, I can't fight back..

Also, I'm not without guilt.. I feel like it's partly my fault.. I had the cats for 3 weeks and did not go to the vet right away.. I was worried to make that phone call, having to talk in Dutch.. So I went without appointment a week after adopting the cats. It was sooo hot and a tiny little waiting room and loads of people and me with four stressed-out cats... I left after 10 minutes. I took all my courage and called and made an appointement for after the week-end (the vet was all booked out). She checked them but said she would neutre the mother first, wait for 5/6 days for the mother to get better and then have them all vaccinated at the same time... But that seemed to have been too late...  :'(

I've read all kinds of stuff on 'cat typhus' on the internet. It's a highly infectuous virus, very lethal and the pet dies within hours.. but I'm not sure where it comes from. It's passed on in many ways and very resistant! My neighbour has 3 little dogs and they do their 'deed' in the garden (I can see and smell it sometimes..). There is a fence between our gardens and neither my cats nor her dogs can cross over.. but the virus can, I guess..

-> I have the feeling that this little fellow is actually wondering where his brother is. I have a feeling they are all three a bit confused. They follow me everywhere..

I feel guilty.. This morning, one of the other two kittens (the one on the picture) wouldn't eat anything... I'm worried. I don't want this to happen ..

~ j U d E
« Last Edit: July 27, 2006, 06:15:53 am by JudeW »
MLK - - - - - - - - - - - - HAL - - - - - - - - - - - - BHO
*15 jan 1929 - †04 apr 1968 | *04 apr 1979 - † 22 jan 2008 | *04 aug 1961 -

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #66 on: July 27, 2006, 12:25:56 pm »
So sorry to hear about Sama. It is a comfort to me that I believe in reincarnation, and can think about Sama's spirit being born again in a stronger body and having a longer life next time.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #67 on: July 28, 2006, 02:49:19 am »
Jude -

I still say the cat and her kittens were very lucky to have found you. God only knows what they got into while they were living outside.

You couldn't have known. Nobody could have. You didn't do anything wrong.

They were blessed to have found you.  :)
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline YaadPyar

« Reply #68 on: July 28, 2006, 08:19:56 am »
Jude -

I still say the cat and her kittens were very lucky to have found you. God only knows what they got into while they were living outside.

You couldn't have known. Nobody could have. You didn't do anything wrong.

They were blessed to have found you.  :)

I echo what David said.  Please don't blame yourself.  A far worse fate would have befallen these kitties left on their own.  You have given love and safety and comfort, and a lot of joy in sharing this with us.  It doesn't take away the sorrow of loss, but you are doing a wonderful thing here.  Lots of loving good wishes Jude. 

Celeste
"Vice, Virtue. It's best not to be too moral. You cheat yourself out of too much life. Aim above morality. If you apply that to life, then you're bound to live life fully." (Harold & Maude - 1971)

Offline j.U.d.E.

« Reply #69 on: July 28, 2006, 08:21:27 am »
The Saga continues..

The second kitten is ill. It started yesterday morning, not wanting to eat. In the evening I called the vet to make an appointment for this morning 9am. Yesterday was my sister's birthday and we went to the restaurant with my mother. I don't have a good relationship with my sister anyway, so yesterday in the restaurant from the very first minute, I wanted out! I wanted to go back to my cats. It was hell! When I came home the sick kitten still followed me everywhere and when I sat on the floor it climbed on my lap (just like Sama'). This night I slept on the matrass on the floor with the kitten next to me all night.

I was up early and couldn't wait for it to be 9am! I took the mother to the vet too (the vet had asked me to do that) and the vet prepared 5 syringes - all for the kitten! Horrible! One was antibiotica, one against the pain, one against the fever and the two last big syringes with fluids against dehydration. The first 4 went well, but then the kitten fled back into its basket where the mother was lying. It cuddled next to the mum. Even the vet had a hard time fighting back the tears.. She gave the last syringe with the kitten in the basket - that went well. Two minutes from there to my home I left the cats out of the basket and the kitten came sort of 'bouncing' out all fresh! It was totally amazing!! Very weak though (it hadn't eaten in 1 1/2 days) it followed me everywhere, purring non-stop and miauwing (I filmed it with my digi camera - I'll post it here as soon as I can). Then it followed its brother onto my bed where the mother was lying and they both went drinking milk - it was just wonderful to watch!! I had to leave and get my car (at the garage) - I actually sponteanously took half a day off this morning - and was almost afraid to go back home, fearing the condition would have worsened again. Both kittens were laying on the bed still and when the mother came they drank some more milk! Now I keep hoping that the kitten will survive till tonight, when I go back to the vet, where it will get more fluids.

I keep hoping too, that the mother and the third kitten will be spared! Mother and son kept me awake all night, playing around my flat. They both still eat, which is a good sign!

-> yesterday early evening

-> yesterday night

-> yesterday night

-> this noon, after the vet and with the 'big' brother (he actually kept licking/cleaning his brother - very cute! but risky too..)

-> this noon, after the vet and with the 'big' brother (they are from the same litter but very different in size now!)

~ j U d E
MLK - - - - - - - - - - - - HAL - - - - - - - - - - - - BHO
*15 jan 1929 - †04 apr 1968 | *04 apr 1979 - † 22 jan 2008 | *04 aug 1961 -