Author Topic: Ciao  (Read 47511 times)

Offline Artiste

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Ciao
« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2008, 07:56:10 pm »
Lucky you since you can see it in NYC !

Wish I was there too, back at my art studio there and I would rush to be the second in line after toi !!

retropian

« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2008, 08:18:34 pm »
I remember it got good notices at afterelton.com some time ago. I had forgotten all about it. I hope it's good.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #32 on: November 30, 2008, 08:36:38 pm »
Merci retropian !

I am happy that you mention that !

Can you re-find that and post it here, please ?

Au revoir,
hugs!

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BBM Radio Program Director
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2008, 11:36:36 pm »
Seems we're gettin' it in San Francisco and Berkeley on 12/12.  No word on San Jose yet.  >:(

What concerns me is the Landmark Theatres website says "One Week Only".  That usually does not mean good.  It's studio is Here! Films so probably look for it on their pay per view in January.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #34 on: December 07, 2008, 12:09:38 am »
I wish I was in San Francisco to see it ! I always enjoyed living in the 3 main gays areas there !!!

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #35 on: December 07, 2008, 01:58:10 am »

Dear friends,

I have now seen 'Ciao' and I loved it.

I think it is something really unique. It is very quiet and slow. It is very realistic, yet very, very delicate and poetic. It is a young filmmaker's film, solemn, but not precious, truly artistic, but not 'arty.' And it is very sad. It may not be for everyone. It may not even be for every gay and lesbian filmgoer. But me--I was rapt.

The photography is gorgeous--seriously so. The actors are beautiful, yes, but they are believable. The situation, itself, may at first be a bit artificial, stagy, but as the modest, economical story develops, it becomes more and more real--painfully so.

The dialogue does seem stilted at first, but slowly you realize that the situation is actually awkward, the characters have just met, and their awkward dialogue is real. Their speech becomes relaxed and believeably fluent as they become more comfortable with one another. Their faces, already beautiful, filling the screen, slowly open like flowers.

The faces! The eyes! Like Bergman. By sheer coincidence, I sat in the back of the theater. I was so happy I did--because so many of the close, close, closeups really allowed me to watch the faces rather than look at an ear or a nose.

The director had the courage to hold the camera, at certain points, without edit or pan, and keep it still, for long, long moments, and look at a tree or an empty room as the two characters talked "inconsequentially" off screen. The music is spare, a chord here, a note there, or just--silent.

Obviously, I can really have a high tolerance for slow, quiet films, and this may not be your cup of tea, BUT--one of my latest fave raves is Danny Boyle's 'Slumdog Millionaire,' which is an energetic, fast-paced, high-spirited riot of color and movement and sound teeming with dramatic, picaresque characters in far-fetched situations, so--try and give quiet 'Ciao' a chance--I really, really love it.

Unfortunately, 'Ciao' may not get that chance. I went to see the Saturday 7:30pm screening--and there were barely 40 people in the theater.  Then one old man, bored, walked out. (Too bad for him, he just missed the hottest kiss (kisses) of any screen anywhere.) Then about half the audience left quickly during the closing credits.

Sigh. They may not have realized that the 7:30 screening was followed by a Q&A with the director, Yen Tan. He is small and slight and very quick-witted and self-deprecating and polite and, yes, apologetic. He wryly said that he had first planned to make this a fast, funny comedy (literally), but the material and the co-writer and actor, Alessandro Calza (Andrea), dictated otherwise. He apologized saying that he, himself, might have been a little indulgent in holding a beat here or there a bit too long--so I spoke up and said I loved the silences and the rhythms of the film, and he thanked me with real sincerity.

Sorry, didn't mean to be long-winded. I'll just mention--one scene towards the end of the film may resonate strongly with many Brokies: on their last night, Jeff (Adam Neal Smith), takes Andrea out to a bar with a western theme (it is in Dallas) and, with dialogue totally masked by the music, they now finally talk easily, as the cowboy hatted crowd in the foreground dance. Silent, but eloquent. It's one of MY favorite images of 'Ciao.'

« Last Edit: December 07, 2008, 09:46:33 am by jmmgallagher »
"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #36 on: December 07, 2008, 03:13:30 am »
Thanks for that, John!  :)

Forgive me but, OMG, Alessandro Calza is so HOT!  ::)  :-\
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #37 on: December 07, 2008, 09:44:26 am »

It takes a village (and a lot of love and artifice and commitment and truth) to make a beautiful movie!

http://ciaodallas.blogspot.com/

"Camping Out"

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #38 on: December 07, 2008, 10:21:42 am »

From Ciao:

Adam Neal Smith (Jeff) and Ethel Lung (Jeff's step-sister Lauren) are two-thirds of the band 'The Ethels.'

Nice music!

http://www.myspace.com/theethels

About the ethels
The Ethels formed in the summer of 2002 in the upstairs bedroom of Adam's mom's house in Fort Worth, Texas. At the time we had an acoustic guitar and a $15 drumset designed for a child (ages 2-5). We wrote our first song in about 20 minutes, and with that, we were a band. A few weeks later we upgraded our gear (not by much) and played at Tom Prejean's open mic at Club Dada in Deep Ellum, Dallas. After a 15 minute set, Tom told us to keep playing. Unfortunately, we didn't know any more songs, so there was no encore. The following month, Ethel relocated to Los Angeles and Adam followed shortly thereafter. At a Halloween party in October of 2002 we met Gordon Bash, who plays bass for Mankind is Obsolete and for Marty and Elayne at the Dresden Room in Los Angeles. He came to one of our shows and offered to record a demo for us in the summer of 2003. We continued to play shows in and around LA, but the band decided to take a hiatus in the summer of 2004 to focus on other avenues. After a year of rest, Gordon joined the band as our bass player. Our first full-length album "Field Trip to Cakeland" is available at CDBaby.com and ITunes.com. We are old enough to be our parents. 

"Camping Out"

Offline Artiste

« Reply #39 on: December 07, 2008, 12:32:45 pm »
 jmmgallagher merci beaucoup !! Wow, may I have such elogance in words about my paintings as you do write here, showing that you are an Artiste[/color] too (and may I copy that and send it to friends as you said:

Dear friends,

I have now seen 'Ciao' and I loved it.

I think it is something really unique. It is very quiet and slow. It is very realistic, yet very, very delicate and poetic. It is a young filmmaker's film, solemn, but not precious, truly artistic, but not 'arty.' And it is very sad. It may not be for everyone. It may not even be for every gay and lesbian filmgoer. But me--I was rapt.

The photography is gorgeous--seriously so. The actors are beautiful, yes, but they are believable. The situation, itself, may at first be a bit artificial, stagy, but as the modest, economical story develops, it becomes more and more real--painfully so.

The dialogue does seem stilted at first, but slowly you realize that the situation is actually awkward, the characters have just met, and their awkward dialogue is real. Their speech becomes relaxed and believeably fluent as they become more comfortable with one another. Their faces, already beautiful, filling the screen, slowly open like flowers.

The faces! The eyes! Like Bergman. By sheer coincidence, I sat in the back of the theater. I was so happy I did--because so many of the close, close, closeups really allowed me to watch the faces rather than look at an ear or a nose.

The director had the courage to hold the camera, at certain points, without edit or pan, and keep it still, for long, long moments, and look at a tree or an empty room as the two characters talked "inconsequentially" off screen. The music is spare, a chord here, a note there, or just--silent.

Obviously, I can really have a high tolerance for slow, quiet films, and this may not be your cup of tea, BUT--one of my latest fave raves is Danny Boyle's 'Slumdog Millionaire,' which is an energetic, fast-paced, high-spirited riot of color and movement and sound teeming with dramatic, picaresque characters in far-fetched situations, so--try and give quiet 'Ciao' a chance--I really, really love it.

Unfortunately, 'Ciao' may not get that chance. I went to see the Saturday 7:30pm screening--and there were barely 40 people in the theater.  Then one old man, bored, walked out. (Too bad for him, he just missed the hottest kiss (kisses) of any screen anywhere.) Then about half the audience left quickly during the closing credits.

Sigh. They may not have realized that the 7:30 screening was followed by a Q&A with the director, Yen Tan. He is small and slight and very quick-witted and self-deprecating and polite and, yes, apologetic. He wryly said that he had first planned to make this a fast, funny comedy (literally), but the material and the co-writer and actor, Alessandro Calza (Andrea), dictated otherwise. He apologized saying that he, himself, might have been a little indulgent in holding a beat here or there a bit too long--so I spoke up and said I loved the silences and the rhythms of the film, and he thanked me with real sincerity.

Sorry, didn't mean to be long-winded. I'll just mention--one scene towards the end of the film may resonate strongly with many Brokies: on their last night, Jeff (Adam Neal Smith), takes Andrea out to a bar with a western theme (it is in Dallas) and, with dialogue totally masked by the music, they now finally talk easily, as the cowboy hatted crowd in the foreground dance. Silent, but eloquent. It's one of MY favorite images of 'Ciao.'

You write heavenly !

Love it! Love it! Love it!

More please... did you get their addresses so we can contact them and encourage them,
au revoir,
hugs!

You merit flowers and more for this wonderful composition      jmmgallagher, our Annie you are              !