Author Topic: Ciao  (Read 47519 times)

Offline Artiste

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Ciao
« Reply #80 on: December 17, 2008, 09:47:41 pm »
Merci !

So is Robert Bell comparing it (Ciao movie) to THE Brokeback Mountain FILM?

IN SOME WAYS?

AU REVOIR,
HUGS!

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #81 on: December 17, 2008, 09:57:44 pm »

And here's another! Good!

http://www.nyunews.com/arts/film/ciao_offers_new_elements_to_gay_cinema

Washington Square News > Arts > Film

“Ciao” offers new elements to gay cinema

by Thomas Sullivan

Published: Tuesday, December 2, 2008

“Ciao”  is a breath of fresh air for a genre that really, really needs some variety.
Queer cinema as it now stands basically consists of three elements: graphic sex, AIDS and coming-out stories. Fortunately, “Ciao”   features none of these. Director Yen Tan’s film is a very quiet character study, providing the genre with an infusion of exactly what it needs: subtlety.

Because the film opens on a somber note with the death of main character Jeff’s (Adam Neal Smith) best friend Mark (Chuck Blaum), we immediately expect it to be a weepy drama about death and mourning. But in fact, it turns out to be exactly the opposite. As he sifts through the possessions of the deceased, Jeff discovers an incredible number of e-mails exchanged between Mark and Andrea (Alessandro Calza), an Italian man with whom Mark was in an online relationship.

It seems that Andrea was planning on visiting Mark the following week, so Jeff takes matters into his own hands and e-mails Andrea to tell him the bad news. Unfortunately, Andrea’s ticket is already booked and paid for, so Jeff invites Andrea to come and stay with him regardless. The two men soon find themselves growing closer and closer, building a relationship out of the love they share for their mutual acquaintance.

It is obvious from the start that none of the actors here are very experienced, and it sticks out like a sore thumb against the rest of the film’s solid craftsmanship. Fortunately, although most of the main characters struggle with line delivery, it only slightly obstructs the smooth flow of the general narrative.

At the same time, however, when the actors get it right, they really get it right. What makes this film such a joy to watch is that the characters are all very honest and realistic. Jeff and Andrea aren’t the typical buff manly-men that dominate most gay films; they are average people. It is easy to relate to their grief.

Most of the film’s situations are also eminently plausible, and as a result “Ciao”  rarely forays into cheeseball territory. It does spend a lot of time perilously teetering on the edge of soapy melodrama fluff, especially in an out of place musical performance towards the end of the film. But for every cringe-worthy moment there are several genuine and heartfelt ones, inspiring true empathy rather than derision. This is the kind of movie that, at first glance, seems pre-engineered to be dismissed as a soap opera. That it manages to gracefully avoid being smacked with that label says a lot about its poignancy — unlike a lot of queer cinema, which self-consciously aims to be loud.

Yen Tan still has a lot of work to do to establish himself as a solid filmmaker. But “Ciao”  is a simple-yet-engaging gay film that isn’t afraid to step away from genre clichés. The film isn’t necessarily new and original, but it is compelling and endlessly relatable. Which is, in its own quiet way, groundbreaking.

Thomas Sullivan is a staff writer. E-mail him at [email protected].
"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"

Offline Artiste

« Reply #82 on: December 18, 2008, 12:28:51 pm »
Oh!

Intéressant!

And you have pic of the (dead) lover?

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #83 on: December 20, 2008, 08:17:18 pm »
I schlepped through the not-very-well-plowed-snow-filled streets to see Ciao today.   ***not too spoilerish***

I had only read John's review, having skipped over the others before viewing.

While I liked it, I didn't love it.  

I have no problem with slow, paced films.  However, this one was too stylized and studied for me to emotionally connect with it.  It seemed like it would have made a good short film, rather than a feature-length film.  It seemed to be an outline  of a film.  I guess I was left wanting more.  

The actors were attractive, the constant close-ups were effective, but the expressions didn't really change.  I don't know if they were purposely holding back, but, to me, there wasn't enough development.  The stiff dialogue didn't help.  

A very sincere effort, that was lacking for me.  The best line, when Andrea talks about a former girlfriend, realizing that "she didn't have a dick" made me laugh, but, sadly, summed up the film for me.  There just wasn't enough there there.  

Aside:  the "typing" of emails at the beginning made me think of none other than "Doogie Houser".  
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 02:29:44 pm by southendmd »

Offline Artiste

« Reply #84 on: December 20, 2008, 11:45:17 pm »
Was sex in it?

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BBM Radio Program Director
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #85 on: December 20, 2008, 11:48:07 pm »

Was sex in it?

There is no sex in the movie Artiste.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #86 on: December 20, 2008, 11:49:01 pm »
Any kisses ?

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BBM Radio Program Director
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #87 on: December 20, 2008, 11:50:22 pm »
Any kisses ?

Ok, yes, there is a kiss.  It's a loooong beautiful tender emotional kiss too!  :-*

Offline Artiste

« Reply #88 on: December 20, 2008, 11:57:34 pm »
Pic of it?

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #89 on: December 21, 2008, 01:12:02 am »

I schlepped through the not-very-well-plowed-snow-filled streets to see Ciao today.   ***not to spoilerish***

I had only read John's review, having skipped over the others before viewing.

While I liked it, I didn't love it. 

I have no problem with slow, paced films.  However, this one was too stylized and studied for me to emotionally connect with it.  It seemed like it would have made a good short film, rather than a feature-length film.  It seemed to be an outline  of a film.  I guess I was left wanting more. 

The actors were attractive, the constant close-ups were effective, but the expressions didn't really change.  I don't know if they were purposely holding back, but, to me, there wasn't enough development.  The stiff dialogue didn't help. 

A very sincere effort, that was lacking for me.  The best line, when Andrea talks about a former girlfriend, realizing that "she didn't have a dick" made me laugh, but, sadly, summed up the film for me.  There just wasn't enough there there. 

Aside:  the "typing" of emails at the beginning made me think of none other than "Doogie Houser". 

I'm glad you saw the film, Paul. If nothing else, it supports gay cinema!

(My TV and film knowledge could be lacking--when something looks very fresh to me, it might be old hat to the cognoscenti.  Believe it or not, I have never seen 'Doogie Houser'--oops!  Oh, well. I do know the actor Neil Patrick Harris is, of course.)

Artiste: the kissing scene is at near the end:

"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"