Author Topic: So why the watch?  (Read 6900 times)

Offline chowhound

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
So why the watch?
« on: November 23, 2008, 04:49:09 pm »
In the opening scene, after Aguirre has assigned Jack and Ennis their jobs, he tosses Ennis a watch which Ennis manages to catch. We then see Ennis putting the watch on his wrist as he leaves the trailer. After this, I can't remember any sight or allusion to this watch at all. So why the watch?

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
Re: So why the watch?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2008, 04:54:53 pm »
In the opening scene, after Aguirre has assigned Jack and Ennis their jobs, he tosses Ennis a watch which Ennis manages to catch. We then see Ennis putting the watch on his wrist as he leaves the trailer. After this, I can't remember any sight or allusion to this watch at all. So why the watch?
So that he´ll know when it´s noon perhaps?
(he leaves the grocery list every Friday at the bridge)
Although I can´t ever remember seeing the watch later on. Maybe he kept it in his pocket.

I think the watch also was used as a way to show that Ennis really doesn´t own anything (barely any clothes), and that Aguirre is so sure of that, that he doesn´t even have to ask Ennis if he owns a watch.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2008, 05:22:35 pm »

"Never enough time, never enough."

Their race against the time starts with Aguirre tossing Ennis the watch. They try to ignore the running time (hiding the watch in the pocket), they may forget about it respectively be oblivious to it, they don't see it (it's hidden) - but it's still always there, from beginning on.

Time is short for our boys. The first snow comes early, their time on the mountain is cut short.
Time is always too short, goes by always too fast on the few stolen days they have together.
In the end, time runs out for Jack and thus for their relationship.

:(

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2008, 05:28:18 pm »
"Never enough time, never enough."

Their race against the time starts with Aguirre tossing Ennis the watch. They try to ignore the running time (hiding the watch in the pocket), they may forget about it respectively be oblivious to it, they don't see it (it's hidden) - but it's still always there, from beginning on.

Time is short for our boys. The first snow comes early, their time on the mountain is cut short.
Time is always too short, goes by always too fast on the few stolen days they have together.
In the end, time runs out for Jack and thus for their relationship.

:(
very poignant interpretation, chrissie. Thanks.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2008, 05:30:28 pm »
I like all the answers.  

Ennis is fitting the watch to his wrist when Jack ignores that and thrusts his hand out.  Ennis says he and Alma will be getting married in (OH God, I can't remember the month, time to watch the movie again), and Jack ignores that.  Ennis tries to stick to time ("trying to cut us out a whole month's pay", Jack ignores it for himself and Ennis too.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2008, 05:51:32 pm »
Never enough time to look at each other neither ! ?

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2008, 06:54:01 pm »
I like all the answers.  

Ennis is fitting the watch to his wrist when Jack ignores that and thrusts his hand out.  Ennis says he and Alma will be getting married in (OH God, I can't remember the month, time to watch the movie again), and Jack ignores that.

Good points Clarissa. It was November when Ennis and Alma got hitched.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline LauraGigs

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
    • My Design Portfolio
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2008, 07:04:56 pm »
It seems that the only other prominent timepiece in the film, Chowhound, is the clock on the desk in Jack's boyhood room.  (That was about as far from the end of the film as the tossed watch is to the beginning of the film.)

Appropriately, it's old, dusty and stopped.   :-\

Offline Artiste

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2008, 07:12:38 pm »
But Ennis did not need a watch to remind himself to marry Alma, right ?

Or was it for him to think of maybe not marrying her, but stay with Jack or marrying Jack ??

Offline Marina

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2008, 06:55:53 pm »
I noticed the watch too - time is fleeting, never enough time, their time on the mountain was all too short, and Ennis' regret of it.  Appreciate the time you have with the one you love.  :)  Of all things, Aguirre gave Ennis time with Jack.  So sad.  :(
“Only within the moment of time represented by the present century has one species -- man -- acquired significant power to alter the nature of his world.”
~Rachel Carson~

~Looking back on it, they both realized it was the best thing they ever had.~  - A Mother's Love