Author Topic: So why the watch?  (Read 6899 times)

Offline Katie77

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of Nature
Re: So why the watch?
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2008, 12:00:09 am »
Aguire would have given Ennis the watch so that he would know what time it was to leave the note at the bridge for the supplies.

When Ennis goes to put the watch on his wrist it seems that the clip is broken or that it does not fit him, cause he looks at it as if it to say "well its not gonna go on my arm".

Consequently, he probably carried it around in his pocket, and thats why we didnt see it again.
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2008, 12:28:22 pm »
"Never enough time, never enough."

Their race against the time starts with Aguirre tossing Ennis the watch. They try to ignore the running time (hiding the watch in the pocket), they may forget about it respectively be oblivious to it, they don't see it (it's hidden) - but it's still always there, from beginning on. ....

..Consequently, he probably carried it around in his pocket, and thats why we didnt see it again.

Yes, exactly.  And the watch is mentioned again, in one of the most poignant and telling scenes:

What Jack remembered and craved in a way he could neither help nor understand was the time that distant summer on Brokeback when Ennis had come up behind him and pulled him close, the silent embrace satisfying some shared and sexless hunger.

They had stood that way for a long time in front of the fire, its burning tossing ruddy chunks of light, the shadow of their bodies a single column against the rock. The minutes ticked by from the round watch in Ennis’s pocket, from the sticks in the fire settling into coals...

right before Ennis says: 

Time to hit the hay, cowboy. I got a go.

AP never ceases to amaze me. 

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

retropian

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2009, 05:42:44 am »
I like all of the suggestions above. My own thought is that the watch symbolises the heart, think The Wizard of OZ and the Tinman. It's Ennis's heart that is about to be activated, that's why he gets the watch, not Jack. Jacks heart (capacity for love) is already ticking. Ennis keeps the watch in his pocket because he's not the type to wear his heart on his sleeve.

Offline optom3

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2009, 12:21:36 pm »
I love this thread and for once I love all the interpretations.The more I read the story and indeed seethe film, the more layers are uncovered.

In the s.s. it says Aguirre takes in the the worn appearance of Ennis. He tells him that he needs to be at the bridge for noon.  he didn't ask if Ennis had a watch but took a cheap round ticker on a braided cord ---------- set it, tossed it to him as if he weren't worth the reach." He continues on, "we'll truck you up the jump off"

In the above I believe Proulx has chosen each word deliberately, there is so much sub text. First the arrogance and disdain of Aguirre assuming Ennis would not have a watch. Then even setting it, so implying Ennis would not have the brains to do it himself.
Tossing the watch, again disdain, Ennis is not even worth the short walk to hand the watch over.

Then there is the use of specific words, such as calling the watch a ticker. In the U.K at least, ticker is slang for heart, (as in the old ticker has been playing me up a bit lately.)  Also the watch is on a cord,not a strap in the s.s, so would hang round Ennis's neck and rest at about heart level. 
 The watch is symbolic for Ennis's heart. It also, (as someone has mentioned,) needs to be wound up, in a way showing us that Ennis is about to have his heart woken for the first time.
 The disdainful treatment Aguirre subjects Ennis to, is analogous with the fact he not only despises him, but thinks even his heart is worthless. That is a pretty hard judgement of anyone. The heart is the organ that keeps the whole body and mind together. It can be broken literally and metaphorically.

The other point that intrigues me is the use of the words, "jump off"  Ennis although he does not know it then is literally about to, heart in hand jump off  into the unknown.

The watch also brings in the other dimension of the story, that of time. The cut short time, the 4 years passing, the 20 years of "fishing" then the eternity, of a life without Jack. Time lost, heart old, like the watch he is given.Even the paradox of Ennis seeming older than his years, due to his parent's deaths at such a young age, and what his father made him witness, weighed against his naivety and youthful inexperience in matters of the heart and sex.

Jack to me has always seemed the opposite in some ways. He is youthful and exuberant, almost childlike in his expectations and wishes, yet paradoxically he seems more sexually experienced and more aware of his heart.Opposites within opposites.

It is a never ending cycle for the two of them, in the same way the seasons are cyclical and too the hands moving round the watch. I am in awe of the talent of Proulx, to speak volumes in just a few words. To weave so many intricate details and themes which will meander through the whole story. I could read the s.s a hundred times and still find more.

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2009, 12:47:44 pm »
Wow, great posts Retropian and Optom3 :-*

You almost make me sob with the beauty of it all

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2009, 01:00:26 pm »
Why the watch? Never enough time.
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline LauraGigs

• My Design Portfolio
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2009, 04:52:42 pm »
I like all of the suggestions above. My own thought is that the watch symbolises the heart, think The Wizard of OZ and the Tinman. It's Ennis's heart that is about to be activated, that's why he gets the watch, not Jack. Jacks heart (capacity for love) is already ticking. Ennis keeps the watch in his pocket because he's not the type to wear his heart on his sleeve.

In his chest pocket — right next to his heart.

Yeah, great posts, both of you!

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2009, 02:37:28 am »
This really is a wonderful thread.  Great observations everyone!

I think if we really combed through the film we'd probably see or hear many different references to time.  Definitely the watch at the beginning and the clock in Jack's childhood room at the end are super significant.  And, of course the "never enough time" is the clearest open articulation of the problem of time in their relationship.

But, then, there's also the big, giant, fancy gold watch that Jack wears in his truck on the way to visit Ennis in the post-divorce scene.

And, things like the seconds being announced during the barrel racing contests, etc. all make the concept of time foregrounded a lot and in different ways both visually and verbally.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline optom3

« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2009, 01:37:29 pm »
This really is a wonderful thread.  Great observations everyone!

I think if we really combed through the film we'd probably see or hear many different references to time.  Definitely the watch at the beginning and the clock in Jack's childhood room at the end are super significant.  And, of course the "never enough time" is the clearest open articulation of the problem of time in their relationship.

But, then, there's also the big, giant, fancy gold watch that Jack wears in his truck on the way to visit Ennis in the post-divorce scene.

And, things like the seconds being announced during the barrel racing contests, etc. all make the concept of time foregrounded a lot and in different ways both visually and verbally.

I had forgotten about that fancy watch Jack was wearing, post divorce. He sure went up in the world financially. That gives us yet more contrasts. Jack with his fancy watch,Ennis not really moved forward financially at all.
Yet there is also the dichotomy of Jack and his obvious financial success, in stark contrast with his failure in matters of the heart.
He arrives singing, whistling and on such a high. He leaves crying, watch visible, yet on such a low.