Author Topic: When is it too early to put up your Christmas tree?  (Read 41710 times)

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
When is it too early to put up your Christmas tree?
« on: November 25, 2008, 10:52:12 am »
I already have ours up.  I got a wild hair to put it up this past Saturday, because I had just bought it on sale at Sear's.  Yes, it's artificial - I have a problem, in principle, with putting up a real tree (but I don't begrudge anyone else doing it - my parents always had a real one).  It's one of those with the lights already woven into it.  This year, I bought one with multi-colored lights at my son's request (our previous one has white lights, but parts of them don't light up anymore and I don't feel like going light by light to figure out which one is burned out).

He wanted to just have the lights on it and nothing else, i.e., not put any ornaments or topper or other stuff on it.  He got vetoed.  This morning, he had a hissy fit because I had strung gold beads (instead of tinsel) and put ornaments on it after he went to bed.  He's six, so I'll let it slide.  Not a great start to a morning - a nuclear meltdown by your child over Christmas ornaments.

Anyone else got theirs up yet?  Or am I a maverick in this regard?

I do plan to wait until after Thanksgiving to put the outside stuff up.  We have a row of oak trees along the side of our yard facing the street (we're on a corner lot).  I tack giant red bows to them each year, put wreaths on the front doors, and decorate the mailbox.  Just don't have the gumption to string up lights outside.  My husband says I'm welcome to do it, but I have to do it myself (Scrooge).  So I don't.
No more beans!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: When is it too early to put up your Christmas tree?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2008, 11:25:05 am »
Ordinarily I try not to put my Christmas tree up till on or after December 6, the Feast of St. Nicholas, and I usually leave it up till on or about Epiphany, January 6, but sometimes practical considerations interfere with those plans.

Barb, I think it made good sense to set your tree up. You just bought it; suppose you had waited till closer to Christmas, only to find out that the lights didn't work or it was defective in some other way?

From early childhood on, I grew up with artificial trees because my mother got deathly sick from the aroma of pine in the house; at that time she didn't work outside the home and she was cooped up with it all day. Fortunately, this didn't start happening until after they invented green artificial Christmas trees that you could put lights on. In those days my grandparents had one of those aluminum trees with which you used a color wheel because you couldn't put lights on them. When I was a small boy I hated that aluminum tree; it seemed to me that lights were the very essence of a Christmas tree.

I don't begrudge the use of cut "natural" trees; at least they can be recycled. In fact I wish I could have one, but they're illegal in highrises in Philadelphia--against the fire code, for pretty obvious reasons.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2008, 12:33:20 pm »
I already have ours up. 

Anyone else got theirs up yet?  Or am I a maverick in this regard?

:o
You got your tree up already? Now I would call it definitively mavericky!
We will put up the tree a day or two before Christmas (which is starts on Dec 24 over here and lasts three days). And it will come down on or around Epiphany, just like Jeff's.

Next Sunday is the first Advent, so we'll put up an Advent wreath and light the first candle on it. Some time the next week I'll put lights into the three front windows and that's it.

Like Jeff's mother, I'm allergic to "real" trees. I stood it for years, partly because I simply didn't know one can be allergic to trees. It was here on BetterMost, when I read it for the first time from Jeff.
Long story short, last year we had an artificial tree for the first time. My oldest threw a hissy fit when we put it up, because Christmas without a real tree is NOT Christmas. Oh well. I can understand her, I also prefer real trees, but I can't help it. Last year was the first time in many years I experienced Christmas without dyspnea and without feeling sick. So we stick with the artificial tree.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2008, 12:59:41 pm »
You got your tree up already? Now I would call it definitively mavericky!
  ;D

Next Sunday is the first Advent, so we'll put up an Advent wreath and light the first candle on it. Some time the next week I'll put lights into the three front windows and that's it.

We never had a home Advent wreath, but I've always looked forward to the wreath being lighted in church. In the church where I grew up, lighting the candles each successive Sunday has always been made a part of the liturgy.

Like Jeff's mother, I'm allergic to "real" trees. I stood it for years, partly because I simply didn't know one can be allergic to trees. It was here on BetterMost, when I read it for the first time from Jeff.

Long story short, last year we had an artificial tree for the first time. My oldest threw a hissy fit when we put it up, because Christmas without a real tree is NOT Christmas. Oh well. I can understand her, I also prefer real trees, but I can't help it. Last year was the first time in many years I experienced Christmas without dyspnea and without feeling sick. So we stick with the artificial tree.

Oh, my goodness, that made my day, Little Darlin'! I'm so glad to know I helped you figure out your problem!   :D 

Mother was just like that--couldn't breathe, and she also lost her voice. I understand your oldest's hissy fit. I can remember when the doctor told us to get rid of the Christmas tree--we already had a beautiful fir tree set up and decorated--I was very upset that we would end up with an aluminum tree like the one my grandparents had.

My father was always partial to Douglas Fir for a Christmas tree because he said they held their needles longer than some other trees.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Dobie1018

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2008, 02:51:42 pm »
I think when Thanksgiving has passed, that's when the start of the Christmas season begins, but I think the proper time to put up a Christmas tree is a couple of weeks before Christmas, and taking it down a couple weeks after Christmas.  I love putting the tree up, and hate taking it down!

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2008, 03:18:50 pm »
Oh, my goodness, that made my day, Little Darlin'! I'm so glad to know I helped you figure out your problem!   :D 

You sure did! I thought I told you last year. Maybe I forgot.
I had a vague feeleing it might be the tree. But I thought it couldn't be, because nobody is allergic to trees. And I'm certainly not allergic when I take a walk in the forest or sumpn. So I just lived with it and hoped every year (in vain) it would get better.
After reading about your mother I decided it is actually possible to be allergic to Christmas trees and I gave the artificial tree a try.

It really was a big relief. So thank you! :-*

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2008, 03:58:27 pm »
I know people who already have their tree up.

We'll be putting ours up on Thanksgiving.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2008, 04:04:19 pm »
I know people who already have their tree up.

We'll be putting ours up on Thanksgiving.

My parents' tradition was always putting it up the Friday after Thanksgiving.  My stepmother would go shopping, and my Dad and I would get the tree, set it up, and string the lights on it.  When my stepmother got home and had a sufficient rest from her shopping, she would put most of the ornaments on it and let me put on the "special" ones at the end.

Another rationale for just doing it this past Saturday for me was that we will be out of town the week of Christmas.  So this way, we can enjoy it the same amount of time.

The main one rationale was that I really, really felt like doing it.  I thought I'd better strike while the iron was hot, because I know from past experience that the first two (or three...) weekends in December can easily pass me by with no Christmas tree because I just don't feel like doing it.
No more beans!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2008, 04:51:25 pm »
You sure did! I thought I told you last year. Maybe I forgot.

Or it  may be that you told me and I forgot!  ;D I'm just glad you'll be having a more comfortable Christmas season.  :D

The main one rationale was that I really, really felt like doing it.

That's probably the best reason for doing it!  :D

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2008, 06:06:43 pm »
You guys are so lucky for your enthusiasm.  Me, I'm like, oy, do I have to do all that Christmas tree mishigas?

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2008, 07:01:57 pm »
You guys are so lucky for your enthusiasm.  Me, I'm like, oy, do I have to do all that Christmas tree mishigas?

I know what you mean and feel somewhat the same way, Elle. Then I remember that's how my mom always felt -- for her, anything that was a bother wasn't worth doing at all -- and then she got Alzheimer's. Could be a coincidence, but ...

My concession to simplicity is to get a smallish one. Most years, we've had trees that brush the 10-foot ceilings of our house. Sometimes it was because our neighbor, a tree trimmer, cut them in the forest and ignored my request to bring us a small one. Other times, it was because the family went en masse to the tree lot and everybody insisted on a larger one, despite my protests. But it was almost impossible for incompetents like me and my husband to get them straight in the stand, keep them vertical, get the lights spread evenly, etc. Finally last year, we got a tree with a misshapen trunk, wrestled with it until it fell over with all the lights on it, my husband said "Fuck it!" and stormed out of the house. He, apparently, planned to skip the whole mishigas. Merry Christmas!

So the next day, I went by myself to the tree lot. I picked out a smallish tree, had the guys there put it in the stand straight and tie it onto the car that way. Got home, put it up all by myself, and the holiday was saved.

This year, I'll be putting up a tree sans husband.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2008, 01:21:44 pm »
We have a pre-lit tree.

Just unfold it, put in the stand, and bam!  You're done!

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2008, 02:53:52 pm »
We have a pre-lit tree.

Just unfold it, put in the stand, and bam!  You're done!

:laugh: Gotta love those Americans!

Offline Artiste

« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2008, 03:02:41 pm »
Anyone adding cards in their Christmas tree ?

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2008, 03:04:02 pm »
:laugh: Gotta love those Americans!

It's a very quick process!

You place the stand on the floor.  Hold the bottom half, so that the branches are all folded pointing upwards, and place the "trunk" in the stand, let go, and the branches fall into place.

Grab the middle half, hold it so that the branches are all folded pointing upwards, and place the "trunk" in the stand on top of the first section, let go, and the branches fall into place.

Grab the very top, and place it on top of the middle part.

Spread out the branches, and plug in.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2008, 03:08:46 pm »
But that might scratch my derriere ? A bit !

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2008, 03:09:09 pm »
Well, that "spread out the branches" part isn't necessarily easy.  If you have a tree you just bought that's been jammed in a box for God knows how long, it can be a little dicey.

I was very happy to find that all the little lights on my new tree lit up the first time I plugged the whole shootin' match in.  I *really* didn't want to go back to Sears, especially considering they told me mine was the last tree of the type and price I chose left.
No more beans!

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2008, 03:52:43 am »

I had a funny coincidence happen after I wrote this.  First off, I have no idea why I chose to use two Yiddish terms in the post - it just felt right.  But then a couple of hours later, I was hanging out with some homeschool buddies, and one friend, who is Jewish said, "My daughter really wants us to have a Christmas tree, and is annoyed that her father and I won't do it.  I wish we could go to someone's house and help them decorate their tree, and satisfy her that way."  I said, "You're welcome to come over and help us, that would be fun."  I didn't remember my BetterMost post while I was saying that.

I just read seriouscrayons's reply to my post, which reminded me I had used those Yiddishisms about decorating the tree.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2008, 10:05:26 am »
I know what you mean and feel somewhat the same way, Elle. Then I remember that's how my mom always felt -- for her, anything that was a bother wasn't worth doing at all -- and then she got Alzheimer's. Could be a coincidence, but ...

This sounds eeriely familiar to me (once more). My mother was the same. And now also has dementia.
My parents never had a real tree because it was too much effort :P. And back in the 70s/80s the artificial trees were tiny and pathetic - thus my dislike of artificial trees.

This year, I'll be putting up a tree sans husband.

(((K))) :-*

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2008, 10:11:58 am »

I had a funny coincidence happen after I wrote this.  First off, I have no idea why I chose to use two Yiddish terms in the post - it just felt right.  But then a couple of hours later, I was hanging out with some homeschool buddies, and one friend, who is Jewish said, "My daughter really wants us to have a Christmas tree, and is annoyed that her father and I won't do it.  I wish we could go to someone's house and help them decorate their tree, and satisfy her that way."  I said, "You're welcome to come over and help us, that would be fun."  I didn't remember my BetterMost post while I was saying that.

I just read seriouscrayons's reply to my post, which reminded me I had used those Yiddishisms about decorating the tree.

Some say there is no such thing as coincidence... :)
I think this is cool 8). Bet you'll have a great time decoratin' together. :D Two birds with one stone.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2008, 11:19:10 am »
Usually, persons decorate trees after Thanksgiving, but this year stores had them up even before Thanskgiving or was or many  before Holloween ?? Why?

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2008, 11:20:26 am »
one friend, who is Jewish said, "My daughter really wants us to have a Christmas tree, and is annoyed that her father and I won't do it.  I wish we could go to someone's house and help them decorate their tree, and satisfy her that way." 

Not to be annoyingly negative but, while this does sound fun, isn't it possible that it would only make the daughter feel worse? She'll be hanging ornaments on someone ELSE'S tree, rather than her own. And then when she returns to her own treeless living room, she won't be able to admire it.

Maybe it depends on the personality of the actual girl. But I know my when sons were young, they really really wanted a video game system. In one of my few feeble attempts to follow the good-mom rules, I held out against it. But when they visited other people, such as my friend's son Kevin, they played with those kids' video games. Finally my older son said he didn't even want to go see Kevin anymore because it just reminded him that WE didn't have video games.

Eventually, of course, I caved. I decided that the elephant in the room of no video games had become a bigger obsession than the actual video games would be. The psychology worked perfectly on my older son. He plays a little now and then, but isn't particularly interested.

My younger son, unfortunately, is addicted to the point that I wish we'd never gotten involved in the whole mishigas.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2008, 04:31:29 am »
Not to be annoyingly negative but, while this does sound fun, isn't it possible that it would only make the daughter feel worse? She'll be hanging ornaments on someone ELSE'S tree, rather than her own. And then when she returns to her own treeless living room, she won't be able to admire it.

Maybe it depends on the personality of the actual girl. But I know my when sons were young, they really really wanted a video game system. In one of my few feeble attempts to follow the good-mom rules, I held out against it. But when they visited other people, such as my friend's son Kevin, they played with those kids' video games. Finally my older son said he didn't even want to go see Kevin anymore because it just reminded him that WE didn't have video games.

Eventually, of course, I caved. I decided that the elephant in the room of no video games had become a bigger obsession than the actual video games would be. The psychology worked perfectly on my older son. He plays a little now and then, but isn't particularly interested.

My younger son, unfortunately, is addicted to the point that I wish we'd never gotten involved in the whole mishigas.

Maybe it will just take him longer to burn out on it?

Or maybe he will be the one to make a fortune in something related to his passion for it.

And K and Chrissi, thanks for reminding me of the kind of mom I don't want to be - avoiding doing stuff because it's too much bother.  The truth is I often can enjoy stuff vicariously now.  Like I bought this big glossy coffee table book of photographs of Provence recently, and have been savoring it.  It occurred to me that I'm actually probably enjoying this enough, and my yers of yearning to go to Provence have started to diminish.  The dream and the reading about it feel like enough right now.  I used to be a big traveler.   Where was I with all this?  Oh yeah - even though I can read "The Night Before Christmas," make a box mix of gingerbread, and listen to MP3s of Christmas carols for a total of 4.2 hours this month, and call that good enough, I need to do more for my kid's childhood memories.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2008, 11:14:00 am »
Or maybe he will be the one to make a fortune in something related to his passion for it.

That's what he's hoping. He aspires to become a professional video game tester. I warned him that's probably a pretty crowded field.

even though I can read "The Night Before Christmas," make a box mix of gingerbread, and listen to MP3s of Christmas carols for a total of 4.2 hours this month, and call that good enough, I need to do more for my kid's childhood memories.

I think the biggest challenge of motherhood, especially with young children, is figuring out what's "good enough."

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2008, 03:36:09 pm »

And K and Chrissi, thanks for reminding me of the kind of mom I don't want to be - avoiding doing stuff because it's too much bother. 

Sometimes we all avoid stuff because it's too much bother. Be it for our kids or for ourselves.
And you don't succeed or fail in being a good mother because of a Christmas tree. Or because of that one trip to a theme park you didn't take. Or because of the one or other hour you parked your kids in front of the TV to have some peace and quiet.
It's the overall attitude you show your kids. Don't be too hard on yourself.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2008, 08:02:17 pm »
Oh yeah - even though I can read "The Night Before Christmas," make a box mix of gingerbread, and listen to MP3s of Christmas carols for a total of 4.2 hours this month, and call that good enough, I need to do more for my kid's childhood memories.

Well, I should add to what I said that about my mom. She never read TNBC out loud (as far as I recall). She didn't make boxed gingerbread, though she may have made slice-and-bake sugar cookies (which I actually love) once or twice. She didn't play Christmas carols.

She made a turkey for Christmas dinner but complained about cooking the whole time, the broccoli side dish was a frozen unseasoned cube boiled in a saucepan, and she didn't even light candles -- going with the harsh overhead dining-room light -- until finally I got old enough to insist on something moodier. No decorations except the tree (though in later years she would have dropped that, again had I not insisted). My mom had many wonderful qualities, but she did not go all out for the holidays. Or really, for anything domestic.

And yet, despite all this, I have great childhood Christmas memories. It all works out somehow.  :D

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2008, 11:35:26 am »
It's funny how to a kid, the most dysfunctional thing is the most normal thing.  I mean, it's all you know.  When I was really young - between 3 and 5 - I have vague memories of my Mom making sugar cookies from scratch, rolling the dough out on waxed paper laid on the counter, letting me cut out the Santas and reindeer and trees.  She also bought that doughy stuff that hardened into plaster, poured it in molds, and made ornaments my brothers and I then painted.  She and my brothers picked out a real tree every year about two weeks before Christmas and we all decorated it together with entirely homemade ornaments.

By the time I was 6, that all had fallen by the wayside, and it was store-bought glass ornaments and a fake tree that looked really fake, and Banquet frozen fried chicken and Potato Buds potatoes for our Christmas dinner instead of the turkey and all the fixings she used to make.  But I have wonderful Christmas memories from then on, too.  Just different.  The point was we were all together.  Every year, she still managed to drive us around the local area the week of Christmas to look at all the outside decorations (we never put any up after I was about 5).  I still very fondly remember a couple of those drives.
No more beans!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2008, 06:36:26 pm »
Tree is erected here in the Rocky Mountains!!

My family went a year or two without much in the way of Christmas decorations or goodies...that's because they all sat around watching TV while I did everything. But now we're back to celebrating the holidays, with my children doing most of the work and me just appreciating and cooking. It makes sense...my son is the tallest one in the house, so he puts the ornaments on the tallest boughs.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2008, 07:36:18 pm »
my children doing most of the work and me just appreciating and cooking.

F-R, if you were cooking for me, I'd be willing to work for it, too!  :)

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • LCARS
« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2008, 07:45:12 pm »
I put up a small one Thanksgiving Day as I had guests over for lunch. I put up the larger tree yesterday, because Dusty's little boy came into town and I wanted him to see the tree and the lights, and his gift underneath.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2008, 10:55:24 pm »
I put up a small one Thanksgiving Day as I had guests over for lunch. I put up the larger tree yesterday, because Dusty's little boy came into town and I wanted him to see the tree and the lights, and his gift underneath.

How nice!  :D  Does he have to wait till Christmas for his gift?

Every year, she still managed to drive us around the local area the week of Christmas to look at all the outside decorations (we never put any up after I was about 5).  I still very fondly remember a couple of those drives.

Barb, when I was small boy in the Sixties, before the Energy Crisis of the Seventies threw a monkey wrench into the whole outside Christmas light thing, driving around to see the lights was one of my most favorite things to do at the holidays.  :)

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #31 on: December 05, 2008, 04:10:25 am »
MiniMeno and I drove around tonight looking at the lights.  There are people a few blocks away who coat every tree, shrub, lamppost, chimney, everything in their yard, in little lights, like someone took a giant bucket of lights-paint and splashed it on.  We have seen them working on this twice this week, in the evenings, which is cool, to watch the progress.  Looking at the lights is one of my favorite things too.  And we've already logged more than four hours (probably 6 or more) listening to the "all Christmas music all the time" radio station.  But not a decoration up at our house, as yet.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #32 on: December 05, 2008, 10:15:21 am »
MiniMeno and I drove around tonight looking at the lights.  There are people a few blocks away who coat every tree, shrub, lamppost, chimney, everything in their yard, in little lights, like someone took a giant bucket of lights-paint and splashed it on.  We have seen them working on this twice this week, in the evenings, which is cool, to watch the progress.  Looking at the lights is one of my favorite things too.  And we've already logged more than four hours (probably 6 or more) listening to the "all Christmas music all the time" radio station.  But not a decoration up at our house, as yet.

I've never put lig --

Wait a minute. I think lights deserve a topic of their own, don't you? OK, off I go to start it.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #33 on: December 05, 2008, 02:51:26 pm »

:D  That sounds lovely! Do they use multicolor or all one color?

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #34 on: December 06, 2008, 05:08:58 am »
:D  That sounds lovely! Do they use multicolor or all one color?

You know, my memory of last year was that it was all tiny white lights, but this year, it's multi-color.  I don't know if my memory is faulty or whuh.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #35 on: November 26, 2017, 12:33:37 am »
It's the weekend after Thanksgiving, and my tree is going up now.

:)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #36 on: November 14, 2018, 10:35:01 am »
Thanksgiving is a week from tomorrow, and the Christmas tree went up the lobby of my workplace yesterday. It was decorated when I came in this morning.  >:(

And the ornaments are not especially cheery and bright.  :P

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #37 on: November 14, 2018, 04:53:37 pm »
Wow, that is pretty early to have the tree up.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #38 on: November 16, 2018, 12:48:47 am »
At Michael's Hobby Shop, everything Christmas-y is on sale at 50 percent off.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #39 on: November 16, 2018, 10:01:20 am »

Too bad I don't have one close by. I could use some new fake holly garland to deck my dining room chandelier.

I guess I could check to see if A.C. Moore, the competitor to Michael's, to keep up.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #40 on: November 16, 2018, 11:30:07 am »

Too bad I don't have one close by. I could use some new fake holly garland to deck my dining room chandelier.

You could probably get live holly at a flower shop.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #41 on: November 17, 2018, 08:42:27 pm »
I passed by a house today that was already decorated for Christmas with lights.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #42 on: November 25, 2018, 07:07:58 pm »
I'm seeing more and more houses are done for the holidays already.

The apartment complex on the other side of the parkway has a bunch of balconies that are already decorated.  When I went to visit mom and dad, the outside of their house is done already too!

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #43 on: November 25, 2018, 07:27:23 pm »
I need to figure out where I'm going to put my tree.

I used to have to small tables that were easily moved, and I  would put the tree by the windows.   Now, I have two larger tables, and their heavier.  I'm not sure I'll be able to put the tree where I used to.  If I do, I'll need to move some stuff around.

I'm also trying to figure out a different way to display my collection of Rudolph stuffed figures.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #44 on: November 26, 2018, 12:34:45 pm »
I set up the tree at my dad's house Saturday evening. Even though it's a little early, because Thanksgiving was so early, I customarily put up the tree on the Saturday evening after Thanksgiving.

On Friday I saw one cut tree being carried on top of a car. I think it's a little early for cut trees,

At two supermarkets I saw some very nice table-size trees that come already mounted in a stand with a reservoir,

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #45 on: November 26, 2018, 09:18:53 pm »
On Friday I saw one cut tree being carried on top of a car. I think it's a little early for cut trees,

I agree.  I would think they'd be very dried out by the time Christmas came.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #46 on: December 01, 2018, 02:53:07 pm »
My artificial tree will be going up today, and last night the Rudolph plushes went out, and the windows got decorated.

Back row: Cowboy on an ostrich, Sam the Snowman, King Moonracer, Charlie in the Box, water pistol that shoots jelly

Middle row: Airplane #1, Clarice, Dolly, Santa, Airplane #2, Rudolph

Front row: Hermey, Polka dotted Elephant, Yukon Cornelius, Train with square wheels, The Abominable Snowman

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #47 on: December 01, 2018, 02:55:56 pm »
My western themed ornaments.

This is a shot of them all, and some other pics will follow, a little closer up.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #48 on: December 01, 2018, 02:58:03 pm »

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #49 on: December 01, 2018, 02:58:54 pm »

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #50 on: December 01, 2018, 02:59:24 pm »

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #51 on: December 01, 2018, 03:00:05 pm »

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #52 on: December 01, 2018, 03:00:42 pm »

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #53 on: December 01, 2018, 06:09:36 pm »
I think my favorite is Yukon Cornelius. Is he a lumbersexual?  ;)

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #54 on: December 02, 2018, 05:11:20 pm »
I think my favorite is Yukon Cornelius. Is he a lumbersexual?  ;)

Perhaps he is!!

;D

Here are some pics of the tree!

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #55 on: December 02, 2018, 05:11:57 pm »

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #56 on: December 02, 2018, 05:12:30 pm »

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #57 on: December 02, 2018, 05:13:39 pm »

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #58 on: December 02, 2018, 05:14:15 pm »

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #59 on: December 03, 2018, 09:31:01 am »
Chuck, tell me again why Dolly is a misfit! 

*runs from Chuck*

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #60 on: December 03, 2018, 09:51:58 am »

Very festive! Looks like you've even got a Hallmark-channel Christmas movie on TV.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #61 on: December 03, 2018, 09:48:41 pm »
Chuck, tell me again why Dolly is a misfit! 

*runs from Chuck*

Paul>>>><<<<Chuck

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #62 on: December 03, 2018, 09:49:32 pm »
Very festive! Looks like you've even got a Hallmark-channel Christmas movie on TV.

Thank you!  And if you're going to decorate the Christmas tree, you need to have something Christmasy on TV!

Offline brianr

« Reply #63 on: December 20, 2018, 03:29:00 pm »
I thought of Chuck with this item on our Current Affairs program last night. The 2 presenters have been arguing about decorations o nteh desk. However Chuck, eat your heart out
Hope you can view , probably starts with an advert.

https://www.tvnz.co.nz/one-news/new-zealand/check-rural-auckland-house-thats-got-all-christmas-bling

No guessing the guys orientation  ;D

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #64 on: December 21, 2018, 09:46:32 pm »
This video is great!  I can't imagine doing all that decorating in my house for the holidays.......if I had a house!  LOL