Author Topic: Photos of "Brokeback Mountain"/Alberta! (ADDED MORE)  (Read 12378 times)

Offline Amber

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • Whiskey anyone?
Photos of "Brokeback Mountain"/Alberta! (ADDED MORE)
« on: July 04, 2006, 02:44:07 pm »
Hey Ya'll ...

I just recently returned from my trip to Alberta/"Brokeback Mountian" and wanted to share a few of the pictures I have with everyone.  Tell you what  :) You'll never find a more beautiful place than Kananaskis Country in Alberta.  You feel like you're *inside* of the movie the entire time.  Whether you're looking for filming sites or not I highly recommend you visit the area.  For me it tops (WAY tops) the Colorado Rockies, Western Washington, and the Black Hills area!  It is so peaceful and serene.

Here are the photos I have at the moment.  http://www.flickr.com/photos/msuamber/  I'm picking up some more tomorrow and will post what I can later!  In the meantime I got the first place they met, the last place they saw each other and a bunch of the in between stuff.  All I'm really missing is the "Twist Ranch" ... if anyone has detailed directions on how to get there I'd REALLY appreciate it - the "just off of 9" deal did NOT help me one bit!  :P

I'll reply to this post later as well with some travelling tips for those who are going to visit the area!

Hope you enjoy the photos!
« Last Edit: July 07, 2006, 01:16:17 pm by msuamber »
"... and Ennis, not big on endearments, said what he said to his horses and daughters, little darlin." ~Proulx

"Life is not a succession of urgents nows; it is a listless trickle of why-should-I's."  Johnny Depp as the Second Earl of Rochester.

Offline JennyC

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
Re: Photos of "Brokeback Mountain"/Alberta!
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2006, 02:56:30 pm »
msuamber,

Thank you very much for sharing the pictures with us.  I am most impressed with the shot of the apartment and the stair case.  To have the poster hanging on the wall is something.  Thank you very much!

Offline nakymaton

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • aka Mel
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2006, 02:59:59 pm »
Oh, nice pictures!

I need to go there. Just... need. So beautiful.
Watch out. That poster has a low startle point.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2006, 11:28:14 am »
Wow! I'm so envious! Thanks for sharing the photos!  :D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2006, 05:15:09 pm »
I propose we all gather there next year, the weekend of the 22nd of June, two days later, (in the story) it will be thw 40th anniversary of Jack and Ennis's reunion.

As time progresses look for other posts from me on this.
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline Danster

• Don't Say Much
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2006, 05:20:38 pm »
Great pics!

I'd love to check those places out someday..

moremojo

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2006, 06:57:47 pm »
Oh my...what beautiful pictures. Thank you so much for sharing them here. It would be such a bittersweet experience for me to find myself in those locations--I think Jack and Ennis would feel so hauntingly real there, and yet ever so distant. I get some of this ghostly sense of what never was and yet somehow is simply by looking at the pictures you posted.

Wistfully,
Scott
« Last Edit: July 05, 2006, 07:04:20 pm by moremojo »

Offline opinionista

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2006, 07:12:39 pm »
msuamber, those pictures are great. What a wonderful idea to visit the movie locations! I'll bet you were imagining the scenes while you were there. Thanks for sharing
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline David

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2006, 07:27:55 pm »
Great pics!!

Would you be interested in sharing them on the Brokeback "Flickr" page??

Here is the link. http://www.flickr.com/groups/13857979@N00/pool/

Offline starboardlight

• nipith.com
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2006, 07:28:20 pm »
I kept having the sense that some of those structures were built as sets, but to see them actually there is great. made it more real to me. thank you for posting them, and welcome to the board.
"To do is to be." Socrates. - "To be is to do." Plato. - "Do be do be do" Sinatra.

Offline tamarack

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2006, 07:39:38 pm »
I propose we all gather there next year, the weekend of the 22nd of June, two days later, (in the story) it will be thw 40th anniversary of Jack and Ennis's reunion.

As time progresses look for other posts from me on this.

Tell you what... I would really love to go out there with some other Brokies. I had decided after my second or third viewing of the movie that I was going to go next year. Then I kind of modified the plan and thought about Wyoming instead, but seeing the photos makes me more prone to want to see the actual locations. Then again, knowing there's a cache in the mountains in Wyoming (put there by some folks from Dave Cullen.com) with a visitors book to sign is also tantalizing. In any event, the important thing would be to be there with others who care as much as I do, whether it's Wyoming or Canada. Please do continue to post about this.

Msuamber, thanks for helping to keep this dream alive with your beautiful pictures.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2006, 07:50:16 pm »
Thank you for sharing these!

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon & Contributor
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • ...a love that will never grow old
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2006, 08:37:44 pm »
Brought happiness to my day-thanks for taking them, thanks for sharing them.

O0

Heathen

Offline Amber

• Whiskey anyone?
Travel Tips etc.
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2006, 05:37:06 pm »
For those of you planning trips to the Alberta area here are some tips for you.

*  I recommend you camp.  The area is gorgeous and camping is MUCH cheaper compared to the pricey resort-area hotels!  There are a LOT of great campgrounds in the Kananaskis area and my husband and I highly recommend the Bow Valley Campground.  www.bowvalleycampgrounds.com

*  Whether you camp or not, remember to bring your raincoat!  It rained nearly everyday we visited.  It didn't rain hard, and it didn't rain for long ... but if you are on a trail and it starts raining both you and your camera are going to be upset.  The area is, if I am remembering right, a temperate rain forest ... so rain is just a fact of life.  That said however, the rainstorms are very spotty and disappear as quickly as they appear.  Just be prepared.

*  The visitors centers have great maps and are very willing to give you directions to particular spots.

*  Pack out your lunches.  If you're camping your cooler has to be in the car at all times anyways (it's bear country!!!) but this is beside the point.  Eat your lunches on the road in some of the beautiful places you'll see.  Some of our favorites were Forgetmenot Pond (off of Highway 66), Elbow Falls (off of 66 - also a filming location), Elbow River Boat Launch (off of Highway 66), Wedge Pond (off of Highway 40), King Creek (off of 40 - filming location as well) and Upper Kananaskis Lake (off of 40 and also a filming location).

*  Bring a decent vehicle.  There are some filming locations that are off of not so "improved gravel roads" in Kananaskis Country.  You won't be able to drive your RV up the steep hills and your 1974 bumper falling off POS car won't make it either.  We rented a Ford Focus ... it was new and it got the job done.  I would have felt safer in an SUV though.  The gravel roads are bumpy and some parts are extremely steep.  Don't skip the gravel roads though, you'll miss stuff you wish you would have seen!

*  Visit Banff, Lake Louise and Emerald Lake.  These spots have nothing to do with the film but are GORGEOUS!  There is an $18 park enterance fee but it is well worth the money.  Banff if super resorty and really pricey but they have some nice views and you can pick up postcards relatively cheap.  When going to Lake Lousie take highway 1A and you'll see a lot of wildlife right on the side of the road - totally cool!  Lake Louise is breathtaking and well worth the trip.  Emerald Lake is a tiny little lake with gorgeous views - there is one resort on the lake and everything else is wildlife. 

*  Canmore is where the cast and crew stayed and since my husband and I don't have a movie star budget we didn't spend a whole lot of time there, but there are some things to see in the area.  You get a REALLY great view of the 3 sisters (one of the commonly featured mountainviews in the movie) from Canmore - that alone is worth it!

*  Bring a good pair of hiking boots or shoes.  A lot of the locations are close to the road - but some of them are straight up a gigantic hill!  You'll want those hiking boots!  Sunscreen and water are also good ideas!

That's what I can remember off the top of my head.  If I have anything else I'll post later.  If you have any questions feel free to ask!! : )
--
"... and Ennis, not big on endearments, said what he said to his horses and daughters, little darlin." ~Proulx

"Life is not a succession of urgents nows; it is a listless trickle of why-should-I's."  Johnny Depp as the Second Earl of Rochester.

Offline tamarack

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2006, 07:59:53 pm »
Great tips, msuamber. I'm printing them out to keep with my ideas for planning.

Thanks.

By the way - how long were you there? Was it enough time or would it have been better if you could have stayed longer? (To enable you to not have to hurry to see all you wanted to take in, I mean. Not would it have been better to have had a longer vacation!)

Offline Amber

• Whiskey anyone?
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2006, 01:10:54 am »
Tell you what ... I could spend the rest of my life there and still not consider it enough time!  "Never enough time, never enough."  How hard is it to become a Canadian citizen?

Seriously though - we stayed in the area for a week.  We spent two days doing things other than looking at filming sites - if I had those two days to spend doing BBM stuff that would have been plenty of time.  Especially if you want to get out there and see a lot of the smaller stuff (the church, the drive in movie theater, grocery store, dance hall etc) it's a lot of driving but I think you could sanely do it in a week.  A lot of things are clustered together so it makes it easier to plan out your day so your not driving all over creation looking for things. 

If you want to see things like Banff and spend some time in Calgary I would suggest adding another 1/2 a week.

So - 1 week dedicated purely to driving around looking for BBM sites and 3 days to enjoy other Alberta sites would be ideal.

Hope that helped!

mvansand76

« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2006, 09:19:49 am »
Hi msuamber, thanks 4 posting these, they are wonderful!

My boyfriend and I were planning (even be4 I had heard of BBM believe it or not!) to go to the Rockies in May of this year, but he had an accident in november and broke his leg in 8 places..... will make sure to contact you before we go for advice and tips!

Offline Amber

• Whiskey anyone?
Re: Photos of "Brokeback Mountain"/Alberta! (ADDED MORE)
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2006, 01:20:29 pm »
We just got our film in the other day and I've added some more photos.  Most are just better shots of the places I already have posted, and some are just scenic views of the area.

I have one roll of film left to develop which has better shots of Ennis's ranch, the diner where he eats his pie and the parking lot where they meet.  As soon as I get those developed I'll post them!

Enjoy  :)

P.S. Thanks for the "plug" on the NEWS banner  :) :) :)  That made my day!
« Last Edit: July 07, 2006, 01:35:49 pm by msuamber »

Offline JennyC

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2006, 03:07:01 pm »
Wow, those scenery pictures are just gorgeous, simply gorgeous!  Keep them coming if you have more!

Thanks for the trip tips too, I know some people here who want to plan the trip will appreciate them.

Offline tamarack

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2006, 07:13:20 am »
So - 1 week dedicated purely to driving around looking for BBM sites and 3 days to enjoy other Alberta sites would be ideal.

That helps a lot, Amber. I'm on the East coast but my brother lives on the Olympic Peninsula. Since I've never seen his place I will be spending a little time out there, too, so your info will definitely help with my timeline.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2006, 08:41:49 am »
Great pictures. The landscape is really beautiful. Thanks for sharing the pics!

I liked especially "The" staircase and the supply bridge.

Offline maggiesmommy GayLee

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Jack Twist was in his dreams.
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2006, 01:48:29 am »
OMG!!!!!  Now it all seems more real than ever. To me Annie P. is merely telling about something that HAPPENED, not spinngin a yarn...it has always been a REAL life story to me, and this just cements it in my mind...to see the actual locations where it happened, wow....like going back to your home town and remembering things that happened there....so cool....THANKS!!!
gay lee

It is not the Number of Breaths We Take that number our days
Rather the Moments that Take our Breath Away

Offline Katie77

• Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2006, 08:47:04 am »
These photos are amazing, thank you for sharing them with everyone....

I have heard about how beautiful Canada is but no description could ever do justice to such a beautiful area that you have photographed.

Being where Brokeback was filmed,of course, makes it all the more special, and no doubt will make a lot of Brokies want to visit.
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline JT

« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2006, 11:08:00 am »
OMG!  Thank you so much, msuamber,  for posting those pics and the tips on going there!  How on earth were you able to find informations on the locations of the film?  I'm so envious but happy for you!  It would be a dream to go on a trip like this someday and retrace the filming location of BBM.

Offline Daphne7661

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2006, 03:03:29 pm »
As usual these days, I just got terribly choked up at the site of these photos of the places of Jack and Ennis...  Seeing that actual staircase actually made me somewhat lightheaded.

What on earth has come over me.....  :'(

Thank you so much, Amber, for sharing your trip and memories with us all.... :)
...Nice to know ya, Ennis del Mar...

Offline Amber

• Whiskey anyone?
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2006, 05:23:41 pm »
There are some great information sources on the web that helped me to pinpoint some of the filming locations.  I have them saved in various locations, but as I track them down I'll add them to this post.

http://www1.travelalberta.com/Stories/index.cfm?action=display&storyID=180
*  This particular link has some detailed information about exact sites and also some general maps to help you locate some of the sites.  The maps were "OK" they didn't help that much, but at least you knew you were going in the right direction.

**I'll post more of the links that helped me later!

I'm so glad you guys are enjoying these photos as much as I am.  The scenery itself is great and everyone loves those pictures but to be able to share the details like the final lake scene, the staircase etc. with people who actually understand and "get" the significance of the photos really makes me happy.  I know I'm a little less "alone" in my joy and that is always a great thing  :D

Offline JT

« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2006, 08:26:56 pm »
Thanks for the link, Amber!  It's actually quite helpful. 

You know, you'll never be alone regarding this.  I thought I was alone until I stumbled into this wonderful site.  Your photos were not only beautiful, but had a lot of sentimental value as well.  They brought a rush of emotions everytime I view them.  Thank you!

Offline tamarack

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2006, 09:15:00 pm »
Amber gave me the go-ahead to post this new website - www.findingbrokeback.com - on her thread. It has some very good information about movie locations, lodging, etc. by three Brokies (including the guy who bought Jack's old truck).

Offline bbm_stitchbuffyfan

• Ennis and Jack are Forever
« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2006, 10:24:32 pm »
One of my goals in life is to make this trip...
If you'd just realize what I just realized then we'd be perfect for each other and we'd never have to wonder if we missed out on each other now
We missed out on each other now

R.I.P. Heath Ledger

Offline tamarack

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2006, 08:58:25 am »
One of my goals in life is to make this trip...

It's a great goal to have - I'm trying to get myself in a position to go out there next summer myself.

(I work with a huge buffy fan, btw.)
« Last Edit: July 14, 2006, 10:48:46 am by tamarack »

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #30 on: July 14, 2006, 11:32:47 am »
Thanks for posting these, Amber! The mountains are beautiful, but my favorite was the staircase! Must look funny to anyone not familiar with the movie when they pass by and see BBM-loving tourists gazing longingly at the staircase, taking pictures of the staircase ... and maybe now and then doing even more than that on the staircase!  ;)

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2006, 01:28:25 pm »
... and maybe now and then doing even more than that on the staircase!  ;)

LOL I wouldn't have thought of this, but you're right: it's a must  :laugh:

Offline Amber

• Whiskey anyone?
« Reply #32 on: July 14, 2006, 01:32:22 pm »
I remember someone posting on another board (can't remember which one) that it has been a very popular location for people to renact the scene - of course!  However, there is a photography shop on the first level, that I hear often sees more than they want to!  *lol*

When we drove away my husband commented that he couldn't believe that I didn't want to throw him against the wall.  I said "correction, I withheld from throwing you against the wall" *lol* I didn't want to disturb the people in the apartments above  :)

Offline Amber

• Whiskey anyone?
« Reply #33 on: July 14, 2006, 01:48:50 pm »
Holy cow!  I just checked out the site that tamarack posted - ANYTHING you'd ever want to know about filming locations is here!!  If you are visiting the area then this site is a MUST.

I'm totally bummed to learn that I was sooooo close to pinning down some of the sites that I missed.  But at least it gives me a really good reaons to return  :)

Thanks so much for sharing tamarack!

Offline JT

« Reply #34 on: July 19, 2006, 08:12:36 pm »
!!!!!!!!!!!
That site that tamarack posted was awesome indeed!!  Yes, thank you so much tamarack and thank you too, Amber!  Seeing those picks brings a surge of emotions again.  It makes me want to go there now.