Author Topic: Open Forum Brokeback Thanksgiving Symbolism Quiz  (Read 19791 times)

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
Re: Open Forum Brokeback Thanksgiving Symbolism Quiz
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2008, 12:43:31 am »

Using electric knife.---------  compensating for lack of masculinity.  Needs something to compensate lack of  strength.

Lureen's bleached blond hair.----------  Trying to gain attention.  She is desperate to change what is not working.

Peaches and Cereal.----------  An innocent start.   Someone who doesnt understand the real now, and its importance.

Ear stroke.-----------  Learned behavior.  Trying to relay what was his feeling when he recieved that touch.

Transparent bread bag. ---------  Ready to reveal something that has been hidden.

Sour Expression.----------  The old way is spoiled, and the new way is not what was wanted.

Punching the truck driver.---------   Showing to all outward appearances his masculinity.. Not a chickenshit.

Getting beaten up. -----------  Showing a double meaning, he can take it like a man.

Swearing at your father-in-law.----------  Showing not afraid to stand up to authority figures.

Yelling at your x-wife. ---------  Letting her know that you are still in charge of your life.  Not a whipped man.

Beautiful mind

Offline jstephens9

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2008, 12:44:47 am »
There's JANICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  ;D :)

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2008, 06:22:15 am »
So, I have a question about the clear bread bag scene.  I recall conversations about the clear bread bag in this argument scene between Ennis and Alma on Thanksgiving being a "bookend" to an earlier kitchen scene where there is a loaf of bread in a paper/opaque bag.  If I recall correctly, the idea is that in the earlier scene, everyone is keeping secrets, but in this Thanksgiving scene truths are revealed.

because it's going to drive me nuts until I remember correctly.  I may even have to watch the movie!!
:o  :D

The bread in the closed, opaque box was in the kitchen scene at the lonsesome ranch:

Between those two kitchen scenes (first: at the lonesome ranch, third: Thanksgiving), we have a second kitchen scene where the bread is still in a box, but the box is open and you can see the bread. The bread is only half hidden. It's the scene when Ennis gets Jack's first postcard (and he washes his hands in the sink):

Oh, and the ventilator is prominently seen here. "Look what the wind blew in" - a postcard from Jack :D.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2008, 03:14:19 pm »

The bread in the closed, opaque box was in the kitchen scene at the lonsesome ranch:

Between those two kitchen scenes (first: at the lonesome ranch, third: Thanksgiving), we have a second kitchen scene where the bread is still in a box, but the box is open and you can see the bread. The bread is only half hidden. It's the scene when Ennis gets Jack's first postcard (and he washes his hands in the sink):

Oh, and the ventilator is prominently seen here. "Look what the wind blew in" - a postcard from Jack :D.

Thanks Chrissi!  :)  Yep, when I was looking at the screencaps I saw the bread boxes in the two earlier kitchens, but somehow I was (mis)remembering a loaf of bread in a brown bag in one of the earlier kitchens.  Thanks for the reminders about how all of the chain of bread boxes and then the clear bag fit together.
:)

And, yep, I love the vent in the kitchen.  I also love the way the vent with the hot steam kicks up outside just as Ennis pulls into the driveway leading up to the first-postcard scene.

This is giving me the urge to bump the Jack and the Wind thread.
:)

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2008, 03:55:21 pm »
A big thanks  :-* to everyone who has participated in the quiz, so far. Interestingly, I don't think anybody here gave answers that exactly matched those I had in mind. Here's what I would have said:

Electric knife = Vibrator

Lureen's blonde hair = Disappointment

Peaches and cereal = Prop snafu

Ear stroke = Learned affection

Transparent bread bag = Revelation

Sour expression = Bitterness

Punching a truck driver = Masculinity

Getting beat up = Compensating

Swearing at your father-in-law = Rebellion

Yelling at your ex-wife = Not a sinner

But again, all answers are acceptable. In fact, as I was doing mine, I can see that I might just as easily have put "swearing at your father-in-law" with "masulinity" and so on. (And to be honest, some of these probably don't quite qualify as symbols.)

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2008, 08:54:32 pm »

LOL, "not a sinner" was the only option I couldn't or didn't match with one of the offered images.  Although, now that you mention it, I can see why it would work for the "yelling at your ex-wife" scene.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2008, 11:36:24 pm »
Interesting quiz!  Thanks, Katherine.  :)

I thought there was nothing new to me in BBM over-analysis, but the bread boxes never occurred to me.  Thanks for the insight, Chrissi.  8)

There's another place I remember thinking I saw a loaf of bread:

Symbolism?
Ich bin ein Brokie...

retropian

« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2008, 12:02:24 am »
Even though this is a Beer commercial. It reminded me of Monroe!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4TpF3K3AVI

Ennis I think would be the Miller type here.

how do you get the vid to showup in the message? I haven't been able to get that done.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2008, 08:48:58 am »
Even though this is a Beer commercial. It reminded me of Monroe!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4TpF3K3AVI

Ennis I think would be the Miller type here.

how do you get the vid to showup in the message? I haven't been able to get that done.

Above the text box where you write your messages is a row of cowboy smileys. Above them are two rows of icons (for bold, italics, etc.).  In the second row (directly the one above the smileys) the second icon from the left is the youtube icon.
Click it, then you get this (without spaces):

[youtube=425,350 ][ /youtube]

Insert the adress of the youtube video between the square brackets and it's done! :)

Looks like this (I added spaces into the square brackets, otherwise you couldn't see the code)

[youtube=425,350 ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4TpF3K3AVI[ /youtube]

Without spaces:
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4TpF3K3AVI[/youtube]

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2008, 08:55:22 am »
I thought there was nothing new to me in BBM over-analysis,

;D ;D ;D

but the bread boxes never occurred to me.  Thanks for the insight, Chrissi.  8)

Welcome. Just for the records: those weren't all my ideas. I was summarizing what has been contributed by several Brokies over the years.

There's another place I remember thinking I saw a loaf of bread:

Symbolism?

Is it a loaf of bread? I thought it's a package of flour and it raises flour dust when it gets broken. But I wouldn't bet on it. Will check later.