Author Topic: A Holiday Survey!  (Read 24464 times)

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: A Holiday Survey!
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2008, 06:34:38 pm »
We always serve it with wide noodles. Green salad fits nicely as a healthy side dish, since the Castle's Secret is a heavy, high-calory meal.

Hubby and me made it a tradition in our family to have it every Christmas Eve. :)

Yum! What time are you serving?  ;)

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2008, 06:44:39 pm »

1. Wrapping paper or gift bags?  Wrapping paper, but some gifts are just easier to fit into a bag.

2. Real tree or Artificial?  Real tree

3 When do you put your tree up? First week in Dec.

4 When do you take the tree down?  January 2

5. Do you like eggnog?   No

6. Favorite gift received as a child?   Telescope

7 Hardest person to buy for?    siblings

8. Easiest person to buy for? Mom

9. Do you have a nativity scene?   NO 

10. Mail or email Christmas cards?   MAIL

11. Worst Christmas gift you ever received?   Overly scented candle. HAd to throw it out.

12. Favorite Christmas Movie/Cartoon?  Scrooge (1970) with Albert Finney   

13. When do you start shopping for Christmas?   Mid November

14. Have you ever regifted a Christmas present?    No

15. Favorite thing to eat at Christmas?   

16. Lights on the tree?   Small non-blinking colored lights.

17. Favorite Christmas song?  I'm burnt out on my favorites. Something from THE NUTCRACKER always sets a good mood. 

18. Travel at Christmas or stay home?   Travel

19. Can you name all of Santa's reindeer?    No

20. Angel on the tree top or a star?  Neither 

21. Open presents on Christmas Eve or morning?   Both. If ppl who gave me the gifts show up on X-mas day, I open them then. Same for Christmas eve.  I like ppl to open my gifts when I there.

22. Most annoying thing about this time of the year?   Stress

23. Favorite Ornament theme or color?   Gold. It gets their attn. I think Martha Stewart has had an influence on me.

24. Favorite for Christmas dinner?  Meatballs for snacks 

25. What do you want for Christmas this year?   Gift card at Barnes and Noble Bookstore is fine. In my fantasies, it would be a Persian rug.

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2008, 07:47:21 pm »
1. Wrapping paper or gift bags?  Wrapping paper.  I love to wrap presents at the last minute, the night of the 23rd, listening to Christmas music.

2. Real tree or Artificial?  I grew up with artificial, which I hated.  Ever since I moved out, it's been a real tree. 

3 When do you put your tree up?  Usually a week later than I should.

4 When do you take the tree down?  Usually a week later than I should.

5. Do you like eggnog?   Enough to have just one a year, preferably with bourbon.

6. Favorite gift received as a child?   A toy Aston Martin from "Goldfinger", complete with all the gadgets and gizmos.

7 Hardest person to buy for?    My sister has very specific taste.   

8. Easiest person to buy for?   A good friend, who always wants earrings picked out by me. 

9. Do you have a nativity scene?   No, but I made one in Cub Scouts that my Mom still has.  She also has a beautiful Hummel nativity that comes out every few years.   

10. Mail or email Christmas cards?    Probably both this year.  

11. Worst Christmas gift you ever received?    It's the thought that counts! 

12. Favorite Christmas Movie/Cartoon?  Sublime:  "A Christmas Memory" by Truman Capote; Ridiculous:  "Scrooged" with Bill Murray.     

13. When do you start shopping for Christmas? I shop throughout the year, and carefully put away things for people.   

14. Have you ever regifted a Christmas present?   No.   

15. Favorite thing to eat at Christmas?   Pfeffernusse, these wonderful German spice cookies with a thin hard sugar glaze.     

16. Lights on the tree?  White only, and lots of them.  

17. Favorite Christmas song?   That's tough.  I have way too much Christmas music.  Probably "In the bleak midwinter".   

18. Travel at Christmas or stay home?  Stay home.   

19. Can you name all of Santa's reindeer?   You betcha!   

20. Angel on the tree top or a star?  Crystal star.   

21. Open presents on Christmas Eve or morning?   Both.  

22. Most annoying thing about this time of the year?   Bad Christmas music that's inescapable.    

23. Favorite Ornament theme or color?   I do only silver, gold and crystal.  Lots of icicles, even antique chandelier prisms.  

24. Favorite for Christmas dinner? Rack of lamb.  If we have crowd, I'll also do a goose.   

25. What do you want for Christmas this year?    A weekend away.   

Thanks, Chuckie, that was fun!

Offline jstephens9

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2008, 08:46:32 pm »
5. Do you like eggnog?  Yes! with Jack Daniels!

My kind of guy  ;)

Offline jstephens9

« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2008, 08:50:18 pm »
What's that, Chrissi?

It's basically medallions of pork fillet in Bressot- sauce. You wrap every slice of medallion in a slice of bacon. Not really bacon, something in higher quality, like Spanish Jamon, with much less fat than bacon has.
Place the medallions tightly packed in a casserole dish (but sauté the medallions gently before). The sauce is made of Bressot and sour cream. Bressot is a specific cream cheese with herbs.
Mix sour cream with Bressot, pour it on the medallions and put the whole thing in the oven.

We always serve it with wide noodles. Green salad fits nicely as a healthy side dish, since the Castle's Secret is a heavy, high-calory meal.

Hubby and me made it a tradition in our family to have it every Christmas Eve. :)

And it's called "secret" because you can't see what's in the casserole when you take it out of the oven. The sauce is so thick, you don't see the meat. But I have no idea where the "castle" part comes from :laugh:.

That sounds good. Ok, guess I am headed to Germany for Christmas with Chrissi and her family  ;D

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2008, 09:18:19 pm »
Have you tried rum? I used to do brandy, but my husband was a rum person, and I discovered those flavors go better.

Ooh - I like Myer's Dark Rum with it, too. 

Barb <--- Resident Lush
No more beans!

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2008, 09:52:17 pm »
Barb <--- Resident Lush

You're gonna have to fight for that title, Missy.  ;)

Offline Clyde-B

• Clyde-B when he was Jack and Ennis's age
« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2008, 10:09:34 pm »
My kind of guy  ;)

Just about everything is better with Jack Daniels!    :laugh:

Offline jstephens9

« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2008, 12:05:01 am »
Just about everything is better with Jack Daniels!    :laugh:

I agree with that 100%  ;D

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2008, 12:51:17 am »

1. Wrapping paper or gift bags? 

Wrapping paper. I LOVE to wrap presents. It's one of my favorite things to do. I love to wrap presents while watching a Christmas movie. I spend a lot of time on each present. Lots of ribbons and I normally tie my bows by hand. I love the solid color wrapping paper. Then I add additional color with the ribbons and bows. My favorite paper is the solid red paper (blue and green also) with a slightly shiny finish. I also love the gold and silver foil papers.

2. Real tree or Artificial?

Artificial. My artificial tree looks very real. I also spend lots and lots of hours shaping and decorating the tree. I'm very fussy about it. lol 

3 When do you put your tree up?

Normally the first or second week in December. I really don't have a specific date. I put it up when I'm in the mood.

4 When do you take the tree down? 

Epiphany (January 6)

5. Do you like eggnog?  

Some years I do, and others I don't. I think I probably won't like it this year. It's awfully sweet and thick. :P If I drink it, I prefer it with alcohol. The alcohol helps to cut the sweetness a little.

6. Favorite gift received as a child?  

The puppet theater my great aunt and uncle gave me. It had a stage with curtains that opened and closed. It also had about a dozen different backgrounds and 6 marionette puppets. They were beautiful, very ornate. It probably wasn't the best thing to give a 10 year old, but I appreciated it. I wish I had it now. I'm not sure what happened to it. I also loved my Lego and Lincoln Log sets.

7 Hardest person to buy for?    

My Dad. Definately. He's impossible to buy for. I normally just buy him a gift card and let him get his gift himself.

8. Easiest person to buy for? 

My nieces and nephew.

9. Do you have a nativity scene?    

Yes.

10. Mail or email Christmas cards?

Mail.  

11. Worst Christmas gift you ever received?

Somebody actually gave me a fruit cake once! Yuck. I pulled it into pieces and fed it the birds and animals outside.  

12. Favorite Christmas Movie/Cartoon? 

Rudolph the Red Nosed Raindeer. I also love The Preacher's Wife, A Christmas Carol with George C. Scott, Miracle on 34th Street, It's a Wonderful Life, The Bishop's Wife, A Charlie Brown Christmas, etc...    

13. When do you start shopping for Christmas?  

Middle to late November. Although if I find something in June or July I will go ahead and buy it, if I'm certain it will make a nice gift for somebody.

14. Have you ever regifted a Christmas present?

Several times, years ago. I know. It's terrible isn't it?    

15. Favorite thing to eat at Christmas? 

Yes. :laugh: 

16. Lights on the tree? 

Some years I like solid lights (miniature, non twinkling) and other years I like multi colored lights. I'm thinking about using solid blue lights this year.  

17. Favorite Christmas song? 

Carol of the Bells. Also Oh Holy Night.  

18. Travel at Christmas or stay home? 

Stay home. By that I mean I stay here in town, but I travel to several different places on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. 

19. Can you name all of Santa's reindeer?    

Yup!

20. Angel on the tree top or a star? 

Angel. Every year she gets a tree top up her ass. I'm thinking about giving her a break this year and using a bow up there instead. My angel is animated. She moves. She has a candle that lights up in each hand.  

21. Open presents on Christmas Eve or morning?

At my house we generally open up one or two presents on Christmas Eve night and the rest on Christmas Day. With everyone else, I go over to their house on Christmas Day.  

22. Most annoying thing about this time of the year? 

The terrible traffic at the stores and malls. The parking lots are full and the lines are awful at the checkout aisles.    

23. Favorite Ornament theme or color? 

I have many wooden ornaments on my tree. I also like the traditional shiny ornaments. Some of my ornaments have a scene inside of them - Santa, a teddy bear, and other things. 

24. Favorite for Christmas dinner?  

Ham. 

25. What do you want for Christmas this year?

I really don't know. I haven't thought about it too much. The promise of a stress free year would be nice, but I know that isn't going to happen! ;) 

[/quote]
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.