Author Topic: Ennis & Alma's wedding scene  (Read 12227 times)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: Ennis & Alma's wedding scene
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2008, 11:31:26 pm »
He must obviously be Alma's minister who's had a secret crush on her for ages. To be replaced by Monroe in time.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2008, 11:33:53 pm »
He must obviously be Alma's minister who's had a secret crush on her for ages. To be replaced by Monroe in time.

Do you mean that Monroe replaces the minister as the holder of an Alma crush? Or that Monroe replaces Alma in the minister's affections?

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2008, 11:35:56 pm »

I think the Jolly Minister is foreshadowing of Monroe...  Maybe the minister illustrates Alma's longstanding ability to attract slightly pasty, dorky guys.  :laugh:

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BBM Radio Program Director
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2008, 12:10:16 am »
You are all funny.  I never thought the Jolly Minister represented anything...  Just a Minister being a Minister...adding some comic relief to what are usually very serious and intense moments.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2008, 12:13:28 am »
You are all funny.  I never thought the Jolly Minister represented anything...  Just a Minister being a Minister...adding some comic relief to what are usually very serious and intense moments.

We three are happy to entertain you, friend Eric! Think of it as your BBM comic relief!!
 ;D

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BBM Radio Program Director
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2008, 12:14:44 am »
We three are happy to entertain you, friend Eric! Think of it as your BBM comic relief!!
 ;D

:-*

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2008, 12:18:04 am »
I owe it to you for all those wonderful backrubs!! And for being a true friend!!  :-* back at ya!

Offline Katie77

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2008, 12:30:05 am »
I think this is Alma's home town, where she was probably born, and the minister has probably been a family friend for most of her life, as is likely to happen in small towns back then.

His comments were that of a close family friend, any thought of a crush on her are pretty preposterous.

I think the wedding scene was no more than it was intended to be...a small family wedding on a tight budget. I dont think the bloke with the dark hair was placed in the shot on purpose nor were there any hidden meanings or interpretations, hidden in the scene.

It was there to show the next path that Ennis followed after his adventure with Jack on Brokeback Mountain. It showed that life went on as had been planned before Brokeback and that Ennis was committing to a life that was considered the normal life he should be leading.....regardless of what was going on in his head at the time.

Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2008, 12:42:21 am »

Yes, I do think there's some comin relief intended with the Jolly Minister.  But, I think his comment about "if you don't, I will" about kissing Alma probably went right to the heart of Ennis's insecurities.  It's like the Minister is reading Ennis's mind in lack of desire to kiss Alma.  I'm not saying that the minister could "tell" that Ennis was gay.  But, the Minister seems to be verbalizing Ennis's reluctance here.

I think that Ennis looks almost as miserable in this scene as he does in the divorce scene... but with different emotional inflections.  In the wedding he seems tense enough to burst, where as in the divorce he seems mostly dejected.  Although, both scenes involve crying in an interesting way... since the wedding scene is introduced with the shot of Ennis crying in the alley with the ministers voice-over.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2008, 12:51:43 am »
Yes, I do think there's some comin relief intended with the Jolly Minister.  But, I think his comment about "if you don't, I will" about kissing Alma probably went right to the heart of Ennis's insecurities.  It's like the Minister is reading Ennis's mind in lack of desire to kiss Alma.  I'm not saying that the minister could "tell" that Ennis was gay.  But, the Minister seems to be verbalizing Ennis's reluctance here.

And I think it's significant that he's a man of the cloth. It's almost like a slight foreshadowing of the "fire and brimstone crowd" scene. Sort of like, if Ennis doesn't kiss Alma, there'll be a religious consequence to pay.

I think that Ennis looks almost as miserable in this scene as he does in the divorce scene... but with different emotional inflections.  In the wedding he seems tense enough to burst, where as in the divorce he seems mostly dejected.  Although, both scenes involve crying in an interesting way... since the wedding scene is introduced with the shot of Ennis crying in the alley with the ministers voice-over.

Yes, they do seem bookendish, don't they.