Author Topic: A Prarie Home Companion~  (Read 5128 times)

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "It's nobody's business but ours."
    • "every sort of organized noise"
A Prarie Home Companion~
« on: July 05, 2006, 12:32:17 am »
See it, see it, see it, see it, see it, see it, see it, see it.
"We're each of us alone, to be sure. What can you do but hold your hand out in the dark?" --"Nine Lives," by Ursula K. Le Guin, from The Wind's Twelve Quarters

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BBM Radio Program Director
  • BetterMost Moderator
Re: A Prarie Home Companion~
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2006, 12:53:02 am »
I saw it last Sunday.  I LOVED IT.  I didn't want it to end.  I want to see it again!

I especially loved seeing the 'RiverRoad Studio' logo again before the movie too!  Reminded me of them good ol' Brokeback days...  :D

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2006, 02:20:34 am »
I guess that means it was good?   :)

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2006, 02:40:49 am »
I saw it last Sunday.  I LOVED IT.  I didn't want it to end.  I want to see it again!

I especially loved seeing the 'RiverRoad Studio' logo again before the movie too!  Reminded me of them good ol' Brokeback days...  :D

The Lindsay Lohan thing put a bad taste in my mouth...its good despite her?

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2006, 05:29:39 am »

That was about the only thing I liked!

Seriously, it was all I could do not to fall asleep in the middle. Lily Tomlin was very funny and I enjoyed her but that was about it for me.
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2006, 05:30:22 am »
The Lindsay Lohan thing put a bad taste in my mouth...its good despite her?

I am not sure what the point of LL's character was, to be honest.
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline littleguitar

• She was always a lonely child...
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2006, 09:40:22 am »
I liked it but I didn't LOVE it... it had some really funny moments, most of the acting was amazing, Meryl Streep and, surprisingly, Woody Harrelson made the movie for me... but there was a real cheese factor to it that I didn't expect and did not enjoy... the lady in the white trench coat? It just didn't work for me, I thought she was out of place and pointless.  But, I was able to ignore her and the cheesy ending and enjoy the rest.  All in all it's a lot of fun!
‘cause the truth is, I already give him everythin’ I got to give, more than I ever even knew I had; ‘n it all for him, all of it, him who is my brother, my father, my child, my friend, my lover, my heart, my soul; my Ennis.

-- del Mar Painting, Ch. 48 by b73

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2006, 09:43:11 am »
I liked it but I didn't LOVE it... it had some really funny moments, most of the acting was amazing, Meryl Streep and, surprisingly, Woody Harrelson made the movie for me... but there was a real cheese factor to it that I didn't expect and did not enjoy... the lady in the white trench coat? It just didn't work for me, I thought she was out of place and pointless.  But, I was able to ignore her and the cheesy ending and enjoy the rest.  All in all it's a lot of fun!

The lady in the white coat didn't work for me, either, and I got tired of her drifting around with that look on her face. Turning Guy Noir into a real person was a clever idea, but I don't think they pulled it off. I did like Dusty and Lefty and their song near the end, but I have heard all the jokes on the annual joke show a zillion times.

Offline starboardlight

• nipith.com
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2006, 10:24:35 am »
I liked the movie enough, but I have to admit, I miss the characters. I thought Dusty and Lefty just weren't the ones I've come to love. I thought they were just two actors who didn't have any connection to the characters. I also was disappointed in Guy Noir. Kline did bring humor, but it's not the same. I guess, if they had titled the film with a fictional show, and gave the characters different names, I probably would have liked it more. But they didn't. They've set us fans of the radio show up to expect those things that we love from the radio show, and they didn't deliver.
"To do is to be." Socrates. - "To be is to do." Plato. - "Do be do be do" Sinatra.

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2006, 10:48:47 am »
Didn't anyone but me think Streep was wonderful? Boy, the way she could belt out a song, and her and Tomlin together were teriffic. I haven't laughed in a movie theater since I saw Sophie School (just kidding). I don't get a joke channel, or whatever, so all the jokes were nice and fresh for me. And Lefty and friend-=-I don't kow the originals, so they seemed fine too.

This is a better version of  "In the Sweet Bye and Bye":

Long-=haired prachers come out every night
And they tell you what's wrong and what's right
But when asked about something to eat
They will answer in voices so sweet:

You will eat
bye and bye
in that wonderful land beyond the sky;
work and pray
live on hay
there'll be pie in the sky when you die.

(friom Depression times).

I thought the Angel in the White Coat (not lady) made an inetresting character, and I like almost all the songs

I used to work in Chicago, in a department store
I used to work in Chicago, I did but I don't anymore.
Lady came into the store one eday
I asked her what she came for
"LIquor," she said
and lick 'er I did
I don't work there anymore.

Obviously, I just have a crude sense of humor...

YO, Leslie, still want to know wehat C2 means...when you get around to it. That was ALL I wanted...
« Last Edit: July 05, 2006, 10:53:33 am by julie01 »
"We're each of us alone, to be sure. What can you do but hold your hand out in the dark?" --"Nine Lives," by Ursula K. Le Guin, from The Wind's Twelve Quarters

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BBM Radio Program Director
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2006, 12:37:05 pm »
Well I've seen it four times now  :laugh:, and bought the soundtrack with the bonus DVD.  :D

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2006, 12:59:01 pm »
I'll be seeing it again too, and buying the souindtrack, and points west.

Offline henrypie

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2006, 01:42:42 pm »
I just saw it yesterday, in fact.
Maybe it was bad case of high expectations, but I didn't love it.  I could watch Meryl Streep for hours and thought her performance was great.  I thought Kevin Kline's performance was dear and kind of an Otto (A Fish Called Wanda) redux, which cannot be a bad thing.  But I couldn't figure out the tone -- the slapstick wasn't funny enough; the ominous wasn't particularly ominous; the sad didn't reach me.  It was, in a way, as through the glass in the booth -- just didn't reach me.

I was annoyed by the audience, who seemed to confuse what was familiar with what was funny, and therefore laughed at everything.

I was also looking for a gimmick that didn't really happen -- I wanted the show to be in stricter real-time.  It almost was (it's a two-hour show), but there was no News from Lake Wobegon, and the reading of the letters was aborted, and not all that amusingly, and the sound-effects thing could have been really satisfying but wasn't.

But hooray for Robin and Linda Williams -- they rocked.

Offline henrypie

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2006, 01:51:40 pm »
p.s. I was scorching Dusty and Lefty with scrutiny.  You know, cowboys.  With guitars.  But they seemed really straight.  There seems to be more chemistry between Keillor and Russell.

Offline starboardlight

• nipith.com
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2006, 08:23:23 pm »
p.s. I was scorching Dusty and Lefty with scrutiny.  You know, cowboys.  With guitars.  But they seemed really straight.  There seems to be more chemistry between Keillor and Russell.

same here. These are not the Dusty and Lefty that I've come to love. To me, they were just two actors who told jokes.
"To do is to be." Socrates. - "To be is to do." Plato. - "Do be do be do" Sinatra.

Offline henrypie

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2006, 09:42:57 am »
Amen, Starbie.
HUP!