Author Topic: Looking Through the Window  (Read 35018 times)

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • There's no reins on this one....
Re: Looking Through the Window
« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2011, 03:34:51 pm »
Very good thread!  I've always loved this layered shot of Alma through both the nursery and kitchen windows:

Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2011, 04:49:02 pm »
Very good thread!  I've always loved this layered shot of Alma through both the nursery and kitchen windows:

Great minds and all that! :D
Earlier today I noticed this one is missing. Well, there are more, I'm sure, but this came to my mind most prominently. I went to Stripedwall and found it, but then photobucket didn't load for me, so I couldn't share.

Another thought I had:
Windows both seperate and connect one world (outside) with the other (inside).
When Ennis and Jack have their reunion, Alma sees them, but is seperated through a screen door (just as semi-permeable as a window).
Ennis watches Junior walk walk back to and enter the house in which she lives, while Ennis is both, locked out of the house, and inside the car.

Ennis is very often seen inside, glancing (sometimes longingly) outside. We've noted that before. But then there's this shot:

Ennis leaving the post-office after returning Jack's first card, saying "You bet."
Ennis is outside, and this is stressed (in opposite to the mountain scenes, where "outside" is regular) by the fact that we, the viewers suddenly are on the inside and watch Ennis being out. Of course not "out" in the sense of sexualitiy, but rather "outgoing", daring something, getting over himself. I think all this is reflected by the way Ang Lee shot this view.

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2011, 01:55:08 pm »

Ennis is very often seen inside, glancing (sometimes longingly) outside. We've noted that before. But then there's this shot:

Ennis leaving the post-office after returning Jack's first card, saying "You bet."
Ennis is outside, and this is stressed (in opposite to the mountain scenes, where "outside" is regular) by the fact that we, the viewers suddenly are on the inside and watch Ennis being out. Of course not "out" in the sense of sexualitiy, but rather "outgoing", daring something, getting over himself. I think all this is reflected by the way Ang Lee shot this view.

Wow, these are excellent observations, Chrissi!

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #33 on: August 14, 2011, 03:34:31 pm »

I agree with you Chrissi, and also, is Ang perhaps challenging the viewer very subtly, saying, "How about you? Is this your point of view?"
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #34 on: May 28, 2014, 01:58:17 pm »
Is it Throw-back Thursday yet? Close enough!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #35 on: March 28, 2015, 10:11:09 am »
Indiewire does an overview of reflections in 120 movies and features the shot of Ennis walking away, reflected in Jack's rear-view:

http://blogs.indiewire.com/pressplay/watch-the-power-of-reflection-in-120-films-in-five-minutes-20150327

Offline morrobay

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #36 on: March 28, 2015, 10:47:20 am »
That was interesting to watch, thanks for posting the link.  I also saw Heath from Monster's Ball (I think) and Jake from Idon'tknowwhat movie...maybe Jarhead?
"Do you mind if I smoke?"
"I don't care if you shoot up."

Offline morrobay

« Reply #37 on: March 28, 2015, 11:12:01 am »
I thought of 2 scenes in my tied-for-all-time-favorite movie, Free Fall.  The first is of Marc as he leaves a room where his pregnant girlfriend is sleeping.  He sees himself in the mirror, I read it as the moment he breaks into two separate people.  He can't stop thinking of the man who has infiltrated his life, and this is when he makes the decision that will change his life.

It's very dark; all the scenes inside his house are dark and close in, confining, suffocating.  Like Brokeback, when he's with Kay, the two of them are (usually) outside, rain or shine.

Offline morrobay

« Reply #38 on: March 28, 2015, 11:19:45 am »
after his gf has the baby, i'm sure he thought he would be over his infatuation with Kay, and that things would return to "normal".  

As he holds his son, he looks at himself in the mirror and says in a whisper, "What are you looking at?  What are you looking at?  Look at that."

I'm so sorry more people haven't seen this movie, although I'm sure not all viewers would be as taken with it as I am.  I think it's truly worth the time to see.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #39 on: March 28, 2015, 07:38:20 pm »
I hope to see Free Fall soon. Been wanting to watch it but my Netflicks doesn't work so well.

I think I saw two clips from Jake Gyllenhaal's Nitecrawler.