Author Topic: How Did Ennis Vote?  (Read 11258 times)

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
How Did Ennis Vote?
« on: December 05, 2008, 01:41:23 am »
How Did Ennis Vote?

Ennis was 19 when he and Jack met in 1963. That would make him 64 now. How do you think he voted in the recent U.S. election? Tell us why you think he chose to vote that way. When responding, kindly bear in mind that this is the friendly Polling Place, moderated by our sweet-natured buddy, David. Out of respect for David (and Ennis!), let's all be nice to each other here. Enjoy the poll! :D
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
Re: How Did Ennis Vote?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2008, 02:24:57 am »
I feel pretty sure that he didn´t vote at all so I picked that option. If he had been forced to, though, I think he would have voted republican given the fact where he lived and that one of his character traits is fear. He would have voted on what was familiar to him.

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2008, 02:47:52 am »
I also chose the option that Ennis did not vote.

During his years with Jack, '[they] could hunt in November' which leaves me with the sense that he would be focused on his personal issues and not worried overmuch about national politics. (Truman gets credit for this idea.)

As Ennis aged, if he were even still alive in 2008, I cannot envision him as a man with interests extending much beyond his day-to-day existence.  I would guess he'd feel so estranged from his fellow man (those on the 'pavement') that he would not even consider that his point of view would be valid.

:-\
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2008, 02:53:42 am »
I also chose the option that Ennis did not vote.

During his years with Jack, '[they] could hunt in November' which leaves me with the sense that he would be focused on his personal issues and not worried overmuch about national politics. (Truman gets credit for this idea.)

good one and probably very true, Lynne and Truman :)

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2008, 03:38:45 am »

I voted "Did not vote." I don't see Ennis as a particularly political kinda fella. I believe he would consider his ranch duties and the stock in his care to be vastly more important than mere politics!  ;)   ;D

If, however, voting was compulsory in America, as it is in Australia, where I live, I feel Ennis would probably have voted Republican. Why? I guess because of his rural Wyoming roots and conservative outlook.

:-*   {{{ ENNIS }}}   :-*
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2008, 02:48:38 pm »
I also went with "did not vote." I don't think of Ennis as paying much attention to politics.

If he had voted, I'm sure he'd vote Republican, because he's a conformist and most people around him would be Republicans. Also, I don't like to think about the famous deleted "hippie scene," but his behavior in that scene was pretty conservative.

Good idea for a poll, Kerry. How about a parallel one about Jack? From what I've seen, there may be more controversy regarding his political views.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2008, 02:58:36 pm »

I think he would vote Democratic. I think he was more "liberal" than his public persona let on.  In the privacy of a voting booth, I think that would come out.  I think based on his lack of interest in religion and the "fire and brimstone" crowd, he would be put off by a lot of aspects of at least the current Republican base.  And, I think the idea of war and the military scares him, especially when it comes to risks to Jack.  So, I think he'd be more likely to vote for a slightly more pacifist oriented party.

**note** I'm thinking about the current state of the current parties.  It's hard for me to imagine all the nuances of the differences between Republicans and Democrats in the 60s, 70s and early 80s (since I was born in 75).

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Mikaela

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2008, 03:39:48 pm »
I voted for "did not vote".  (That sounds a bit strange).

Like others have expressed very well already, I can't imagine he'd be much interested in politics and nationwide events - except for rolling his eyes at what he saw on his little TV screen now and then. He'd probably shrug and pronounce them "all the same kind" when national politics were concerned, and not get involved beyond that. Like most fellow Wyoming rural men, I should think his leanings were by and large Republican, - but I think Amanda makes a good case for him being a closeted Democrat, too!

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2008, 03:55:55 pm »
Amanda makes a good case for him being a closeted Democrat, too!

Maybe in the same way that he was gay but couldn't admit it even to himself, he was really a Democrat but couldn't admit it even to himself!  ;D

Offline Mikaela

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2008, 04:15:10 pm »
Well, that would indicate he actually did go into that voting booth ever four f**ing years!  ;)