Author Topic: How Did Ennis Vote?  (Read 11223 times)

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: How Did Ennis Vote?
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2008, 04:20:21 pm »
Well, that would indicate he actually did go into that voting booth ever four f**ing years!  ;)

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2008, 10:01:20 pm »
I also went with "did not vote." I don't think of Ennis as paying much attention to politics.

If he had voted, I'm sure he'd vote Republican, because he's a conformist and most people around him would be Republicans. Also, I don't like to think about the famous deleted "hippie scene," but his behavior in that scene was pretty conservative.

Good idea for a poll, Kerry. How about a parallel one about Jack? From what I've seen, there may be more controversy regarding his political views.

My first draft of the introductory blurb commenced, "Ennis was 19 when he and Jack met in 1963. That would make him 64 now (Jack having died back in the early 1980s). How do you think Ennis voted in the recent U.S. election?"

It initially cross my mind to hypothetically include Jack, but I decided against it because I wanted to keep the poll simple and straightforward.

Perhaps another poll could be started, titled, "If Jack had lived, how would he have voted?"
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2008, 10:07:40 pm »
I also chose the option that Ennis did not vote.

During his years with Jack, '[they] could hunt in November' which leaves me with the sense that he would be focused on his personal issues and not worried overmuch about national politics. (Truman gets credit for this idea.)

As Ennis aged, if he were even still alive in 2008, I cannot envision him as a man with interests extending much beyond his day-to-day existence.  I would guess he'd feel so estranged from his fellow man (those on the 'pavement') that he would not even consider that his point of view would be valid.

:-\

:o Yikes, Lynne, I'm only 5 years behind Ennis in age, and I plan on living at least  another 40 years!!!  :D Granted, I've never smoked!  ;)   :laugh:
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2008, 01:51:26 am »
Perhaps another poll could be started, titled, "If Jack had lived, how would he have voted?"

Well, that's what I meant. A whole 'nother poll.

:o Yikes, Lynne, I'm only 5 years behind Ennis in age, and I plan on living at least  another 40 years!!!  :D Granted, I've never smoked!  ;)   :laugh:

Something about Ennis at the end of the movie/story does not suggest longevity.

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2008, 03:03:33 am »

I think he may have voted.  I think he would have voted Republican though.  Most of the people in Wyoming
are Republicans and voted that way in the election. 
    He wasnt interested in some of the things that the right wing nuts are.  However I see hm as still a very
conservative person.  He believed in the conservative values, as a whole.  JMO

Beautiful mind

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2008, 03:36:28 am »
I really don't think Ennis would have voted. Who knows though? It's hard to tell what may have happened to him between the 1980s and now. Assuming he stayed pretty much the same, then I doubt he would have voted. Ennis made it a point to stay disconnected from the world after Jack died. If he did vote though, he definately would have voted Republican. I think Ennis probably would have been both a social conservative and a Republican. Remember one does not need to be a Republican in order to be conservative. However, with Ennis, I think this probably would have been the case.

Edit: Another thought just occured to me:

If Ennis had decided to move to the city for any reason, I think he probably would have taken a job in one of the Unions. If something like that happened, he would have voted Democratic. But he'd definately STILL be a conservative.
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2008, 10:26:55 am »
I would be interested in understanding the differences between the Republican Party in the 60s and the 2008 version.  I stand by my vote that Ennis probably would not have voted, which I posted earlier.  But based on the 'fire and brimstone crowd' comment, I think he would have little patience with today's version of the Republican Party.
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2008, 11:52:38 am »
Ennis might have had the opportunity to vote for Barry Goldwater. He was 19 in June of '63, but could have turned 20 before November, which would make him 21 (the legal voting age at the time) by November 1964, when Goldwater ran against Johnson.

If so, he'd probably be surprised in recent years to see Goldwater emerge as an outspoken advocate for gay rights!

Offline Artiste

« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2008, 12:02:48 pm »
Ennis would difinately vote, but firstly hear:
What a difference a day makes ! - ?

Offline Artiste

« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2008, 05:21:26 pm »
Could Ennis have voted for BOTH parties?