Author Topic: What are your favorite quotes from reviews?  (Read 7203 times)

mvansand76

What are your favorite quotes from reviews?
« on: July 05, 2006, 10:28:39 am »
You must’ve read some 150 reviews in the past half year, what are your favorite quotes from reviews?

Here are mine:

Rolling Stone:
“That’s the key reason – besides its, its bravery, its dead-on relevance to right now – that this classic in the making ranks high on the list of the year’s best movies: it gets you good.”

The Toronto Star:
“It’s a movie about love that knows no boundaries and loneliness that knows no relief…(…)”

Entertainment weekly
“In an age when the fight over gay marriage still rages, Brokeback mounain, the tale of two men who are scarcely even allowed to imagine being together , asks, through the purity with which it touches us: when it comes to love, what sort of world do we want?”

TotalFilm UK (DVD)
“There is also a fragile, internalized beauty: the kind that comes from somebody you love, somebody you can’t live without, somebody you’d be willing to risk your entire life for… if only they’d risk theirs in return. Which, as Jake Gyllenhaal’s Jack Twist learns to his pain, is something his lover will never do.”

Time 01-30-06
“The movie is heartbreaking because it shows the hearts of two strong men – and their women – in the long process of breaking.”

Newsweek
“No American film before has portrayed love between two men as something this pure and sacred.”

Offline serious crayons

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: What are your favorite quotes from reviews?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2006, 10:55:38 am »
OK, mvansand, you made me go dig out my New Yorker of Dec. 12, 2005, which I've never been able to bring myself to throw away. Here's a line from a review by Anthony Lane, about the scene outside Aguirre's trailer:

"There is something wired and wary in their silence, and the entire passage can be read not only as an echo of "Once Upon a Time in the West," whose opening hummed with a similar suspense, but also as an unimaginable change of tune. Sergio Leone's men were waiting for a train; these boys are falling in love."

For some reason, that line always gives me goosebumps, and I haven't even seen "Once Upon a Time in the West"!

Offline Mikaela

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2006, 11:06:22 am »
You've already included my favourite, the one I can quote without even going back to check the source material, and it's this one:

“The movie is heartbreaking because it shows the hearts of two strong men – and their women – in the long process of breaking.”

:'( :'( :'(

Offline Mikaela

• Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2006, 04:56:01 pm »
You know, this thread made me re-read certain reviews I bookmarked when the film first premiered. And oh, those are still very good reads - well worth re-visiting!! :) Here's a couple of quotes from The Stanford Daily's review on December 8:

On HL's and JG's role performances:

"Their chemistry is thick and natural, leaving the audience with a persistent case of the butterflies."

And specifically on Heath:

"Ledger (  ) succeeds wildly in a role so completely original that he seems to have had nothing to draw on aside from a tremendous amount of heart."

Ain't those review comments nothing but the plain truth?

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2006, 05:28:55 pm »
That Stanford Daily really knows what it's talking about!

mvansand76

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2006, 06:15:32 am »

On HL's and JG's role performances:

"Their chemistry is thick and natural, leaving the audience with a persistent case of the butterflies."

Ain't those review comments nothing but the plain truth?

You bet!  ;)

mvansand76

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2007, 04:16:22 pm »
I am bumping one of my old threads... ;D...but for a reason... does anybody have the wonderful BBM review that was published in Elle magazine?

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2007, 05:17:18 pm »
I really liked the review in the New York Times :

Yet Brokeback Mountain is ultimately not about sex (there is very little of it in the film) but about love: love stumbled into, love thwarted, love held sorrowfully in the heart.

Or, as Ms. Proulx writes, "What Jack remembered and craved in a way he could neither help nor understand was the time that distant summer on Brokeback when Ennis had come up behind him and pulled him close, the silent embrace satisfying some shared and sexless hunger."

One tender moment's reprieve from loneliness can illuminate a life.

'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

mvansand76

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2007, 05:43:35 pm »
I really liked the review in the New York Times :

Yet Brokeback Mountain is ultimately not about sex (there is very little of it in the film) but about love: love stumbled into, love thwarted, love held sorrowfully in the heart.

Or, as Ms. Proulx writes, "What Jack remembered and craved in a way he could neither help nor understand was the time that distant summer on Brokeback when Ennis had come up behind him and pulled him close, the silent embrace satisfying some shared and sexless hunger."

One tender moment's reprieve from loneliness can illuminate a life.

That's so beautiful. I love that they use a quote from the book in the review about the movie.

I still love to read the reviews.... especially the ones where they raved about the movie of course... ;)

Here's a great website with all the reviews listed (I think more than on imdb):

http://www.mrqe.com/lookup?brokeback+mountain

in case this hasn't been posted yet... :D

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2013, 12:10:35 pm »
Bumping for Throwback Thursday. :)

Wow, over time I have read my share of beautiful stated insights in reviews. Some really well thought out and/or touching lines. Now I wish I had shared at least some of them here, because from the top of my head, I can't remember a single one. :-\
Oh, wait, wait, wait. One wasn't that long ago; John Trudell had posted a link to it on FB some 6 or 7 months back and I know I bookmarked it. Maybe I'll find it.

I really like the review quotes shared earlier on this thread. :)