Author Topic: Do You Have Your Christmas/Holiday Shopping Finished Yet?  (Read 18474 times)

Offline brianr

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Do You Have Your Christmas/Holiday Shopping Finished Yet?
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2017, 03:53:38 am »
I bought my Christmas cards last week. Thankfully my family (small as it is) do not give presents so no shopping needed. As I am staying home this Christmas and not flying to Sydney, I will probably have Christmas alone.
My sister's computer crashed last week and she did not have any real backup. She bought a new computer and I paid for and arranged for her to pickup an external hard drive. That is the type of presents we give, as needed.

I am going to a luncheon for a lady I drive to church and use to drive out for a short walk each week until she had a stroke a few months ago. Her family have asked me to the luncheon on Wednesday to celebrate her 90th birthday. I bought a card today but am not sure of a gift. She is diabetic so cannot buy sweets and has lots of plants on her balcony so does not need any more, saw fragrant hand lotion set near the cards in the shop so may go back and buy that before Wednesday.

Offline CellarDweller

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2017, 11:28:06 am »
I bought my Christmas cards last week.

I have mine as well, and I printed off all the labels and messages for the inside.   I don't write in my cards, because my handwriting is so bad, no one would be able to read it.  LOL

So I type out messages, personalize them, and then insert them into the cards.   Then I'll sign them and mail them.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline brianr

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2017, 02:22:27 pm »
My handwriting is bad also but I have never been able to print out labels successfully. I print my yearly Christmas letter, usually 2 pages and this year with 9 photos. I write on the cards and sometimes an extra message on the letter then write the labels. I posted the 2 to the USA and one to UK last Thursday (Christmas mail closed Friday) I finished writing the 14 to Australia yesterday (closes Wednesday). Still have 3 or 4 for NZ to go. There will be about a dozen by email. I prefer real cards but some friends do not do that anymore. Putting cards around the lounge room is the only real decorations I have.

My 90 year old friend was very happy with her lilac skin lotion. I had to smell her wrist when I picked her up for church yesterday  ;D
They sang  happy birthday for her at morning coffee after church.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2017, 07:42:09 pm »
I'm proud to say I'm all finished with my Christmas shopping! (But, you say, it's almost Christmas Eve, so that's not such a feat.) Well, I've finished it up with a day to spare, so I feel a sense of accomplishment. I told everyone to bring ONE present for each adult. If they have more than one, they have to package them all together, or leave them in their cars until things quiet down in my living room. I didn't make the rule apply to the children. I'm not that much of a Scrooge!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Corax

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2017, 04:03:20 am »
I'm finished! I bought the last gift yesterday. I had been really frustrated because I didn't find anything  for my Dad. And I didn't want to give him whiskey or wine like the last two years (though he really likes good whiskey). After panicking the whole week, I suddenly had a great idea: tickets for a dinner and music event.
Now I can start to relax.  ;D

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2017, 10:26:54 pm »
Well, it's all over for my family and I.  :laugh:

We celebrated on Christmas Eve, arriving at my parents'  place at 2:30 and staying until almost 8:00. 

Dinner was delicious, as were the desserts.  Presents were opened, and a good time was had by everyone!

Tomorrow, I intend to sleep in, and then do laundry later on.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2018, 07:30:46 pm »
I haven't even begun yet, but that's because I refuse to do any Christmas related stuff until after Thanksgiving!

I did get my stamps to mail my holiday cards this weekend, so I intend to start doing those at one point this week.....the international ones, anyway.

I have about 4 or 5 catalogs that arrived recently, and I intend to try and get the bulk of my shopping done with them now, so they'll all be shipped, delivered, and wrapped well before Christmas.

;D

Offline brianr

« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2018, 10:56:04 pm »
What is  Christmas shopping?  I have bought my cards so that is it.  I guess I will have to buy some special food (just for myself) the week before.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2018, 09:20:04 pm »
What is  Christmas shopping?  I have bought my cards so that is it.  I guess I will have to buy some special food (just for myself) the week before.

:laugh:

I have gifts to exchange with family.  Now that Trenton is 5, he fully understands that Santa is coming on Christmas Eve, and we're all getting gifts for him.

Offline brianr

« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2018, 11:00:27 pm »
:laugh:

I have gifts to exchange with family.  Now that Trenton is 5, he fully understands that Santa is coming on Christmas Eve, and we're all getting gifts for him.
I will allow for a 5 year old. Many years ago our family agreed no gifts for anyone over 18 and I (74) am the youngest in our family. I use to buy gifts for my godsons, now in their late 30's (the oldest may now be 40) and the boys next door in Australia also now in their 30's. I stopped when they turned 18 and their parents were grateful as they used to feel they should buy me something in return.
Before we made that rule, I would ask my mother what I should buy for my sister and then ask my sister what I should buy for my mother. I had no idea. Now I just buy something whenever there is a need. Like last year my sister had computer problems so I arranged for an external hard drive to be delivered to her. And when I became a New Zealand citizen in 2016 she sent me money to pay for 4 friends to have lunch before the ceremony.