Author Topic: Do You Have Your Christmas/Holiday Shopping Finished Yet?  (Read 18473 times)

Offline CellarDweller

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
Re: Do You Have Your Christmas/Holiday Shopping Finished Yet?
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2018, 12:24:47 am »
I will allow for a 5 year old. Many years ago our family agreed no gifts for anyone over 18 and I (74) am the youngest in our family. I use to buy gifts for my godsons, now in their late 30's (the oldest may now be 40) and the boys next door in Australia also now in their 30's. I stopped when they turned 18 and their parents were grateful as they used to feel they should buy me something in return.
Before we made that rule, I would ask my mother what I should buy for my sister and then ask my sister what I should buy for my mother. I had no idea. Now I just buy something whenever there is a need. Like last year my sister had computer problems so I arranged for an external hard drive to be delivered to her. And when I became a New Zealand citizen in 2016 she sent me money to pay for 4 friends to have lunch before the ceremony.

To be honest, I think my family may be going in that direction.  When the conversation turned to gifts at Thanksgiving, no one really had any ideas what they would want.

The only ones I know for certain are my niece Shana and her boyfriend, Derek.  They both like to fish, but have no equipment, so we're going to get some fishing equipment.  They also don't have any tools, so we're getting Derek a tool set.

When it comes to my parents, I get them some small, token gifts to unwrap, but they've asked for the past few years for us (my brothers and I) to give them any money we would've spent on them for other occasions (Mother's Day, Father's Day, birthdays, anniversaries) and just give it to them in one lump sum at Christmas.  They then hold onto the cash, and spend it on a trip in the summer.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2018, 10:42:45 pm »
I think I've just about finished my Christmas shopping. 

Mom - "Scaredy Cut - Silent clippers"  She wants them to groom the cat, and cash.
Dad - cash
(mom and dad are opting for mostly cash from us, now that a move may happen in the next few years.  They want to purge, not get new stuff.)
Chris - Strange books.  Chris has a weird sense of humor.
Mike - Raiders blanket, hat, and commemorative coin
Michelle - Eagles blanket, hat and commemorative coin
Shana & Derek - tool set and fishing equipment
Trent - two boxes of crayons and a variety of train, emergency vehicles, and police officers coloring books
Maria - coworker - Card games.  She and her husband get together with friends every weekend to play canasta.  I got her a box of different games.  Uno, Phase 10, Snappy Dressers, and Drunk, Stoned or Stupid.
Sacha - supervisor - She's a mother of 4 year-old twins, but I didn't want to get her twin stuff.  She's always talking about how much she needs to do, so I'm going to get her daily planner and calendar and things like that.

The only mystery is Michelle's brother, Eric.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2018, 11:08:19 pm »
Some good ideas here! The main problem person in my family is my son-in-law. I usually get him a big bottle of whiskey, but I can't keep doing that forever!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2018, 12:28:40 am »
Finished? Barely started.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2018, 11:29:29 am »
Some good ideas here! The main problem person in my family is my son-in-law. I usually get him a big bottle of whiskey, but I can't keep doing that forever!

Does he have any hobbies or likes?  You can always look for books based on that hobby.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2018, 03:45:55 pm »

Instead of one big bottle, look around for some "gift pack" that might have small bottles of different "ages" (12 years, 16 years, etc.) of a particular brand of whiskey. Someone did that for me once.

Or get him a photo book about trains. All guys like trains.  ;D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2018, 04:56:25 pm »
:laugh:

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2020, 10:25:20 pm »
My Christmas shopping is done, because we're doing abbreviated shopping due to CV-19.  We want to keep family out of the stores at this time of year, so we're only giving a few gifts.

I got Trenton a demolition set.  It's a building that you erect out of "cards".....meaning flat materials that look like the thick coasters you see at bars.  You the swing the crane with the wrecking ball on it, and knock it down.

Shana and Derek got cash, as that's what they need.  I also gave them something to unwrap.  Derek got two books about fishing (the three of them love to fish) and Shana enjoys coloring, so I got her two Bob's Burgers coloring books.

Mom and Dad are at the stage where they want to purge, so they want no gifts.  Chris and I decided we would give them stuff that they will use.  We got them some flatware for daily use (mom has good flatware for holidays, but her day to day stuff is all mismatched and looking worn) and we got them a bunch of kitchen utensils they need, and then they can throw out all the old, damaged, stained or melted stuff they have been using.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #28 on: December 24, 2022, 10:17:18 pm »
Well, it's Christmas Eve, I hope everyone got their shopping done!

;D

Mine was done about a week ago, and wrapped as of last night.