Author Topic: Italian TV (RAI) shows 'Brokeback Mountain' without gay scenes  (Read 12518 times)

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Italian TV (RAI) shows 'Brokeback Mountain' without gay scenes
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2008, 10:33:40 am »
It isn't just  the voice that's different , the translation differs, some expressions wouldn't make sense in Italian.
From the other evening I remember Stemming the rose becaming picking daisies.

Edit: in the short story in Italian stemming the rose becomes ...while the two of you were having a good time.

I'm so here with you Sel. The Germans made a moose out of the elk, in the story Jack said he missed Ennis so much he could molest a baby and so on. I think stemming the rose also became having a good time.

And for Paul: Jack Nasty was Jack, the pig in German. Given the usage of pig as a curseword in German, it actually fits pretty well.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2008, 11:01:23 am »
Wow, is that because some radical muslims do not want gay men kissing?

It  seems to me that Iltaly is known for love !

And now it will become anti-love ?

Shame !

Offline Mikaela

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2008, 11:10:26 am »
I've never seen the Norwegian subtitles to the DVD but I have read the translation of the short story.

Jack Nasty has become "Jack ekling"  - ekling means "loathsome guy", so I guess that fits.

But "stemming the rose" has become uhm... I don't even know if I want to repeat it, a very derogatory slang word for having anal sex. So Aguirre is not allowed any poetic descriptive powers in the translation.

And by the way, "Putting the blocks to" is translated with the ugliest version word for "fucking".

There are more examples like that. Clearly the translator figured uneducated country folks should be heard using as direct and dirty language as possible - much of the ambiguities and the unexpected poetry have been lost.  :-\

BTW, Norway's biggest paper, VG, had an article on RAIs censoring of BBM and the subsequent Italian fallout and criticism today. But in truth, I think VG's giving this matter attention had less to do with wanting to preserve the integrity of an outstanding film, and much more to do with the fact that it offered the paper the opportunity to use the titillating word combination "gay sex" in the headline. ::)

Offline Artiste

« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2008, 11:15:12 am »
So the     Norwegian        version is much more anti-gay ?

Offline sel

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Love is a force of nature
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2008, 11:26:05 am »
IMHO translators can make a lot of difference to a book.

I am very glad the RAI – BbM issue has been reported on many foreign newspapers. Hopefully RAI will have learnt from this.

Mille grazie, Sel.

"Jack lo sporcaccione ti ama!"

Bravo! Perfect Italian.
BbM, I swear

Offline luigival

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2008, 05:24:56 pm »
Absolutely agree Sel!

At the very end the huge "mistake", or whatever it was, made by RAI will be good for BBM, because now the movie and the story are again spoken a lot about, with chances to attract more people to watch/read them, reinforcing their appeal and probably convincing even more people of the beauty of this unique masterpiece.

I missed - fortunately I must say - the RAI broadcast last monday. Would have been furious to see a "mutilated" version of BBM. Let's see if they will be brave enough and coherent with what they said and air it again.

Luigi

They were two friends of mine

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2008, 05:49:30 pm »
Please keep us informed, tutti Broki italiani!

Offline Artiste

« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2008, 07:37:35 pm »
Is italy starting to be taken over my Islam, such as muslims radicals and so fears love in films now as in the Brokeback Mountain movie or any other love story even between heterosexual man and woman !?

Offline optom3

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2008, 08:07:23 pm »
It is all very reminiscent of the Bravo fiasco, which drove me nuts. They cut so much, the 20 year enduring affair was simply not credible to the uninitiated viewer.

They changed the script as well, which was hardly a translation error.They just did not have the courage to show the real version. As with this instance an absoloute deluge of complaints followed  and Bravo apologised, saying they hd show the wrong version.

Where did this alleged 2nd version originate. Is it sanctioned by Lee et al. It all seems very odd.Same cuts and same excuse. !!!!

Offline Artiste

« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2008, 11:27:23 pm »
Merco optom!

Your posy says something!
So, optom, then:
Maybe, then there is a conspiracy ?

Even to show that gay men are not like humans, not worthy of human love ?

Many persons do think that gay men are like animals... not called humans! ?

Being a gay man, I have seen that !

Even on Bettermost, I have been told not use the word homosexual nor gay... by some, unfortunately!

So, (some of) those showing the Brokeback Mountain movie would do the same as it was on BRAVO and now in Italy: omit on purpose reference to gay love ?

Au revoir,
hugs!