Author Topic: OMG, I've been logged in 100 days!!! How about you?  (Read 132237 times)

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: OMG, I've been logged in 100 days!!! How about you?
« Reply #90 on: April 17, 2009, 01:44:07 pm »

Um, we learned that from the BBM short story. 

Hunh.  I forgot that's included in the short story.  It's been a long, long time since I've sat down and read the short story from beginning to end.  Where is it mentioned? 

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #91 on: April 17, 2009, 01:52:13 pm »
Hunh.  I forgot that's included in the short story.  It's been a long, long time since I've sat down and read the short story from beginning to end.  Where is it mentioned? 

Around that time Jack began to appear in his dreams, Jack as he had first seen him,
curly-headed and smiling and bucktoothed, talking about getting up off his pockets
and into the control zone, but the can of beans with the spoon handle jutting out and
balanced on the log was there as well, in a cartoon shape and lurid colors that gave
the dreams a flavor of comic obscenity. The spoon handle was the kind that could be
used as a tire iron. And he would wake sometimes in grief, sometimes with the old
sense of joy and release; the pillow sometimes wet, sometimes the sheets.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #92 on: April 17, 2009, 01:58:46 pm »

Thanks Jeff.  I'd completely forgotten about that phrase in the passage you quoted.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #93 on: April 17, 2009, 02:51:32 pm »
Thanks Jeff.  I'd completely forgotten about that phrase in the passage you quoted.

You're welcome. I'm glad I still had that electronic copy on my office PC.  8)

But it is nice to know where AP got the phrase. I didn't know that. I always had this image in my head of Jack picking himself up off the ground in the ring after he didn't make his eight seconds. ...
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #94 on: April 17, 2009, 03:14:04 pm »
You're welcome. I'm glad I still had that electronic copy on my office PC.  8)

But it is nice to know where AP got the phrase. I didn't know that. I always had this image in my head of Jack picking himself up off the ground in the ring after he didn't make his eight seconds. ...

Thanks for the reminder Jeff.  This really is making me realize that I need to re-read the story again.  I'm thinking, though, that in them early days when I read the story frequently, I may not have even registered that "getting up off his pockets" was a reference to bull riding.  I think it can be a more general phrase too, about getting up and getting moving.

Mostly when I've heard announcers use the phrase it essentially means "get up off your Wrangler pockets"... usually in reference to posture on the bull when you leave the chute.  It's best to be sitting up straight or leaning slightly forward.  If you're slouching or  leaning back at the very beginning, it can be very easy for the bull to whip you forward and off pretty quickly as he bolts out of the chute.  Sometimes during a ride you pretty much need to lean back to make a countermove, so it can mean something different during the course of a ride vs. at the beginning.  Bending at the waist and leaning slightly forward in many cases is basic, good form  and would demonstrate control (maybe this is the "control zone" idea from BBM)... This would be the case especially if the bull is mostly spinning rather than kicking.  In the picture on my avatar Brian needs to be leaning back... since the bull is in such a steep pitch kicking.  In this case if he bent at the waist and leaned forward, he'd be "dashboarded".  The fact that he's able to keep his back up as much as it is (not essentially laying down on the bull's back) at this angle takes a lot of core strength.  So they say.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #95 on: April 17, 2009, 03:22:53 pm »

Anyway, getting back on topic... my time logged at the moment is:

Total time logged in: 111 days, 16 hours and 46 minutes.

I'm still shocked by this!  :o

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #96 on: April 17, 2009, 03:35:24 pm »
180 days, 11 hours and 47 minutes

And that is after 11 days of not being on the internet. :P

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #97 on: April 17, 2009, 03:45:11 pm »
180 days, 11 hours and 47 minutes

And that is after 11 days of not being on the internet. :P

David! 180 days sure is impressive! :)

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #98 on: April 17, 2009, 05:01:24 pm »
That must explain "and into the control zone," too.

And this all makes sense, because the pockets on jeans aren't exactly what you're on if you're just sitting down in the normal way. It's more a slouched back position.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #99 on: April 17, 2009, 10:18:18 pm »
That's why I'm surprised I'm behind some folks. I'm at my computer all day, I don't have a boss watching over me, and I feel like I'm on here constantly, to the point that when people see a post of mine they go, "Not HER again!  ::)"

Katherine, maybe you could make that your new signature line.  ;D  ;)