Author Topic: BBM is 3 Years Old This Month. How Are You Doing, Friends?  (Read 18691 times)

Offline CellarDweller

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
Re: BBM is 3 Years Old This Month. How Are You Doing, Friends?
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2008, 08:55:43 pm »
Today is my Third BBM Anniversary.

Happy anniversary, big brother!  ;D

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2008, 09:20:11 pm »

My third anniversary wont be here until Jan. 5th.  I went with my precious Kelsey.  I
waited until then because we had agreed to go together.  I suppose that my life will never
be the same.  I was so connected to this film, and its characters I could not even recover.  I
felt like I was Ennis, I cried so much my family wanted to have an intervention.  They thought
I was losing my mind.  I had always been the strong and stable person in my family. But I just could not stop crying.  Day and night.  I returned to watch the movie seven times in theatre.
It didnt help me, if anything it just got worse and worse.  I was a mess.  I grieved so much that
I thought I became Ennis.. I dont know yet though if it was for Jack I grieved, or it was Ennis.?
       I know that I started to go to youtube and get every piece of video on there.  The trailers
the interviews, etc.  I was like a crack addict looking for a fix.  I could never get enough of it.
I memorized the script as I continued to go.  Hunted down the soundtrack, it was a two day
search to find one.  For after all, we were ahead of the curve, in our addiction.   Later on the
cd was easy to find.  They just had no idea that it was going to become the cultural phenom,
that it became. 
       I found my way somehow to wranglers, and brokeback slash, and started reading Madlori's
fanfiction Human Interest.  I felt like I was a drowning victim that had been thrown a life
preserver.  From there I found Louise's story too, and she told me about Bettermost. There I
met people with the same " itis" that I had.  I felt like I had really found a home.  This is a
place, and people that had the same ideas that I had.  I have met so many wonderful Brokies,
and gone to so many places, to find friends and fellow Brokies.  It has been quite a ride.  I will
never be the same person, that I was before I watched that film.  Still in my opinion the best
movie I have ever seen....
« Last Edit: December 17, 2008, 08:11:43 pm by ifyoucantfixit »

Beautiful mind

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2008, 09:48:26 pm »
Jack and Ennis are never very far from my thoughts:  I wake up to them every day (beautifully framed posters in my room), Kerry's Heath portrait postcard at the bedside; I wear a gold and a silver cowboy hat around my neck to represent their individuality.  The Brokeback calendar greets me every morning on the fridge.  I drive the BBM-mobile to work. 

BetterMost is always on my computer.  I have 1963 license plates from Wyoming, Texas, even Alberta, and now Massachusetts--my birth year-- (interestingly, all black and white) on the wall.

BBM has become the constant background of my life.  Although life goes on, and changes continuously, Brokeback is there for me. 

I have lovely friends, a fabulous co-mod, loyal ABC players, a new little Brother (!) and people far-flung that mean the world to me.

Thank you for all this. 

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2008, 10:56:41 pm »

My Brokeback journey began in October 1997. It was then that I read the story published in The New Yorker. I was devastated by it and hooked, and smitten with the two lovestruck cowboys Ennis and Jack. It was the first issue of The New Yorker that I kept long-term, in a drawer by my bed. That and two other issues are the only ones I’ve kept. The one with the shadow of the Twin Towers on it and the one with the poet Sylvia Plath.

Shortly after that, I went into the hospital for several days to have a fibroid tumor removed and while I was recovering I read the novel Postcards by Annie Proulx. That was also similarly moving, and helped me understand my parents, both children of the Depression, better.

But I remained mired in my own depression for eight more years. Every day, I trudged to work, and then came home, read a little, drank a lot, went to bed, and then arose to repeat the same thing over again the next day. Every year things would get a little more depressing. When I thought things could not get much worse, the 2000 election came along, and my husband informed me that he was a (had been all along?) Republican. I cried all weekend.

You would think I would be happy to hear that a movie was being made of the story I had secretly read over and over. But no, I was not. In fact, I was pissed. I thought they would make a mess of it, and how could a movie be made of a short story anyway? Who was this Ang Lee character? I had seen several of his movies, but since they were so very different, I didn’t connect them together. Then, when I found out that the teen heartthrobs Heath Ledger and Jake Gyllenhaal would star, I said, that’s it, I will never go to this movie!

The Denver International Film Festival, where Ang Lee and Annie Proulx made an appearance, came and went to glowing praise, and my resolve started to crumble. Then, my daughter read an article in the newspaper about how Brokeback Mountain had crossed over into the mainstream, and was making a major impact changing people’s minds about homosexuality. She was interested in seeing the film and knew I had read the story. So, as a Christmas present, she dragged me to the theater in Boulder, Colorado, where it was showing.

I left the theater in a daze. The movie was such a different vision from the story. It was actually more hopeful and life affirming. The landscapes were so stunning and the love story so tangible and visceral, that it woke me from a 12-year slumber!! I realized that it was time for me to seize life and live it because life is precious and to be cherished. I realized that my life is valuable and that I am not meant to be a drone or a robot. As I was going out of the theater, I looked around me at the other people, and saw them through new eyes, as human beings with actual feelings and thoughts, and something to contribute to human kind. It was an amazing awakening. My daughter actually had to take my arm and help me navigate through the crowd!

Several viewings later, I made my way to IMDB and then to BetterMost. That summer, I met serious crayons and LauraGigs and couldn’t get enuff of Brokiedom. I was suffering from Empty Nest Syndrome because my daughter had gone off to college leaving me with two sports-crazed men (my husband and son) so I was lonely and in need of a new mission. The next October came around with the exciting opportunity to actually see Annie Proulx speak at the Casper Literary Festival in Wyoming. I was so excited also to be going to Wyoming. I hadn’t been there since I was a child, even though I only live one hour away from it!! I met and picked up ptannen at the airport and we sped up to Casper (with a short detour on my part when I had to return to work for a couple of days). There I met not only Annie Proulx but also horsewrangler, EDelMar, brokebackjack and Katrina, and several other Brokies. It was a fitting start for an odyssey that I hope will never end!!

Later, on New Year’s Eve, serious, EDelMar, and I were in a coffee shop chatting about the movie, and EDelMar turned to me and said, “Instead of just talking about the story, why don’t you live it?” That became my New Year’s Resolution! So very shortly after the New Year, I found myself actually climbing Brokenback Mountain in Wyoming! On snowmobile, because it was early January! I also visited Lightning Flat and Ten Sleep on that trip. Then, in February, I surprised myself again…I traveled to Bay City, Michigan! In the dead of winter! After that momentous trip (the best Oscar Night I have ever known!) I traveled overland back to Denver, visiting Lightning Flat and the “Twist house” yet again.

In May of that year, I had the honor to host (along with six other Brokies) about 85 people attending the second Brokeback BBQ, held in Estes Park, Colorado. I went to Alberta to see the filming sites and to San Francisco for the Castro showing.

While the social events were wonderful and energizing, another transformation was happening. I threw off my depression, my health problems, and my ennui. I threw away the high blood pressure pills I was taking; I did not need them anymore. I even began to enjoy outdoor pursuits such as camping, hiking, and mountain climbing. My soul and my body are rejeuvenated, and I feel much more hope for the future. I am a Brokie; always will be. There ain’t no reins on this one!!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline KristinDaBomb

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
    • My Blog
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2008, 02:06:03 am »
Thank you Meryl. :]
xoxo

~Kristin~

<3

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2008, 01:35:06 pm »
How am I doing after three years?

Well all and all. I had been thinking of late about some sort of statement at this point on the journey, and summation perhaps and acknowledgement of how the story has left me. Left me a changed person and left me to my own devices.

That thing, that grabbed a hold of me, wow. I have experienced periods of infatuation and involvement with various ideas and project but this, this was something different. This was a watershed for me. I feel fortunate it happened when it did and the technology was available for me to connect with so many who understood.

Coming when it did in my journey it also took on the form of midlife crisis. It gave it meaning and purpose. My little red Miata was instead a trip to Alberta. My trophy wife was instead the smiling faces of friends all over the world.

Brokeback Mountain allowed me, nay, forced me to grieve. Deeply and spiritually not only for my experiences but for the whole of my tribe as it were. For our collective story, galvanizing and liberating.

It brings me joy to be a part of this tribe, this group standing now and demanding justice for itself. I worry that sometimes our heads will listen too closely to our hardened hearts. That we may fall prey to the hatred that did in Jack Twist. It is so easy for us to wrap ourselves in vilification and lash out at the LDS and people whose identify with groups that traditionally have vilified us. Maybe we can break that cycle. I hope so. I find being angry at people tiresome.

I find these days I have fewer and fewer things to contribute to Bettermost. My grief over the two characters I fell in love with has healed over. I find myself not even wanting to watch the movie again. It is like reviewing the details of the death of a loved one long ago that nothing can be done about. Back to the business of standing it, which often is not that hard a thing to do. I wake up, I get out of bed and remember I am the lucky one. I can breath, I can stand, I can decide how my day is going to go. I am thankful for that.

But I thank Ennis and Jack for coming into my life when they did and making me feel tore up and sad and comfortable. Comfortable like the feeling you have after a splinter has been pulled out. Like how you feel when you scratch your back and you didn’t realize it has been itching. I thank Annie Proulx for all her characters, all her stories that each carries a bit of that feeling, a lost and lonely embrace in arms lined with deep purple velvet.
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2008, 05:29:33 pm »
it doesntmatter than you dont necerrily want to watch the movie. I'm just glad that you have become and will remain my friend and a friend to many other people here.

For me Brokeback has been more about relationships than the movie. once twice, thrice over.

http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2008, 09:36:23 pm »
I like the  word thrice and will resolve to use it more often.  :-X
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2008, 09:40:59 pm »

((((((((Janice, Paul, Lee and Truman))))))

Thanks so much for sharing your great stories.  It's deja-vu all over again, isn't it?  :-*
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2008, 11:22:09 pm »
I'm not sure, over the past 3 years

I have retired

and have collected some Brokie memorabilia

started a new garden in the back yard

visited my relatives in South America

went to 4 cities in the US that I had never visited

finished the screenplay that I had worked on for 10 years

bought a new piano

and generally kept to my diet plan and haven't gained any weight

and Ennis and Jack are still fresh on my mind. funny how they don't grow old. maybe we need a sequel to move on?