Author Topic: "Jack, I swear..." What do you think Ennis meant by that?  (Read 415663 times)

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • I swear.............
Re: "Jack, I swear..." What do you think Ennis meant by that?
« Reply #270 on: September 21, 2007, 02:11:26 pm »
So, who else here has noticed that the audio of the line "I swear" is different on the DVD than it is/was on the film in theatres?

The version on the DVD sounds weak and feeble, and there were a lot of complaints on IMDB when the DVD came out of folks asking "what was the last line?"  On the film versions, it's pronounced more clearly, with more sincerity and drive behind it. 

Now, you know I saw it 45 times in the theatre before the DVD came out.  When I watched the DVD at home, and the line was said in that different audio take, I almost fell out of my chair!  Why the two different audio takes has always been beyond me?  But I'll prefer watching the FILM in theatres over the DVD anytime, especially for this reason alone.
Well Eric,
I never would  have known the difference had it not been for you!
Thank you for giving me the opportunity to view it on the big screen!
That was a priceless gift!
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BBM Radio Program Director
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #271 on: September 21, 2007, 02:14:34 pm »
Well Eric,
I never would  have known the difference had it not been for you!
Thank you for giving me the opportunity to view it on the big screen!
That was a priceless gift!

Thanks Richard.  You are welcome.  It was my pleasure.  :)

Offline serious crayons

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #272 on: September 21, 2007, 02:38:19 pm »
So, who else here has noticed that the audio of the line "I swear" is different on the DVD than it is/was on the film in theatres?

I haven't noticed that myself, but I know someone who has two versions -- a DVD and a downloaded computer one -- and has always said that line is different in the two.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #273 on: September 21, 2007, 08:20:26 pm »
I know I've heard people say that they think he says "I'll swear..." instead of "I swear..."

And, honestly I can see how that mistake could be made if you were a first time viewer and/or hadn't read the story.
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Rayn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • I'm also on FaceBook under Rayn Roberts
« Reply #274 on: September 22, 2007, 01:08:04 am »

The version on the DVD sounds weak and feeble, and there were a lot of complaints on IMDB when the DVD came out of folks asking "what was the last line?"  On the film versions, it's pronounced more clearly, with more sincerity and drive behind it. 

Now, you know I saw it 45 times in the theatre before the DVD came out.  When I watched the DVD at home, and the line was said in that different audio take, I almost fell out of my chair!  Why the two different audio takes has always been beyond me?  But I'll prefer watching the FILM in theatres over the DVD anytime, especially for this reason alone.

Eric, I have a copy that was sent to reviewers and members of the Academy...  and on it, at least, there's no difference.  I didn't note any.  Maybe my DVD is better qualilty than what's being sold in the USA?

Rayn

Offline KristinDaBomb

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
    • My Blog
« Reply #275 on: September 24, 2007, 12:06:42 am »
I agree 100% with that!   Anyway, this thread has run so long because there are so many ways to take and hear that line.  I love hearing every different insight and idea about it and welcome you too KrisDaBomb!  Nice to have ya.

Thanks so much for the welcome and replying/agreeing with my post, that's so nice of you. =]
xoxo

~Kristin~

<3

Offline Artiste

« Reply #276 on: October 03, 2007, 09:12:21 pm »
Hi all from Quebec City!!

Even when I am in the art where currently here where I am exhibiting my paintings I created this year, I think of Jack i swear... so many gays pass here in front and some enter it too!!

And that too in the gay bath where many USA gay men come to enjoy life and the city, and of course... some of moi!!

Come...

hugs!!

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • I swear.............
« Reply #277 on: October 03, 2007, 09:16:53 pm »
Hi all from Quebec City!!

Even when I am in the art where currently here where I am exhibiting my paintings I created this year, I think of Jack i swear... so many gays pass here in front and some enter it too!!

And that too in the gay bath where many USA gay men come to enjoy life and the city, and of course... some of moi!!

Come...

hugs!!

LOL! :laugh:
Artsie, so good to hear from you and you seem to be doing well!
I'm very glad to see you posting!
Take care and don't be a Stranger
Richard AKA Lee
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

Offline Artiste

« Reply #278 on: October 03, 2007, 09:20:35 pm »
Merci, yes thanks!!

You must not be a stranger too and come see my exhibition here in Quebec City, such a wow happy city for gays!!

Hugs!!

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • I swear.............
« Reply #279 on: October 03, 2007, 09:22:39 pm »
Merci, yes thanks!!

You must not be a stranger too and come see my exhibition here in Quebec City, such a wow happy city for gays!!

Hugs!!
I would love to someday!
I'm still in recovery from my trip to San Fransisco though!  :laugh: