Author Topic: ADDICTED TO CHRISTMAS ORNAMENTS?  (Read 84472 times)

Offline brokebackjack

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
ADDICTED TO CHRISTMAS ORNAMENTS?
« on: December 19, 2008, 08:32:48 am »
FINALLY FINALLY FINALLY....

A thread  for all Bettermostians who act irrationaly during The Joyous Season!

Did you ever show up at Saks Fifth Avenue at 8:30 AM on December 26 and head for the 8th floor as soon as the door opens?

Have you ever bought an ornament in July? Have you spent weeks scouring ebay for  Baccarat's 2001 Reindeer Ornament --and FOUND THEM--at a dirt cheap price ?    Skipped work to descend upon Lord & Taylor's Christmas Department?    Made minute comparisons between  handblown icicles by artists in Maine and Normandy, become so enthralled you bought them all? 

Have you spent hours tying ribbons to each and every ornament?  Have you coordinated the width and texture of that ribbon to your ornament? Debated the merits of baroque vs. medieval angels?

Do you have so many Christmas ornaments you need half a dozen trees?

Do you secretly acknowledge you've lost it, as you tie that ornamental  frosted ball you've had since Willi Brandt  was Chancellor of West Germany to your tree????

THIS THREAD IS FOR you MY FRIEND, YES, you, THE CRAZY BROKIE WITH THE HOLLY WREATH![/i]

We can trade information,  show photographs, tell each other where to find this or that long sought  ornament...we can have a lot of fun! Pass the eggnog and glog, buds....where'd you find that angel??
"I couldn't stand it no more so i fixed it"

Offline brokebackjack

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
Re: ADDICTED TO CHRISTMAS ORNAMENTS?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2008, 09:02:12 am »
Think I'll start out with a post about this place I found. Their glass is WAAAAY cool, absolutely outstanding in every way.Here is the website:

http://www.prochaskagalleries.com/

This is a great place for handblown glass. We've bought from this studio, which was chosen to create ornaments symbolising 'California and Christmas' fot the White House Tree when Reagan was President. I may not have cared for Reagan but his glass-blower was  OUTSTANDING!!!!The glass is made in the traditional way but the formula used  produces a lighter glass. There is absolutely NO difference in the feel, the look, etc.; it is just doesn't WEIGH as much as traditional glass. I think their creations are world class, while their their prices are very reasonable.

I ran across them on ebay when doing a search. They have a shop, and also a non-ebay website.

These are also pretty decent people:
I won two ebay auctions they had-- for their candy canes and an angel... while losing one for icicles. They sent the icicles by mistake instead of the candycanes, caught their mistake, sent me an email stating what had happened and sent the canes the next day.   They told me to enjoy the icicles; I felt awkward and   [via paypal] sent them the icicle's starting bid plus a few dollars more. I'd looked, and since the winning price was  usually close to the posted start, it seeme fair.

THEY SENT THE MONEY BACK, along with a lovely note thanking me but saying it wasn't necessary--they had made a mistake and there was no need....

That's pretty good policy; I'll happily buy from them again. The angel I bought was exquisite, the icicles were PERFECT and the candy canes  have been universally called adorable lol.

They are so nice my SON whistled when he saw them!  To impress a 22 year old lad says a lot....

This is the company's ebay store:

http://stores.ebay.com/Proglassartyst-Hand-Blown-Glass_Christmas-Tree-Ornament_W0QQcolZ4QQdirZ1QQfsubZ4QQftidZ2QQtZkm

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • well, I won't
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2008, 09:48:11 am »
Hey Jack.  I share the sickness!  Thanks for starting this thread.

My name is Paul and I'm an ornament-aholic.

My tree is all silver, gold and crystal.  Period.  No colors.  It's taken me years to collect all this stuff, of course.

I'm partial to Swarovski, Baccarat and Lalique, when I got the entry fee in my pocket.  Also, lots of various handmade, blown clear glass ones.  Plus, I have lots of icicles of different sizes and styles. 

Many years I've used different chandelier prisms:  they're way cool, but a bit heavy.  A Swarovski tree-topper seals the deal. 

I used to find great bargains at our old Filene's Basement, but, alas, it's closed. 

After twenty years of real trees, my downsizing to a shipshape city apartment required buying a tall and skinny artificial Frasier fir this year (on sale, grandinroad catalog).  All white lights.  Nice tree, very sturdy.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2008, 10:50:01 am »
After twenty years of real trees, my downsizing to a shipshape city apartment required buying a tall and skinny artificial Frasier fir this year (on sale, grandinroad catalog).  All white lights.  Nice tree, very sturdy.

What? A catalog I've never heard of?  :o
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline brokebackjack

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2008, 10:57:04 am »
hey Paul that sounds cool. How do you manage to restrict yourself to gold and silver??? That requires DISCIPLINE lol. Our tree is a mix, old and new, hers and mine---and unfortunately mostly mine now; we had work done on the house and someone stole Katrina's ornaments. All she has left are things which were saved in 2 'santa 'boxes i had, and a gold filigree set/collection she bought from Franklin Mint. But all the things made by her grandmother and great grandmother were ripped off.

I like how you described your tree. It must be awesome. A gold/silver combo would be dazzling and all the crystal would just enhance it. I like Baccarat, for some reason it glitters more when light goes through it. And the French, in general, make these amazing pieces! You ever see Bernardaud's Christmas ornaments? They don't make them any more, which is surprising cause they were popular. All white porcelain, sometimes with painted scenes. I buy them wherever I find them, unless they get too pricey! Doesn't even matter if we have it already, THOSE I just buy lol.

I had no idea Filene's even sold ornaments. You must have gotten  a lot there before they stopped.AQ fake tree takes getting used to but I actually prefer it. No haste is needed in taking it down, and in Denver they're kept up through January. You will get to prefer it.

By the way, Your Swarovski sounds cool. I only got into them  2 years ago.

How'd you get into this addiction anyway Paul?

It stays with a person  ::) :laugh:

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2008, 12:53:40 pm »
What? A catalog I've never heard of?  :o

"Affordable style for your home":  www.grandinroad.com

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2008, 01:13:20 pm »
hey Paul that sounds cool. How do you manage to restrict yourself to gold and silver??? That requires DISCIPLINE lol. Our tree is a mix, old and new, hers and mine---and unfortunately mostly mine now; we had work done on the house and someone stole Katrina's ornaments. All she has left are things which were saved in 2 'santa 'boxes i had, and a gold filigree set/collection she bought from Franklin Mint. But all the things made by her grandmother and great grandmother were ripped off.

I like how you described your tree. It must be awesome. A gold/silver combo would be dazzling and all the crystal would just enhance it. I like Baccarat, for some reason it glitters more when light goes through it. And the French, in general, make these amazing pieces! You ever see Bernardaud's Christmas ornaments? They don't make them any more, which is surprising cause they were popular. All white porcelain, sometimes with painted scenes. I buy them wherever I find them, unless they get too pricey! Doesn't even matter if we have it already, THOSE I just buy lol.

I had no idea Filene's even sold ornaments. You must have gotten  a lot there before they stopped.AQ fake tree takes getting used to but I actually prefer it. No haste is needed in taking it down, and in Denver they're kept up through January. You will get to prefer it.

By the way, Your Swarovski sounds cool. I only got into them  2 years ago.

How'd you get into this addiction anyway Paul?

It stays with a person  ::) :laugh:

It sure does require discipline! 

It all started when I first moved into the city more than twenty years ago.  I moved into the south end of Boston (hence my screen name), one of the largest Victorian neighborhoods in the country; blocks and blocks of 19th century brownstones.  I spied a huge tree in a bay window in my neighborhood:  it was silver, gold, crystal and white.  That was the inspiration.

Of course, I had had colored ornaments, many antique cobalt ones, little musical instruments and such.  It took several years of collecting to have enough of the new theme to decorate a tree. 

I add to it every year.  There is a store in Boston called Shreve, Crump and Low that used to sell marvelous sterling ornaments, and I'd treat myself to one each year.  Around 2000, I started getting the annual Swarovski star ornament, plus some of their little ones.  FYI, there is a Baccarat outlet store in Vermont--very dangerous. 

I go to the good handcraft stores to look for clear glass ornaments--some of these I like better than the fancy brand name ones. 

Antique chandelier prisms can be had for $1 apiece (and up, way up), and add a lot of sparkle.

I love Bernardaud, but have never seen their ornaments.  Oh, I was horrified to hear your story about the ornament thief.  What bastard would steal such personal family things? 

Good thought that a fake tree can stay up longer.  No more dried out stiff tree to stuff out the door! 

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2008, 01:21:38 pm »

Thanks, Paul!  :D

Of course, I really need another web site to shop from. ...  :laugh:
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2008, 01:27:04 pm »
Good thought that a fake a man-made tree can stay up longer.  No more dried out stiff tree to stuff out the door! 

Of course, a man-made tree has to be stored somewhere until next Christmas--unless one can afford to be extravagant and toss the man-made tree and buy new every year.  :-\

Sorry--couldn't resist the edit.  ;D  I love faux-Victorian ornaments myself.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2008, 05:53:37 pm »
Interesting thread!

I used to collect a lot of Christmas ornaments, antique ones!

Why is that feather tree so expensive?

Offline brokebackjack

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2008, 08:23:05 am »
You guys are into some very interesting things!

Tell me, what are the oldest ones you have? I have a very faded red icicle made of something fuzzy, and a Santa Claus made of the same material with a small carved wooden face the size of a quarter. Again,both are small and 'flattish'. I've heard of a material called chenille, but don't have a clue---is that possibly what they are? They have wire bases. I believe they're from the first decade of the 20th century and used to belong to a family friend named Clara. Matter of fact, she and my mother were the two people I saw BBM with for the very first time...couldn't have been with two better people for my virgin viewing !

Clara is in her 80's and has a mind sharp as a tack. She actually remembered and said they were put away for good and were 'too old' when she was a girl in Grammar School-----which means they hadn't been used in about 70 years from when I found them in her basement, and this is the first year I'VE used them. She said I could have them. And she also gave me some very old glass ornaments...the usual 'bells' from the 30's through the early 50's plus a green glass 'top', 2 pinecones, & a few others from the 20's into the 30's.

It's odd, with all the hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of ornaments in my mother's collection, we have very few old ornaments in my family; most date from the 70's on up. So these were a nice addition to, uh, MINE lol... Katrina had a LOT but as said, most were stolen when we had all the reconstruction done.

I think you guys have done more 'theme' work then me, by far. I just like good ornaments>>>which means there isn't any real 'theme'. I put all the Santa Claus ornaments which were suitable on the fireplace mantle [well, it's a themelol], along with all the Baccarat angels I bought my wife last year on ebay. I'd say I'll put pictures but I'm the WORSE, and mean the WORSE---hell I have photos from the ESTES PARK gathering which haven't been posted!!!! Except on facebook  ::)

I'd really like to see that silver and gold masterpiece....

Offline brokebackjack

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2008, 08:29:59 am »
By the way--- a 300 dollar cheesecake???LOLOLOLOL

oh
my
god!!!!

what will they think of next??

Offline brokebackjack

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2008, 08:31:45 am »
Interesting thread!

I used to collect a lot of Christmas ornaments, antique ones!

Why is that feather tree so expensive?
Not a clue Artiste!

I pity the naked birds LOL

But I've heard those feather trees are beautiful

Offline Artiste

« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2008, 11:45:54 am »
Seen one, but can not remember it to be beautiful!

I wonder how that all started?

Do you know?

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2008, 07:26:57 pm »
My mum has one Christmas Tree decoration left from a set, which she treasures. She always has a fit when she brings the decorations out cos she thinks she has lost it. But we always know where she has put it frm the eyar before. (She has put it n the same place for the last god... 14 years!

Its a Xmas decoration that her dad brought home from a foreign trip when she was a child (he was a deep sea diver) its a little santa. It has almost like a wax face (which is smaller than your pinky nail) and his body is made from red wool. It's like a little stick man with a face. Its literally as wide as your index fingers and half the length of it. Its tiny and a bit ragged now but its a staple on the tree and sits at the top near the star.
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline Artiste

« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2008, 07:54:16 pm »
That sounds so beautiful Kelda!

May we see a photo of it?

Please!

Au revoir,
hugs!  I could not remember where to find the Christmas tree to-day, and mother did saying that it was in her bedroom! I usually place it in the garage and then can not find it; so I know that she purchased another one last year! Here pic of it a bit... with that small angel that my gay brother purchased for her many, many years ago when he was a saleman in a store! That angel used to light up!

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2008, 06:14:48 am »
I'm not a ornament-aholic, but I have one ornament that is especially dear to me. It's my favorite ornament since I was a child. When I moved out from my dad's place, I took it with me, and it's on the top of my tree every year:

Offline brokebackjack

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2008, 10:32:42 am »
Hey, we have 1 similkiar to yours Chrissi!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2010, 12:23:18 am »
My favorite ornament is a mauve glass ball with deer romping around its equator. I bought it when I was nine years old...my mother said each of us children could select one ornament, and it's been with me ever since.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2010, 11:46:26 am »
I bought a fancy christnmas tree ornament at the rockefeller centre in NYC. It has its own little presentation box & is hand blown and hand painted with a scene of the big rockefeller xmas tree.

That was my treat from NYC!

Its now apacked in the Christmas box, so once I bring it out I'll take a photo!

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2010, 07:53:55 pm »
I bought a fancy christnmas tree ornament at the rockefeller centre in NYC. It has its own little presentation box & is hand blown and hand painted with a scene of the big rockefeller xmas tree.

That was my treat from NYC!

Its now apacked in the Christmas box, so once I bring it out I'll take a photo!
:D

Offline zephaniah

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2010, 12:42:05 pm »
Addicted?  Maybe to the brink of needing treatment.  I have ornaments that range from the antique (the nicest is a beautifully preserved garland of mini glass ornaments) to the funky (some WWII globe ornaments that are mostly clear - to save the paint for military use - with cardboard crowns - to save the metal for the military) to the wicked pricey (Waterford, Radke).  My Dad died in 2003, and I haven't had a tree since then, but I still buy ornaments.  These days I do buy fewer, only two or three/year, but I do not want to stop, so maybe it's a hobby, not an addiction...although I can't imagine stopping.  Sadly, I even remember the 'victim' ornaments, the beauties that 'died' in service.  Do I need help?

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2010, 03:09:47 pm »
SOunds like you might be! What do you do with the ornaments if you dont show the pretty with a tree? Pictures please!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2010, 08:41:57 am »
Yesterday, just out of curiosity, I typed "vintage Christmas tree ornaments" into the search box on eBay. OMG, there were literally thousands of listings of vintage ornaments!  :o

I myself may be trying to score a small, vintage, aluminum Christmas tree.  ;D

That's actually kind of funny. When I was a very small boy my grandparents had a floor-model aluminum tree, and I hated it because you couldn't put lights on it. OTOH, at the same time, we used to put a small aluminum tree in my room, so maybe that's why I'm feeling drawn to try to get one for my Christmas tree this year.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2010, 11:06:08 am »
I may not be addicted, but in honor of this thread, I decided to start a new tradition and buy one new and special ornament every year, preferrably to be bought on vacations, so it's also a souvenir.

Two weeks ago I was in the Black Forest and bought my first souvenir-special ornament: a glass bowl with two 'holes' in it and a tiny miniature Christmas tree inside the glass bowl.
Will post a pic when I have one.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2010, 11:09:11 am »
Yesterday, just out of curiosity, I typed "vintage Christmas tree ornaments" into the search box on eBay. OMG, there were literally thousands of listings of vintage ornaments!  :o

I myself may be trying to score a small, vintage, aluminum Christmas tree.  ;D

That's actually kind of funny. When I was a very small boy my grandparents had a floor-model aluminum tree, and I hated it because you couldn't put lights on it. OTOH, at the same time, we used to put a small aluminum tree in my room, so maybe that's why I'm feeling drawn to try to get one for my Christmas tree this year.

Did I get you right and you're talking about two different things? Small floor-model aluminum trees and even smaller ornaments, looking like those floor models?
Anyway, good luck Jeff!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2010, 11:15:35 am »
Did I get you right and you're talking about two different things? Small floor-model aluminum trees and even smaller ornaments, looking like those floor models?
Anyway, good luck Jeff!

Close, but not exactly. I'm not thinking of looking for an ornament that looks like an aluminum Christmas tree, just maybe looking for a small, table-top-size aluminum tree.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2010, 07:48:40 pm »
"Aluminum" as an adjective modifying "tree"? That does not compute  ???

On these fine end-of-fall days I like to tromp around looking for a nice twiggy branch to set up on the stair landing in a crock and hang my leftover ornaments on it, that won't fit on the regular tree. Or a deer or elk antler, anything like that. This year I scored early...the elk came through and made a mess of our large pea bush. The bush was getting out of control so I just think of it as natural pruning. I stuck it in some sand and it's all ready to go.

Offline Fran

• "ABCs of BBM" moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2010, 11:02:16 pm »
Close, but not exactly. I'm not thinking of looking for an ornament that looks like an aluminum Christmas tree, just maybe looking for a small, table-top-size aluminum tree.

Jeff, have you seen this site:

http://aluminumchristmastrees.net/store/categories/1/christmas-trees/

I think you can get your tabletop tree for under $10.  (To save time, shop trees in ascending order pricewise.)

And because I'm nosy, I just have to ask:  Did your parents use a color wheel with their tree?

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2010, 03:41:23 am »
I got curious and clicked Fran's link. The idea of aluminum Christmas trees sounded strange to me when Jeff mentioned it, but when I looked it up now - OMG, only in America! :o

And the ornaments going along with it:

Only in America you could sell something like this as Christmas ornaments :laugh: ;)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #30 on: November 01, 2010, 09:03:38 am »
Jeff, have you seen this site:

http://aluminumchristmastrees.net/store/categories/1/christmas-trees/

I think you can get your tabletop tree for under $10.  (To save time, shop trees in ascending order pricewise.)

And because I'm nosy, I just have to ask:  Did your parents use a color wheel with their tree?

Somewhat belatedly--thanks! I'll check this out.

So far I've just been looking on eBay, where table-top models seem to be going for about $50.

It was my grandparents who had the aluminum tree, and, yeah, you betcha, they had a color wheel!  :laugh:

I'm laughing at my own fascination with these trees now, because when I was a little boy, I couldn't stand Grandma and Grandpa's tree. It seemed like such an abomination because you couldn't put lights on it--which, to me then, seemed the very essence of "Christmas tree." It was all very 1960. The tree sat in the big picture window in the living room, with the color wheel trained on it, so that passers-by in the street could see this aluminum tree change colors as the color wheel turned.  :laugh:

On eBay I've even seen a pink aluminum tree--which, of course, reminds me of instructions given to Charlie Brown to get a modern Christmas tree--"maybe painted pink!"  :laugh:

I'm also looking into feather trees.  8)

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #31 on: November 01, 2010, 03:14:48 pm »
I'm also looking into feather trees.  8)

You made me google again. Now I feel so old world :laugh:.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #32 on: November 01, 2010, 04:24:57 pm »
You made me google again. Now I feel so old world :laugh:.

:laugh:

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #33 on: November 01, 2010, 10:07:50 pm »
Today I met with the originator of this thread, brokebackjack. He gave me some wonderful rose cuttings. We're looking forward to the opening of the Botanic Gardens holiday shop in a few days, LOL!

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #34 on: December 19, 2010, 03:03:39 pm »
The special ornament I bought in the Black Forest this year:

And my Ennis truck again:

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #35 on: December 19, 2010, 03:09:01 pm »
It's not really an ornament, since it's not hanging in the tree. But it's a new special Christmas decoration for me. You can't buy any western themed decoration in Germany. Not a chance in hell, zero, nada.
But I found a campfire/cooking fire! :D
It's made for nativity scenes, but to me, it's a reference to our boys. If you can't get western themed deco, you have to get creative, lol.

I put it next to my nativity scene:

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #36 on: December 19, 2010, 03:15:40 pm »
One of my bosses certainly is addicted to Christmas ornaments, because aside from two joke gifts, my present this year from him was nothing BUT gorgeous Christmas tree ornaments.  Of course, I don't celebrate Xmas and don't have a tree, but it's the thought that counts and they're still very lovely.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #37 on: December 19, 2010, 03:23:18 pm »
One of my bosses certainly is addicted to Christmas ornaments, because aside from two joke gifts, my present this year from him was nothing BUT gorgeous Christmas tree ornaments.  Of course, I don't celebrate Xmas and don't have a tree, but it's the thought that counts and they're still very lovely.

If you like them and want to show them, you could hang them into a window or on a wall, even if you're not celebrating.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #38 on: December 19, 2010, 03:26:38 pm »
After posting some ornaments, here's the whole thingie:

Question: Shall we open a new thread, reserved for trees? We have tree pics from previous years scattered in several threads. Might be nice to have them all collected in one thread and compare different years.What do people think?

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #39 on: December 19, 2010, 03:47:18 pm »

my rockefeller ornament above...

and my tree...

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #40 on: December 19, 2010, 04:07:57 pm »
Love the Rockefeller ornament. Ain't it great to have ornaments that remind you of special events?

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #41 on: December 19, 2010, 04:27:59 pm »
It's not really an ornament, since it's not hanging in the tree. But it's a new special Christmas decoration for me. You can't buy any western themed decoration in Germany. Not a chance in hell, zero, nada.
But I found a campfire/cooking fire! :D
It's made for nativity scenes, but to me, it's a reference to our boys. If you can't get western themed deco, you have to get creative, lol.

I put it next to my nativity scene:

Love it!

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #42 on: December 19, 2010, 06:48:04 pm »

If you like them and want to show them, you could hang them into a window or on a wall, even if you're not celebrating.

I am.  Just trying to figure out a way to do it, so my cats don't think they're new dangly cat toys.  ;D

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #43 on: December 19, 2010, 07:08:17 pm »
Chrissi, I love the camp fire and the Ennis' truck ornaments!

The truck is clearly visible in the picture of your tree.

(and I sense a certain IKEA touch to your book case..... 8))

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #44 on: December 20, 2010, 12:52:32 am »
Question: Shall we open a new thread, reserved for trees? We have tree pics from previous years scattered in several threads. Might be nice to have them all collected in one thread and compare different years.What do people think?

Chrissi, it would be nice to have a Christmas tree thread if you'd like.  Go for it!  8)

It's still fine to post the tree pics here, too, though.  They are covered with ornaments after all.  ;D
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #45 on: December 20, 2010, 01:57:58 am »
I am.  Just trying to figure out a way to do it, so my cats don't think they're new dangly cat toys.  ;D

Oh yes, I so know what you're talking about. ;D

(and I sense a certain IKEA touch to your book case..... 8))

Yes, it's Billy. ;D

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #46 on: December 20, 2010, 06:53:50 pm »

Yes, it's Billy. ;D

Exactly what I thought it was!   8)

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #47 on: December 31, 2010, 03:37:52 pm »

Penthesilea on December 19, 2010, 03:23:18 pm

Solution:  I piled them in a decorative bowl!  ;D

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #48 on: January 01, 2011, 06:32:42 am »
Penthesilea on December 19, 2010, 03:23:18 pm
Solution:  I piled them in a decorative bowl!  ;D

Good thinking there. :)
For my part, I continue to hang back two or three ornaments a day. Thankfully, my cat is content with the lower branches of the tree. All the ornaments which are special to me hang in the upper branches. So far not one ornament is broken, thanks to the carpet under the tree.

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #49 on: January 02, 2011, 07:14:21 pm »
All my decorations are now down.. it feels very very bare..

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #50 on: January 09, 2016, 09:27:23 pm »
I didn't realize how many cowboy/western/Brokie ornaments I have until I took them all down today!  :laugh:

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #51 on: September 05, 2019, 08:34:10 pm »
I ordered three lots of ornaments for my tree for Christmas. The first lot arrived today, here's a look of them. The first pic has the water bottle to give you an idea of the size. For as large as they are, they're very light.

I generally have a rule that I don't do anything Christmas related until after Thanksgiving. I just happened to see the ornaments I ordered on ebay, and the auctions were up by the beginning of next week, so if I wanted them, I had to get them now.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #52 on: September 05, 2019, 08:34:23 pm »

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #53 on: September 07, 2019, 05:15:26 pm »
The second lot of ornaments I ordered arrived today!

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #54 on: September 07, 2019, 06:08:44 pm »

So, while I was resizing and posting the pic of lot #2, the last lot of ornaments arrived! LOL. They are now all here!

Here is Catwoman, Batman, Robin, the 1960s Batmobile, Spiderman, and Batman on his Batcycle from the 1990s.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #55 on: September 07, 2019, 06:09:07 pm »

Batman, the 1990s Batmobile, Flash, Superman lunchbox, and a Super Friends lunchbox showing Flash, Green Arrow, and Batgirl.

I have the Super Friends lunchbox already, but it came with the lot, so I'll put them side-by-side to show both side. The other side shows Superman, Wonder Woman, and Batman & Robin.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #56 on: September 08, 2019, 04:12:25 pm »
The second lot of ornaments I ordered arrived today!

The shirt is very impressive--because I've seen shirts like that in stores.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #57 on: October 05, 2019, 12:41:44 pm »
I ordered a new bunch of ornaments from the Hallmark site.  I also had to go to the store today, because there was a Limited Edition ornament that I wanted, but you had to buy it in the store.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #58 on: October 05, 2019, 12:43:29 pm »

Batman and Robin from the 1960 TV series, in the Batboat released today, 10/5.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #59 on: October 05, 2019, 12:44:20 pm »

Classic Superman released today 10/5.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #60 on: October 05, 2019, 12:45:33 pm »

Mini Green Lantern ornament, penny for size comparison.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #61 on: October 05, 2019, 12:48:08 pm »

Mini Aquaman ornament, penny for size comparison.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #62 on: October 05, 2019, 12:48:52 pm »

Wonder Woman and her invisible jet.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #63 on: October 05, 2019, 12:50:27 pm »

Batgirl from the 1960s Batman series, played by Yvonne Craig.  This is the Limited Edition ornament that was only available in stores, I got the last one that was on the shelf.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #64 on: October 05, 2019, 01:02:54 pm »
Wow, what a dream tree you'll have! You should have tours and charge people for entry!

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #65 on: December 28, 2019, 03:22:36 pm »
I have to say, I liked the way the tree looked this year.

The new ornaments look great on it, and I used tinsel on it instead of garland.  It didn't take as long as I thought it would to decorate it.  I also have three great sets of lights on it, the majority of the lights are steady-burning, but then every few bulbs is a flashing one, which is a combo I like.  I don't like all of the lights blinking, but I like some sort of 'motion' on the tree, so the flashing lights give me that.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #66 on: December 15, 2020, 10:28:26 pm »
New ornaments for the tree this year.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #67 on: January 01, 2021, 11:04:40 am »
I treated myself to a review of this topic today. I haven't read it much over the years and it is a wonderful view into our personalities and our evolution as a community.

In recent years, my ornaments have languished in bowls and baskets because my son-in-law thought Christmas trees were "pagan". (I tried to tell him that the pagans [which simply means "people of the country"] worshipped the oak tree, not evergreens, but he didn't seem to listen.) He has mellowed over the years and now it's acceptable to have garlands inside and outside lighted trees. So, I'm glad I didn't get rid of my ornaments.

I actually have a few Brokie ornaments! Here's one.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #68 on: January 01, 2021, 01:04:12 pm »
I'm glad you didn't get rid of your ornaments, Lee.

I'm taking my tree down today, and I'm taking some pics of my ornaments in groups.   My Western/Cowboy ornaments, and then my super hero ornaments.

Once I have the pics taken, and the tree taken down, I'll post them.

Offline brianr

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #69 on: January 01, 2021, 02:31:02 pm »
The whole concept of Christmas is pagan. The Christian church took over the mid-winter festival.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #70 on: January 01, 2021, 04:54:50 pm »
Ok, since it's a three day weekend, I've decided to start to "de-Christmas" the apartment, and I've got a bunch accomplished.

I also decided to group my ornaments and post some pics.

LOL

I have three pics of my super hero collection.  Click the pics to make them bigger.

Top Row: Four different Batman

Middle: Superman, Batman, Aquaman & Wonder Woman

Bottom: Invisible Jet, Flash, Wonder Woman, Batgirl, and Green Lantern

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #71 on: January 01, 2021, 04:55:21 pm »
Top Row: SF Lunchbox, Batmobile, Batman & Robin, Superman Lunchbox, mini-Aquaman

Middle: Batcycle, Lego Superman, 2nd SF lunchbox, Batmobile, mini Catwoman, mini Green Lantern

Bottom: Hall of Justice, Batboat, Batman, Batmobile.

Along the right are three glass ornaments of Wonder Woman, Batman, and Superman, and two flat, metal ornaments of Superman & Batman

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #72 on: January 01, 2021, 04:55:52 pm »

Ornaments I made of missing characters, part of the Super Friends TV show but not popular enough to get their own ornaments.

Top Row: Black Vulcan, Samurai, Apache Chief, El Dorado

Bottom: Wonder Twins, Rima, Hakwman & Hawkgirl, Wendy & Marvin.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #73 on: January 01, 2021, 04:56:23 pm »

None of these boots are made for walkin', they're all on my tree.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #74 on: January 01, 2021, 04:56:45 pm »
Assorted cowboy hats, guns, saddles, wagon wheels, and other items.   
Middle row has an ornament that says "I wish I knew how to quit you" and the bottom row
has an ornament that resembles Ennis' truck.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #75 on: January 01, 2021, 04:57:15 pm »
Other ornaments that I have been given as gifts.  If you look next to the Elvis ornament, you'll see a very specific Brokeback ornament, with little bells hanging from it.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #76 on: January 01, 2021, 05:18:40 pm »
Assorted cowboy hats, guns, saddles, wagon wheels, and other items.   
Middle row has an ornament that says "I wish I knew how to quit you" and the bottom row
has an ornament that resembles Ennis' truck.

Wow! What a treasure trove!

Offline brianr

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #77 on: January 01, 2021, 06:33:41 pm »
LOL
Do you have any "Christmas" ornaments?

I have an 8 cm high nativity scene on one side of the TV stand and a similar size Santa's workshop on the other. On the shelf under my front window is a 5 pce Santa Babushka doll. Then there is a wreath that should go on the front door but I put on my Dining room table. I only use the table for visitors and for myself for Christmas Day lunch. It surrounds a red glass vase that I bought in Murano, Italy way back in 1976 so looks a bit like a candle. I do have solar lights for the trees in the garden but as sunset is at 9.30pm I do not see much point and did not put them up this year.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #78 on: January 01, 2021, 08:25:40 pm »
LOL

I have an 8 cm high nativity scene on one side of the TV stand and a similar size Santa's workshop on the other. On the shelf under my front window is a 5 pce Santa Babushka doll. Then there is a wreath that should go on the front door but I put on my Dining room table. I only use the table for visitors and for myself for Christmas Day lunch. It surrounds a red glass vase that I bought in Murano, Italy way back in 1976 so looks a bit like a candle. I do have solar lights for the trees in the garden but as sunset is at 9.30pm I do not see much point and did not put them up this year.

Some of them are Christmasy, you just have to look.

None of the super hero stuff is Christmas in any way, the same with the cowboy boots.

As for  the other Western ornaments, the replica of Ennis' truck has a Christmas tree in the back.  The 4 cowboy hats have Christmas lights on them, as does the guitar.   The ornaments given as gifts include a number based on the Christmas cartoon "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer".  The smurfs are Christmas themed, as are the Simpsons.  I'll see if I can find some detailed pics.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #79 on: January 01, 2021, 08:42:26 pm »
As for  the other Western ornaments, the replica of Ennis' truck has a Christmas tree in the back.  The 4 cowboy hats have Christmas lights on them, as does the guitar.   The ornaments given as gifts include a number based on the Christmas cartoon "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer".  The smurfs are Christmas themed, as are the Simpsons.  I'll see if I can find some detailed pics.

Ok Brian, I found some detailed pics of the ornaments.

The 4 large cowboy hats look like this.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #80 on: January 01, 2021, 08:43:25 pm »
The guitar also has Christmas lights to accent it, and the hat's band has holly and berries on it.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #81 on: January 01, 2021, 08:44:41 pm »

Ennis' truck has a Christmas tree and present in the back.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #82 on: January 01, 2021, 08:45:23 pm »

The Texas wreath.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #83 on: January 01, 2021, 08:46:10 pm »

Christmas smurfs.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #84 on: January 01, 2021, 08:47:07 pm »

Christmas Simpsons

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #85 on: January 02, 2021, 08:45:47 am »
LOL

Some of them are Christmasy, you just have to look.

Not to speak for Brian, but to me Christmas ornaments means stuff like glass baubles, bells, straw stars, etc. ;D
But I totally like your tree every year. It's so American, and it's sooo Chuckie! 8) And of course I love all your Western/Brokie themed ornaments! :)
And thanks to my Brokie friends, I also have some un-traditional ornaments on my tree (like my Ennis truck, a cowboy boot, etc.). And my tree has gotten much more full since I see your Americans' ones :laugh: For German circumstances, my tree is overdecorated, but it's still less full than yours.

This is a typical German tree, mostly naked, with few carefully placed baubles :laugh: Many people have even less baubles on it, and maximum two different colors on the tree.

(pic from the net, not mine)

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #86 on: January 02, 2021, 11:49:15 am »
I don't mind trees that are sparsely decorated.  I've seen trees that have no ornaments on them, just the lights, and they look very pretty that way.

Truth be told, my tree could have more on it, but I choose not to have a ton of ornaments.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #87 on: January 02, 2021, 09:39:58 pm »
The whole concept of Christmas is pagan. The Christian church took over the mid-winter festival.

Exactly. Many of our Christmas traditions are of pagan origins -- the tree, the yule log, all the lights, possibly the celebrations and feasts. Even the date itself, Dec. 25, has more to do with the winter solstice/darkest time of year (Chrissi -- it's an ancient version of Longerdays!) than it does with the actual day Jesus Christ was born. That's what was clever about the Church's conversion of pagans to Christianity -- they kept some pagan traditions to appeal to the converts.

Easter traditions are much the same. So are Halloween traditions, for that matter! I realize Halloween is not a Christian holiday, but the day afterward is. I think Christians established All Saints Day to Christianize pagans' Samhain.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
ADDICTED TO CHRISTMAS ORNAMENTS?
« Reply #88 on: January 02, 2021, 09:59:39 pm »
LOL

Not to speak for Brian, but to me Christmas ornaments means stuff like glass baubles, bells, straw stars, etc. ;D

I just went to look at mine and I have very few Christmas-specific ornaments. I'm too lazy to take and upload a photo, but there are a lot of foods (a slice of watermelon, a red-and-green transparent glass chili, a glittery peanut, a bottle of Tabasco). There are some animals, some musical instruments, some kind of abstractly colorful glass ones. The closest I have to explicitly Christmas is a very lovely bulb with angels painted on it that I got as a gift, a Christmasy-decor bulb with a picture of an ore boat on it because my ex-husband was into shipping-related stuff, and a few vintage bulbs with vaguely Christmasy designs, like wintery scenes. I have a couple of bells and a pearly dove. I used to have a few Santas, but they must have broken or disappeared.

I have a disco ball and an hourglass, both of which are more New Year's Eve than Christmas. I usually top the tree with a paper crown I got when my ex-husband and I went out for NYE the first year we were dating.

So yeah, I'm a pagan, even though I live in the city.

I would love to have an Ennis truck ornament! Tree and present in the back or otherwise! What a great idea.

In recent years, my ornaments have languished in bowls and baskets because my son-in-law thought Christmas trees were "pagan". (I tried to tell him that the pagans [which simply means "people of the country"] worshipped the oak tree, not evergreens, but he didn't seem to listen.) He has mellowed over the years and now it's acceptable to have garlands inside and outside lighted trees. So, I'm glad I didn't get rid of my ornaments.

Lee, I don't mean to be obtuse or insensitive, but why would you have to forgo a Christmas tree because your SIL doesn't like them? Can't he just not get one for his own home?

I mean, I think menorahs are Jewish and I'm not, but that doesn't mean my mother-in-law couldn't have one (if I had a Jewish MIL). I wouldn't object to however she wanted to practice her own religion. That is, if it didn't mean sacrificing babies or something. But I think that's pretty rare in most churches these days.  :laugh:

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #89 on: January 03, 2021, 02:38:35 pm »
Lee, I don't mean to be obtuse or insensitive, but why would you have to forgo a Christmas tree because your SIL doesn't like them? Can't he just not get one for his own home?
We usually celebrate Christmas at my home and I wanted him to feel comfortable there, and to feel comfortable bringing their children there. It's also because I want to be a good m-i-l and respect his preferences, because when I was a young bride, my preferences were not respected, and I still know how stinging that felt.

I mean, I think menorahs are Jewish and I'm not, but that doesn't mean my mother-in-law couldn't have one (if I had a Jewish MIL). I wouldn't object to however she wanted to practice her own religion. That is, if it didn't mean sacrificing babies or something. But I think that's pretty rare in most churches these days.  :laugh:
My s-i-l doesn't think of Christmas trees as part of the Christian religion. They also celebrate the birth of Christ in the fall rather than on Dec. 25. They also don't tell their children about Santa Claus (except to explain that he is based on a real-life St. Nikolaus). This has actually been beneficial. Knowing who the giver is, the children seem more appreciative of presents.

Although they have a Jewish lifestyle, they don't celebrate Hannukah or light the menorah. S-i-l explained to me that Hannukah is just a commemoration of a minor battle victory. Their major holidays are in the fall, with Purim and Yom Kippur, but it seems like they don't celebrate those as much lately either. I think that's part of the reason why they want to change churches because the congregation is not engaged enough to put on these events.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #90 on: January 03, 2021, 05:57:58 pm »
Although they have a Jewish lifestyle, they don't celebrate Hannukah or light the menorah. S-i-l explained to me that Hannukah is just a commemoration of a minor battle victory. Their major holidays are in the fall, with Purim and Yom Kippur, but it seems like they don't celebrate those as much lately either. I think that's part of the reason why they want to change churches because the congregation is not engaged enough to put on these events.

See, for years, probably more like a decade or more, I've been telling myself that I should get a small menorah because I believe that the victory of the Maccabees is, historically speaking, properly as much as part of Christian heritage as the Old Testament. I believe memories of the Maccabees informed the politics of Palestine in Jesus' day--some people thought he was going to be the great king and military leader who was going to drive out the Romans and restore Jewish independence, as had the Maccabees. In one of the Gospels I once came across what I took to be a reference to Hannukah, but not by name, something about Jesus in the Temple, and it's winter, but I never could memorize books, chapters, and verses, so I can't provide a citation.

On historical grounds I would kind of dispute the idea that Hannukah commemorates a "minor" victory.

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #91 on: January 03, 2021, 06:34:44 pm »
You are right, Jeff. Hannuka doesn't commemmorate a "minor" victory, rather a big and important victory in Jewish history.
It restored the Jewish sovereignity over Jerusalem and the re-inauguration of the temple.

Excuse me for saying so, Lee, but your s-i-l's  religion seems like a totally fucked up mixture that belongs neither here nor there.
It seems like a homemade concoction with no real connection to Judaism whatsoever.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #92 on: January 03, 2021, 09:05:13 pm »
You are right, Jeff. Hannuka doesn't commemmorate a "minor" victory, rather a big and important victory in Jewish history.
It restored the Jewish sovereignity over Jerusalem and the re-inauguration of the temple.

Thanks for the confirmation.  :)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #93 on: January 04, 2021, 06:26:31 pm »
Excuse me for saying so, Lee, but your s-i-l's  religion seems like a totally fucked up mixture that belongs neither here nor there.
It seems like a homemade concoction with no real connection to Judaism whatsoever.

I excuse you, Sonja. I have thought a similar thing myself. The good news is that my daughter's family is leaving that church and hopefully their new community of faith will be more grounded. R. was also telling me that Messianic Judaism is a "made up" religion, not a "revealed" religion like the Abrahamic ones. There is plenty of made-up stuff in all religions though as well as different ways to interpret everything in the sacred texts.

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #94 on: January 04, 2021, 07:21:02 pm »
I'm glad to hear they're leaving it. Hopefully they'll find something better and more real.

I agree with your R, that Messianic Judaism is made up. It doesn't belong in Judaism at all, and should find itself another name.  Why not "Made up Mess"?  :laugh: