Author Topic: Jake Gyllenhaal - in his own words  (Read 15845 times)

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Jake Gyllenhaal - in his own words
« on: December 19, 2008, 09:04:38 am »
“As well as that, every man goes through a period of thinking they're attracted to another guy.”

Former IMDb Name: True Oracle of Phoenix / TOoP (I pronounce it "too - op") / " in fire forged,  from ash reborn" / Currently: GeorgeObliqueStrokeXR40

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
Re: Jake Gyllenhaal - in his own words
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2008, 09:05:08 am »
“It's funny to me that people find other people getting coffee really interesting, or walking their dog in the dog park.”
Former IMDb Name: True Oracle of Phoenix / TOoP (I pronounce it "too - op") / " in fire forged,  from ash reborn" / Currently: GeorgeObliqueStrokeXR40

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2008, 09:05:33 am »
“I'm going to continue doing what I want to do. And if it means I want to go and make a big movie, if it has something to say, I will want to make it. I don't want to spend my life wasting my time. If it's a big movie, I want to do it. If it's a small movie, I want to do it.”

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2008, 09:06:03 am »
“We were talking about the kissing in the movie just recently. Clearly, it's pretty challenging material, but Ang said two men herding sheep was far more sexual than two men having sex on screen.”

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2008, 09:06:32 am »
      “If you're going to spend seven months of your life - for me seven months, for Roland Emmerich, 3, 4, 5 years of his life - doing something, I think you have to have something to say.”

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2008, 09:07:19 am »
      “If it does shed light on the idea that there's real love involved ... it's great. When two people love each other, they love each other. And people should hold on to it as hard as they can, whether it's homosexual or heterosexual.”
« Last Edit: December 20, 2008, 03:15:14 am by TOoP/Bruce »

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2008, 09:07:48 am »
“I have a friend who is in Iraq right now and is doing a lot of good over there, restoring schools and helping democracy in a way. Do I agree with the administration and their intentions behind this war? I don't know; I don't think so. But I can't do anything but support wholeheartedly, and actually look up to, these soldiers in a way that I never did before I made this movie.”

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2008, 09:08:15 am »
“I wouldn't call it a western, ... I would call it a love story that happens to take place in the West.”
« Last Edit: December 19, 2008, 05:01:43 pm by TOoP/Bruce »

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2008, 09:08:33 am »
“Crazy people don't sit around wondering if they're nuts.”
« Last Edit: December 19, 2008, 05:00:32 pm by TOoP/Bruce »

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2008, 09:09:26 am »
On the relationship between Jake, Michelle, and Heath:

“We made out, and they had a baby.”

« Last Edit: December 20, 2008, 05:26:56 pm by TOoP/Bruce »

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2008, 09:09:52 am »
      “This means even more to me socially than artistically. It's just a pleasure to be a part of this movie and I can't even believe I've got this for it.”
« Last Edit: December 20, 2008, 01:15:38 am by TOoP/Bruce »

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2008, 09:10:35 am »
“As an actor, it's a constant question of whether I will ever get hired again ... (but) this idea is so important, and if that meant for a couple of takes I was going to have to make out with some guy, then so be it.”
« Last Edit: December 20, 2008, 01:13:23 am by TOoP/Bruce »

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2008, 09:10:48 am »
thanks for these interesting quotes, Bruce. I love reading them

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2008, 09:10:59 am »
“For me, it was hard in a different way than with Heath. Because I think Heath was kind of constantly being pushed back by Ang, pushed back into his skin, and he wanted to come out. I had heard all these stories from actors who had warned me that after the first day of work, Ang said, 'You'll get better.' So I was waiting for that. And the first day of work he walked out to me and said, 'Great job.' And I was like, 'Uh-oh, that's not good.”
« Last Edit: December 20, 2008, 05:25:26 pm by TOoP/Bruce »

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2008, 09:11:14 am »
“I thought Heath had broken my nose while we were filming that scene. Both Michelle and Ang kept insisting the kiss had to be more fierce, more intense, more passionate, so Heath pushed me against the wall and came in really hard for the kiss.”

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2008, 09:11:36 am »
      “I grew up in L.A., so the idea of same-sex relationships is hardly foreign to me. I think there comes a time when everyone asks himself about his sexuality. That doesn't mean you experiment, but you definitely think about your preferences.”

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2008, 09:11:58 am »
      “I doubt that means actors are going to be stampeding to play gay cowboys or even gay roles. But they'll be looking for material as honest and powerful as this film offers.”
« Last Edit: December 19, 2008, 05:04:10 pm by TOoP/Bruce »

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2008, 09:12:28 am »
      “Ang Lee is fierce in his timidity, his humbleness and his respect for everyone around him. He's frustrating and so damn wise.”

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2008, 09:12:59 am »
“Ang was great ... because he would set up situations and then let me and Heath decide what to do within the space Ang created.”

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2008, 09:13:18 am »
“That was so scary, the last scene Heath and I shot together. We finally get to say to each other what we want to say, and I was really nervous because there were so many emotions, and both men have been holding so much back. Luckily, the dialogue is so great that it worked out.”

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2008, 09:13:33 am »
“When I was in 'Jarhead,' I felt really good about my body, really confident,”
« Last Edit: December 19, 2008, 05:03:12 pm by TOoP/Bruce »

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2008, 09:14:35 am »
“It was at a point where I realized that like I had told Sam before we started 'I'll throw up in the sand for you. I'm gonna do anything I can for you,' but I never thought I would chip off my tooth for him. That's permanent,”
« Last Edit: December 20, 2008, 01:20:34 am by TOoP/Bruce »

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2008, 09:15:00 am »
      “The sheep were interesting. They were the easiest thing. They just naturally herd, and they are naturally stupid.”
« Last Edit: December 20, 2008, 01:17:09 am by TOoP/Bruce »

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2008, 09:15:34 am »
The best thing that I got was rehearsing with my father. It was always about the process of figuring things out, and trying something new, and having another take on something and keeping it alive.

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2008, 09:16:08 am »
In a perfect world, I would love to do one play for every three movies.

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2008, 09:16:28 am »
You know, it's flattering when there's a rumor that says I'm bisexual. It means I can play more kinds of roles. I'm open to whatever people want to call me. I've never really been attracted to men sexually, but I don't think I would be afraid of it if it happened.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2008, 05:07:17 pm by TOoP/Bruce »

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2008, 09:16:40 am »
Being a star doesn't last. That's not what life should be about. It's a complete illusion that really has nothing to do with you. For me, finding out about life is the most important thing.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2008, 01:28:48 am by TOoP/Bruce »

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2008, 09:16:53 am »
I admire actors and artists who devote just as much time to their life as they do to their work.

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2008, 09:17:07 am »
Coming from a family where my mom is a writer, I just respond to how people speak.

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2008, 09:17:25 am »
The truth is most of the films that make a lot of money no one remembers, and I'm not interested in making films that no one remembers.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2008, 05:06:09 pm by TOoP/Bruce »

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #30 on: December 19, 2008, 09:17:40 am »
We live in a sad time where actors are politicians & politicians are actors.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2008, 01:27:23 am by TOoP/Bruce »

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #31 on: December 19, 2008, 09:17:54 am »
"First, it's 'Who is Jake Gyllenhaal?,' then it's 'Get me Jake Gyllenhaal,'  then 'Get me someone who looks like Jake Gyllenhaal,'  and then 'Who is Jake Gyllenhaal?'...Right now, I'm between 'Who  is Jake Gyllenhaal?' and 'Get me Jake Gyllenhaal.'" [Gyllenhaal on the stages of fame in Hollywood]
« Last Edit: December 19, 2008, 05:09:27 pm by TOoP/Bruce »

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #32 on: December 19, 2008, 09:18:10 am »
"If you're going to dive in, dive into the deep end."
« Last Edit: December 20, 2008, 01:26:34 am by TOoP/Bruce »

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #33 on: December 19, 2008, 09:18:27 am »
"I admire actors and artists who devote just as much time to their life as they do to their work."
« Last Edit: December 20, 2008, 01:36:59 am by TOoP/Bruce »

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #34 on: December 19, 2008, 09:18:47 am »
"... We use lines like " Love has no bounds," but that's become bulls***. For me, this is a story where that might actually be true. Hopefully." [Jake on the story of Brokeback Mountain]

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #35 on: December 19, 2008, 09:19:05 am »
"Well, I don't pick projects because I'm, like, "Oh my God, thats an amazing role." I pick projects because of what it's trying to say- I want to be a part of it, for the message." [Vitals Magazine]

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #36 on: December 19, 2008, 09:19:29 am »
"Hey, I was arrogant at times with him. And I was confused at times, and I hope, at least, humble at times. I mean, I'd just got run down in my own life so there was nothing else I could give but what I was feeling." [Jake on his relationship with Heath Ledger on the movie Brokeback Mountain, Elle Magazine]

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #37 on: December 19, 2008, 09:19:47 am »
"...Take a movie like Donnie Darko, which I always believed in. I just always fucking believed in it, the collaboration and the process of making it, and it completely paid off for me." [Vitals Magazine]
« Last Edit: December 20, 2008, 01:45:11 am by TOoP/Bruce »

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #38 on: December 19, 2008, 09:20:00 am »
"I play a mathematician, which is ridiculous because I am horrible at math." [Jake talking about his role as Hal in Proof)

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #39 on: December 19, 2008, 09:20:15 am »
"I love to cook, I obsessed with cooking magazines." [Vitals Magazine]
« Last Edit: December 20, 2008, 01:41:41 am by TOoP/Bruce »

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #40 on: December 19, 2008, 09:20:32 am »
"I want to have a happy life, first and foremost. I think that will lead to a successful career." [Teen Vogue]
« Last Edit: December 20, 2008, 01:34:52 am by TOoP/Bruce »

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #41 on: December 19, 2008, 09:21:05 am »
"But I've always had her to look up to and to learn from. And in Hollywood, a touchstone like that is pretty priceless - especially when I see how envy can really poison people in the business." [Jake talking about Maggie, Teen Vogue]
« Last Edit: December 20, 2008, 01:33:36 am by TOoP/Bruce »

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #42 on: December 19, 2008, 09:21:32 am »
"I would really like people to know how to pronounce my last name. Correctly. Everywhere." [Jake's last quote in GQ magazine, btw its pronounced jill-en-hall]
« Last Edit: December 19, 2008, 04:58:08 pm by TOoP/Bruce »

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #43 on: December 19, 2008, 09:21:50 am »
 "Don't listen to what anybody says except the people who encourage you. If it's what you want to do and it's within yourself, then keep going and try to do it for the rest of your life."

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #44 on: December 19, 2008, 09:22:12 am »
"I have an abstract mind. It doesn't fit everywhere, but it fits in the world of performing."
« Last Edit: December 19, 2008, 04:46:05 pm by TOoP/Bruce »

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #45 on: December 19, 2008, 09:22:28 am »
"I'm just trying to do interesting, challenging work, and hoping that people-especially young people- will want to see it."

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #46 on: December 19, 2008, 09:22:42 am »
“My character's the one that kind of initiates these sexual encounters, which to me was, like, totally foreign.”
« Last Edit: December 19, 2008, 04:44:32 pm by TOoP/Bruce »

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #47 on: December 19, 2008, 09:23:22 am »
Happy Birthday, Jake!   :)

(I will be adding pictures to these quotes later...)

"Happy Birthday, Cannes!"
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=354sRTMjS6E[/youtube]

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #48 on: December 19, 2008, 10:22:12 am »
Promoting "Proof":  talking about his lack of math skills...
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEYAtBEWsLc[/youtube]

« Last Edit: December 19, 2008, 04:39:20 pm by TOoP/Bruce »

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #49 on: December 19, 2008, 10:22:57 am »
Promoting Jarhead:
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6NBlFv9-nI[/youtube]

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #50 on: December 19, 2008, 10:24:50 am »
At an Academy Awards luncheon:

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2eiEJWRX6xU[/youtube]

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #51 on: December 19, 2008, 10:26:02 am »
With Heath at the SAG awards:
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9a2yJpYzxc[/youtube]

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #52 on: December 19, 2008, 10:27:15 am »
Winning a BAFTA for Best Supporting Actor:  Brokeback Mountain:
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kerv__CasPE[/youtube]

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #53 on: December 19, 2008, 10:28:06 am »
Promoting Jarhead:
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgkoASbPf28[/youtube]

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #54 on: December 19, 2008, 10:29:21 am »
Jake on Ellen Promoting Jarhead:
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NV8a-KtjSIs[/youtube]

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #55 on: December 19, 2008, 10:30:07 am »
Jake promotes Zodiac on Letterman:
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-yOr5_XMgM[/youtube]

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #56 on: December 19, 2008, 10:30:49 am »
Jake promotes Rendition on Letterman:
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CceIZjimI5g[/youtube]

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #57 on: December 19, 2008, 10:33:09 am »
Italian interview with Jake promoting BbM:
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zusaIRvcezY[/youtube]

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #58 on: December 19, 2008, 10:39:05 am »
Jake sings a bit of "Night Fever":
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAo9o71o9Yc[/youtube]

Allez, allez, allez!

Merci beaucoup!
« Last Edit: December 19, 2008, 04:38:14 pm by TOoP/Bruce »

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #59 on: December 19, 2008, 10:44:00 am »
Jake rocks SNL as Jennifer Hudson:
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uY1s0Er05_g[/youtube]

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #60 on: December 19, 2008, 10:46:26 am »
Jake does his "Lord of the Dance" impersonation:
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKdsiGngNhI[/youtube]

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #61 on: December 19, 2008, 10:48:40 am »
Li'l Jake interview (age 11) for CitySlickers:

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynr2tZ_RoLE[/youtube]

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #62 on: December 19, 2008, 10:50:11 am »
Promoting Donnie Darko:
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FFTX77O-6c[/youtube]

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #63 on: December 19, 2008, 10:53:18 am »
promoting Donnie Darko:
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdHv-jVx1yg[/youtube]

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #64 on: December 19, 2008, 10:54:22 am »
Jake promoting Jarhead with Peter Sarsgaard:
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScmRQizluU0[/youtube]

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #65 on: December 19, 2008, 10:55:11 am »
Promoting Jarhead:
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZK25FV2u534[/youtube]

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #66 on: December 19, 2008, 10:57:40 am »
Jake Gyllenhaal on Conan:
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7emwOWB6NDQ[/youtube]

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #67 on: December 19, 2008, 11:25:18 am »

Thanks for starting this cool thread Bruce!  8) :D

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #68 on: December 19, 2008, 11:49:59 am »

So goofy. So graceful. So dear.

"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #69 on: December 19, 2008, 01:33:17 pm »
Jake getting a "high 'n' tight" for Jarhead:
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTD3f0dEeiA[/youtube]

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #70 on: December 19, 2008, 04:31:42 pm »
Thanks for starting this cool thread Bruce!  8) :D

You are welcome!

Offline optom3

« Reply #71 on: December 19, 2008, 05:14:31 pm »
I have to admit that I am a bit of a Heath girl, however there are some pretty jaw dropping photos of Jake.So thankyou for taking the trouble to post them all.

Offline Gabreya

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #72 on: December 19, 2008, 10:19:05 pm »
I seriously LOVE this guy! He's just mouthwatering in all of those previous photos. Especially the one where he's working out on the set of "Jarhead". I'm so grateful that I share a birthday with him! ;) :)

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #73 on: December 20, 2008, 05:50:34 am »
love love love this thread!!!
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/