Author Topic: <-- Introduce Yourself -->  (Read 858994 times)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
Re: <-- Introduce Yourself -->
« Reply #830 on: July 13, 2007, 12:27:32 am »
David, I wonder if you've got any Van Gogh blood in those multicultural veins of yours lol!  I am impressed!  :D

I don't think so Kerry. If I was, I'm sure my grandfather would have told me about it many years ago. I'll ask my dad the next time I see him, which should be tomorrow during my lunch break. He lives about 5 minutes away from where I work at my part time job.

No, I don't think I'm related to Mr. Van Gogh. But it sure would be cool if I was!!  8)
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #831 on: July 13, 2007, 12:42:46 am »
I don't think so Kerry. If I was, I'm sure my grandfather would have told me about it many years ago. I'll ask my dad the next time I see him, which should be tomorrow during my lunch break. He lives about 5 minutes away from where I work at my part time job.

No, I don't think I'm related to Mr. Van Gogh. But it sure would be cool if I was!!  8)

Now that I think about it, it probably is unlikely. Vincent's father was a Protestant minister and I'm guessing that your Dutch ancestors would have been Catholic, David. They may have known each other, though? Bumped into each other at the market, perhaps? It's exciting to consider!  :D I don't think Arnhem was a very big place in the late 1800s.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #832 on: July 13, 2007, 03:56:27 am »
My father's side of the family is from Gelderland and Noord Brabant, mostly from the cities of Arnhem, Nijmegen and Eindhoven.

Once grandpa passed away we stopped speaking Dutch. I think we did it out of grief, but now I think it was quite an injustice to him and his memory. I met an exchange student from Rotterdam when I was 15, and for a year I found myself speaking Dutch again. But now it's been 30 years and I only remember tiny remnants of the language. It's a terrible shame.

David! I didn't realise you're family are from the Nijmegen area - I'll be sure to take lots of photos when I'm there doing my walk!! Any particular village round there? as no doubt I'll be walking through them!

I bet that if you were emersed in the culture it would all come flooding back. I only did Standard Grade French but about 5 years later i went to Paris with my Mum, and I was left to take charge - it was amazing how it started coming back to me - certainly i wasn't proficient - but then I never was! - but i got by and I was only there for a long weekend.

It's all forgotten again - but if I went back.. who knows!

Kerry - I haven't seen your writings about your brother - do you have yor own blog that i missed - Mel's comments makes me want to see your writings - sounds beautiful!
xx
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

mvansand76

« Reply #833 on: July 13, 2007, 05:51:09 am »
Gosh, it is, indeed, such a small world. I'm not proud to confess that my knowledge of the Netherlands is not vast. And what I do know mainly comes as a consequence of my interest in art. As a little nipper, I was besotted by Vincent Van Gogh and made it my business to find out as much about him as I could. Most of the knowledge that came from my adolescent obsession has subsequently faded from my memory. However, having said that, when you mentioned Noord Brabant and Arnhem, David, my ears pricked-up big time. Correct me if I'm wrong, Melissa, but aren't both of those locations iconic within the Van Gogh canon? David, I wonder if you've got any Van Gogh blood in those multicultural veins of yours lol!  I am impressed!  :D

From wiki:

Vincent Willem van Gogh was born in Groot-Zundert, a village close to Breda in the Province of North Brabant in the southern Netherlands[1]. Vincent was the son of Anna Cornelia Carbentus and Theodorus van Gogh, a minister of the Dutch Reformed Church.

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #834 on: July 13, 2007, 09:17:08 am »
Kerry - I haven't seen your writings about your brother - do you have yor own blog that i missed - Mel's comments makes me want to see your writings - sounds beautiful!
xx

When I first came to BetterMost, last November, Kelda, I wrote a little Intro about myself here at this thread. I was very touched that Melissa had remembered what I wrote about my brother. I have since deleted that post. Not sure why I deleted it. I was very emotional back then, suffering badly from Acute Post-BBM Stress Disorder. With the assistance of the sweet, loving folks here at BetterMost, I have done a great deal of healing since then, and  I guess I felt it was time for me to move on. That was when I deleted it. I have a copy of the post somewhere and will try to locate it. If I can find it, I'll re-post the part about my brother.  :)
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Dagi

« Reply #835 on: July 13, 2007, 09:17:31 am »
Quote from: David
I am also Creole French and English; with a tiny bit of African American, Romanian and Choctaw too! My grandma always told me I was a "Dukes mixture" whatever that means!!  ???

Hey David!

Well, whatever she meant, it is obviously a very sexy mixture  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:!

And you speak Lakota! I´m impressed! Isn´t that a completely different system of languages? Like chinese?

Dagi

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #836 on: July 13, 2007, 02:35:52 pm »
When I first came to BetterMost, last November, Kelda, I wrote a little Intro about myself here at this thread. I was very touched that Melissa had remembered what I wrote about my brother. I have since deleted that post. Not sure why I deleted it. I was very emotional back then, suffering badly from Acute Post-BBM Stress Disorder. With the assistance of the sweet, loving folks here at BetterMost, I have done a great deal of healing since then, and  I guess I felt it was time for me to move on. That was when I deleted it. I have a copy of the post somewhere and will try to locate it. If I can find it, I'll re-post the part about my brother.  :)

:)  :)

[[[Kerry]]]  :-*  :-*

Now I feel like crying! That is so sweet!  :)
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

mvansand76

« Reply #837 on: July 13, 2007, 02:40:00 pm »
:)  :)

[[[Kerry]]]  :-*  :-*

Now I feel like crying! That is so sweet!  :)

I know, it made me cry too!  :'( But also happy in a way... :)

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #838 on: July 13, 2007, 03:27:41 pm »

Kerry, no need to report - you've moved and thats a good thing... you'll need to write about something else as beautifully for me instead!

We love you lots and you brighten up Bettermost for us so much too.  :-*
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #839 on: July 14, 2007, 03:29:20 am »

Sorry if I made you guys cry (Kerry too fights back the tears). 

:-*[[[David]]] :-*       :-*[[[Melissa]]] :-*       :-*[[[Kelda]]] :-*

It's sometimes good to cry.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν