Author Topic: <-- Introduce Yourself -->  (Read 859349 times)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
Re: <-- Introduce Yourself -->
« Reply #420 on: October 08, 2006, 04:47:56 pm »
Yes. I'm glad you are all here too! I haven't been checking this thread as often as I should.

Welcome to the neighborhood!  :D

Phoenix, you may want to check out the "Safe Haven" forum here on Bettermost. There are all kinds of topics posted there you might be interested in, and of course you are always welcome to start your own thread if you want to.   :)

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Wreeah

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #421 on: October 10, 2006, 05:08:44 pm »
Hello...
Well, I suppose if I'm going to start posting here, I should introduce myself.
My name is Phil, and I'm a 37 (soon to be 38) year old gay male.
I currently live in Mississauga Ontario Canada - which is about a 20 minute drive west of Toronto.
I first saw Brokeback Mountain alone on New Years eve 2005/6...   My friends took off, and I had nothing to do.   I was miserable, and I had been dying for a free night off work and excuse to see it.
I loved it... and as most people know, I NEVER cry at movies... ever...  and this one left me waking out of the theater with a serious lump in my throat.  I had to run to the washroom because I thought I was going to throw up...  (almost like poor Ennis)

Anyhow... I've found it frustrating ever since, as everyone else I've talked to doesn't seem to like this movie.  So, I tend to hold it as something personal to me.
Message boards are the only place I seem to find any other appreciation for the film.  (I was on IMDB for a while, but it drove me crazy)

As for the nick name I chose - Wreeah -  it's a character in a comic book I've been been writing and illustrating for some time.
I used to continually go by the name 'Kaijuman' (and still occasionally do) but it was getting old, and I was trying to loose some people who were trying to contact me.
(Long story)

I hope to visit here more often.  Seems like a friendly atmosphere.
Peace eh!  :-*
« Last Edit: October 10, 2006, 08:19:54 pm by Wreeah »
It could be like this... just like this...  always.

moremojo

« Reply #422 on: October 10, 2006, 05:22:12 pm »
Hello, Phil, and welcome to BetterMost. This really is a great site, so if you're a fan of Brokeback Mountain, you're sure to find much to like here.

I know at least one of our members is in Toronto, and we have quite a few folks in Canada. I remember another fellow in Toronto from the IMDb board, but I'm not sure if he ever migrated here.

I know what you mean, though, about feeling alone or isolated sometimes in your BBM enthusiasm. I know lots of people through these online resources who have been touched as deeply as I have by this remarkable film, but have only had contact with two people in my home city who I would really describe as fans. I know there must be others here, but I haven't met them. Thank goodness for the Internet, eh? I can't imagine what the BBM experience would have been like if I had had no one else who understood what I was feeling.

Again, welcome, Phil, and welcome all, to our online BBM home (to which I like to affectionately refer as "the bean site"). It is always gratifying to see more people join in this amazing journey we are all experiencing (ain't no reins on this one!).

:D
Scott
« Last Edit: February 26, 2008, 04:56:59 pm by moremojo »

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #423 on: October 10, 2006, 06:25:43 pm »
Yes indeed Phil - Beat you to it by 2 days - Saw BBM on the 29th of december, and though my reaction may not have been as severe as yours, I did go back to the theatre about 10 times before I got a pirated internet copy (about 2 - 3 weeks before the DVD release).

I've been quite outspoken to my co-workers about my love for the movie, and most of them (eventually) got to see the movie, their reaction has been quite varied - though no one disrespected my strong reaction to the movie. They however got tired of all the small details that I would bring up, either from reading them on IMDb, seeing it myself in the movie, or, later from the wonderful posts here at BetterMost. One thing for sure unlike that other board, things here don't get deleted for no reason whatsoever!

So, Phill WELCOME to BetterMost - a place where lovers of BBM can STILL express their thoughts, and be welcomed for them. You'll find plenty of areas here to satisfy your (re)discovery of the miracle that was Brokeback Mountain.

BTW, I think Scott meant me, when he said he knew of one other Torontonian at BetterMost, and I was one of the first 10 people to sign up as a member! Then there are others from the Southern Ontario Region - So no, you're not alone (anymore)

Bienvenue

Roland
2015 - Toronto: Pan Am Games
2015 - Edmonton, Montréal, Ottawa, Vancouver, Winnipeg: Woman's World Cup of Soccer

Offline Wreeah

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #424 on: October 10, 2006, 08:38:04 pm »
Hey, thanks everyone for the welcom! 
:)

my reaction may not have been as severe as yours,
That's what was so unusual for me.  I've sort of 'studied' film for a long time as a bit of a hobby, and I can make that separation between film and reality.  The only film I ever 'cried' at was the original Charlottes Web when I was 7.
So for that film to hit me like that... well... it was just so... bizarre.
(I still didn't cry tho... came close... but I didn't! - LOL)

I think part of it was just an amalgamation of things happening in my life all at once and then the ending just sort of... hitting me.
I suppose part of it, is that I'm the age these characters are by the end of the film, and I'm still waiting for my  'Brokeback Mountain'... sorta speak.

Funny thing was, I only went back once to see it in the theater (with a friend)... then I didn't see it again until the DVD release.
I think part of the reason I didn't see it again was because of my odd work schedule.  The other reason, ... I think honestly, the affect it had on me scared me.
But I've seen it on DVD now countless times.

AS for IMDB... I've left the board now.  For the very reason you mentioned.  I recently had a post deleted with no explanation.  I still have no idea what was wrong with it.  So, that was the end of that.  I still visit other boards on IMDB, just not the BBM board now.

So Roland... you're from Toronto?  Mind if I ask what part?
I don't know Toronto all that well, but now I do get in about once a week or so (just started taking private training sessions in Apple Computers)

It's great to get into some discussions here about the film, and I hope this keeps up for a while.   I regret not getting involved here sooner.

Thanks again all!  Great ti be here!
It could be like this... just like this...  always.

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #425 on: October 10, 2006, 09:47:34 pm »
So Roland... you're from Toronto?  Mind if I ask what part?

Not at all - 401 & 400 - well actually, some 5 km south west of there.

But I go out to the gay neighbourhood on Tuesdays - to play pool - I've been a member of the Pool Bar League for over 20 years!
2015 - Toronto: Pan Am Games
2015 - Edmonton, Montréal, Ottawa, Vancouver, Winnipeg: Woman's World Cup of Soccer

injest

« Reply #426 on: October 11, 2006, 08:09:38 am »
Not at all - 401 & 400 - well actually, some 5 km south west of there.

But I go out to the gay neighbourhood on Tuesdays - to play pool - I've been a member of the Pool Bar League for over 20 years!

yeah...uh huh...pool!!

is that what they are calling it these days??!

::) ::) 8)

Offline synne

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #427 on: October 11, 2006, 10:38:32 pm »
Hello...
Well, I suppose if I'm going to start posting here, I should introduce myself.
My name is Phil, and I'm a 37 (soon to be 38) year old gay male.
I currently live in Mississauga Ontario Canada - which is about a 20 minute drive west of Toronto.
I first saw Brokeback Mountain alone on New Years eve 2005/6...   My friends took off, and I had nothing to do.   I was miserable, and I had been dying for a free night off work and excuse to see it.
I loved it... and as most people know, I NEVER cry at movies... ever...  and this one left me waking out of the theater with a serious lump in my throat.  I had to run to the washroom because I thought I was going to throw up...  (almost like poor Ennis)

Anyhow... I've found it frustrating ever since, as everyone else I've talked to doesn't seem to like this movie.  So, I tend to hold it as something personal to me.
Message boards are the only place I seem to find any other appreciation for the film.  (I was on IMDB for a while, but it drove me crazy)

As for the nick name I chose - Wreeah -  it's a character in a comic book I've been been writing and illustrating for some time.
I used to continually go by the name 'Kaijuman' (and still occasionally do) but it was getting old, and I was trying to loose some people who were trying to contact me.
(Long story)

I hope to visit here more often.  Seems like a friendly atmosphere.graphically 
Peace eh!  :-*

Hello to Mississauga!

I was just lurking around and suddenly finding somebody from town which was my first home in Canada. I lived in Mississauga more than 2 years and all my friends and social life is actually there.
The fair inspiration for me to see BBM was "our" two boys/man from next door – the living examples of movie happy ending, with ex-wives and kids but finally together.
I was in absolute awe (in positive way) of their relationship as well as of the movie.
The other thing about the movie which caught my attention - thanks A. Lee it’s very, very almost to details graphically made.

I’m happy to see “ neighbor” here.

Offline dot-matrix

• www.maleimagegallery.com ~Come Join Us~
« Reply #428 on: October 15, 2006, 06:54:38 pm »
Name is Dottie, I'm 45 never married straight female.  I live in the US.  I don't like sharing too much personal info on the internet so that's about all I have to say on that.  I have an old friend who use to post here and said I would like it so here I am.
Life is not a dress rehearsal

Offline RebelWithASmile

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Love was the word that left my lips
« Reply #429 on: October 15, 2006, 07:09:50 pm »
Name is Dottie, I'm 45 never married straight female.  I live in the US.  I don't like sharing too much personal info on the internet so that's about all I have to say on that.  I have an old friend who use to post here and said I would like it so here I am.

Hello. I'm fairly new here as well. This place is nice.

I love my crush  ;)
"He was very afraid of being hurt. He was afraid of opening up in case it was turned around and used against him."

Heaven holds a sense of wonder

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0VVoScBd4k