Author Topic: <-- Introduce Yourself -->  (Read 858745 times)

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
Re: <-- Introduce Yourself -->
« Reply #580 on: January 09, 2007, 11:19:12 pm »
Yep - stick a fork in 'em - they're done.

Exactly! They couldn't organize a piss-up in a brewery!  ::) Wouldn't recognize high art if they fell over it! Despicable bastards! You can tell I'm still  carrying a lot of unresolved anger about this!!!   >:( Don't get me started! Oops, too late!!!  :-\
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #581 on: January 09, 2007, 11:31:46 pm »
I'm glad you like it :D. I got it from an austere but great film from 1964 called Gertrud; this was the final work of the great Danish director Carl Theodor Dreyer. You might be interested to read this post I wrote last May 15th on this film, and how its themes relate to those of BBM:

http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php/topic,1520.msg26919.html#msg26919

Wow! You write beautifully! This especially brought a lump to my throat:

"Gertrud resembles Ennis in that both characters ultimately recognize the all-encompassing importance of Love. The characters are significantly different in that Gertrud is as much in love with an idea as with any human being she actually knew, while Ennis is transfixed by his enduring memory of one very special soul. Gertrud is also a strangely static character, always hanging on to the same ideal from youth into old age, while Ennis is seen to evolve from a timid, broken youth barely conscious of his own desires to a man who, despite the ravages of his outer circumstances, cherishes the inner knowledge of the precious gift that another so tenderly lavished upon him. He knows what he is, and what he had with Jack. In his inarticulate manner, he might well concur with Gertrud that Love is indeed All."
 :'(
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline skye28

• Don't Say Much
Everything reminds me of Brokeback!
« Reply #582 on: January 11, 2007, 08:57:40 am »
Hi everybody,

Thanks for the words of welcome. We have snow here in Western  Pa and of course it reminded me of the movie (which everything does now). Thinking about watching again tomorrow night. Anyway, hope everyone is doing well, have a good day today.
Some say the world is getting too small, I say with kindness there's room for us all. Our world is always changing, everyday's a surprise. Love can open up your eyes in our world.
When night lays sad upon you go watch a laughing sunrise. Love can open up your eyes in our world.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #583 on: January 11, 2007, 09:07:13 am »
You and me both, brother (or sister)! I had to laugh as I was standing at Devil's Tower this past weekend, because the sight of that mammoth volcanic uprising, so tawny bathed in flickering light, reminded me so much of Ennis, while the plain stretched out before it bathed in grey-blue haze reminded me so much of Jack in that scene on the mountain that followed Tent Scene 1.

Welcome to our crazy happy bunch.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Ladyeve

• Don't Say Much
« Reply #584 on: January 27, 2007, 09:08:54 pm »
Hi,

I live in NYC.  I hope I don't seem silly, or asking a lot of goofy questions,  I just watched BBM , alone, because my boyfriend absolutely refused to watch it with me, (something to consider before I take the plunge, not open minded),    It was like asking him to drink draino or something.   Well anyway, After watching it twice,  I had so many questions, thoughts, feelings,  there are things I want know, and talk to people who are also interested in this topic.   the  struggle between love, fear,  acceptance, and need.  WoW this film opens up a range of emotions that touches us one way or the other in whatever relationship we have.  So here I am a little late in the game. 

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #585 on: January 27, 2007, 09:21:12 pm »
It's never too late, Ladyeve.  And don't be shy about asking us questions here.  Many of us are more than happy to reiterate our findings about this beautiful film.

I watched it for my 24th time last night, and as I said in another thread, damned if I didn't find something new I'd never seen/thought about before.

It never gets old.  I've managed to make myself sick of movies I've loved in the past by watching them over and over again in short succession.  The most I ever got to before was 11 (5 in the theater and 6 on DVD) until that happened.  I am not sick of this one yet.  It's looking like I'm never going to be.  But I do try to space out my viewings a bit, now, so as to keep it somewhat fresh.

So ask away!

And make yourself at home.  It's very comfy and cozy here.

I'm in Florida, by the way.  Nice to know you, Lady Eve.
No more beans!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #586 on: January 28, 2007, 11:06:59 am »
Hi,

I live in NYC.  I hope I don't seem silly, or asking a lot of goofy questions,  I just watched BBM , alone, because my boyfriend absolutely refused to watch it with me, (something to consider before I take the plunge, not open minded),    It was like asking him to drink draino or something.   Well anyway, After watching it twice,  I had so many questions, thoughts, feelings,  there are things I want know, and talk to people who are also interested in this topic.   the  struggle between love, fear,  acceptance, and need.  WoW this film opens up a range of emotions that touches us one way or the other in whatever relationship we have.  So here I am a little late in the game. 

I feel for you, Ladyeve. My husband STILL refuses to watch the movie and it's been almost a year!! But I have made some progress--last nite he went with me to a party where he met many of my Brokie friends and now, hopefully, he won't think I'm hanging out with a large group of axe murderers!

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #587 on: January 28, 2007, 11:39:04 am »
I'm a teacher in a catholic school - they all know I'm a brokie (well they heard me talkin bout it often 'nough)

Well this past Wednesday, the superintendent was visitin our school & (we've been aquainted fer 18 years) she asked what was new! I answered that I was a brokie! The staff - sittin around the lunchroom tables, collectively raised their eyes in their sockets! The superintendent asked what I was talkin 'bout - was pretty funny really. Mostly the staff helped explain that the term comes from a combination a Brokeback Mountain & trekky

The fact that I live in Canada & that I'm just a little over a year away from retirement allows me ta be more open - though nothing about my sexual orientation is ever mentioned.

Had an obligation shortly thereafter - so I didn't persue that conversation too far (had other complaints ta bring up too - while I had her attention)

Not everyone on staff has seen the movie, but many have (including about half the male personnel) with varyin degrees a reactions - I'm the only brokie though
2015 - Toronto: Pan Am Games
2015 - Edmonton, Montréal, Ottawa, Vancouver, Winnipeg: Woman's World Cup of Soccer

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #588 on: January 28, 2007, 11:41:06 am »
Hi,

Hey Ladyeve,

I know exactly how you feel, I came here late, I first saw BBM about six weeks ago and I haven't stopped thinking of it and I only been here at BetterMost a few weeks.  I understand exactly how you feel about the questions and  wanting  and needing to talk more.  

Welcome!!!

(P.S.  We're neighbors!!!!)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #589 on: January 31, 2007, 12:25:31 am »
Hey, Ladyeve, have you seen the movie The Lady Eve with Barbara Stanwyck??