Author Topic: <-- Introduce Yourself -->  (Read 858911 times)

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
Re: <-- Introduce Yourself -->
« Reply #730 on: June 11, 2007, 09:42:03 pm »
I know! Good thing it is free....I would be MAD if I had paid for that mess!

LOL!

wonder what it would come up with if I ran that back thru and changed it back to French??

Don't really care ta know. Sound babel-y enough as is!
2015 - Toronto: Pan Am Games
2015 - Edmonton, Montréal, Ottawa, Vancouver, Winnipeg: Woman's World Cup of Soccer

injest

« Reply #731 on: June 11, 2007, 09:46:45 pm »
Hey John John

On m'a demandé de vous souhaiter au bon bienvenue chez nous. Faites comme si vous étiez chez vous. Tu veux sûrement une tasse café n'est-ce pas? ... un morceau de gâteau aux cerises?  ;D

ok here is the back to French translation..

On m'a demandé de vous souhaiter avec bon la bienvenue sur nos lieux. Fait comme si vous étiez sur vos lieux. Vous voulez n'est pas sûrement un café de tasse ? ... un morceau de gâteau aux cerises ?

not the same!! don't know what it says but not the same I can tell...

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #732 on: June 11, 2007, 10:00:20 pm »
ok here is the back to French translation..

On m'a demandé de vous souhaiter avec bon la bienvenue sur nos lieux. Fait comme si vous étiez sur vos lieux. Vous voulez n'est pas sûrement un café de tasse ? ... un morceau de gâteau aux cerises ?

not the same!! don't know what it says but not the same I can tell...

Fist two sentences still make sense (except fer the typo on my part - shoulda been "un" instead a "au"). First half a the rest is mangled beyond recognition.
2015 - Edmonton, Montréal, Ottawa, Vancouver, Winnipeg: Woman's World Cup of Soccer

injest

« Reply #733 on: June 11, 2007, 10:05:08 pm »
funny thing is...if you run it thru four or five times the English gets better! LOL!!!

Offline John John

• Don't Say Much
« Reply #734 on: June 12, 2007, 10:25:39 am »
Hey John John

On m'a demandé de vous souhaiter au bon bienvenue chez nous. Faites comme si vous étiez chez vous. Tu veux sûrement une tasse café n'est-ce pas? ... un morceau de gâteau aux cerises?  ;D

Good try Sheriff!!!
It's truly sweet of you to greet me in French!!! I really apreciate it.

One of the  errors you made is the usual one, those goddammed feminine or masculine words!!
So: On m'a demandé de vous souhaiter la bienvenue chez nous. 'Welcome' is feminine in french....if you can believe that!!!

Here's how the whole thing should go;
On m'a demandé de vous souhaiter la bienvenue chez nous. Faites comme chez vous. Vous voulez un café?
Un morceau de gâteau aux cerises?

By the way I'd love a cup, I'll have the cake later, I just had breakfast!!

Glad to be here!

Offline John John

• Don't Say Much
« Reply #735 on: June 12, 2007, 10:32:59 am »
Does that mean you speak with a french accent!   I lurve the french accent!!  Everyone's so friendly around here, I'm sure you'll settle in as quickly as I have!  Nice to see you here John John!

Susie xox 8)

I'm sorry to disappoint you Susiebell, I am told I barely have one. But I could fake one just for you!!!! ;D

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #736 on: June 12, 2007, 10:59:51 am »
Un morceau de gâteau aux cerises?

By the way I'd love a cup, I'll have the cake later, I just had breakfast!!

Glad to be here!

How do you say, "I cain't take no cake just now?"
 ;D
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Rayn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • I'm also on FaceBook under Rayn Roberts
« Reply #737 on: June 12, 2007, 12:13:03 pm »
I never did this, but since I'm thinking I might go on the Pilgrimage, I will now.   

I teach English in S. Korea, have for years.  It's an exotic life, but has drawbacks, like any.  Too far from home, but it's very steady work, no shortage of good work.  I work only 25 hour or less, have a lot of time to write, which is a passion of mine.  You'll find a lot that I've written on this site and elsewhere too.  I love the outdoors, hiking with friends, traveling, poetry, music, strong coffee, good food, wine, good health.  I try to live a life that allows me to have an clear mind and an open heart.  These days, it's not always easy, but I manage ok.  So, I'm like most everyone, but I live in Asia, which isn't like too many.   

There's a lot of who I am, and what I do.  Nice to meet you.   :)
Rayn

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #738 on: June 12, 2007, 12:15:20 pm »
How do you say, "I cain't take no cake just now?"
 ;D

'Je n'peux pas en prendre pour l'intant!'

Et John John - tu as raison, mais je ne suis qu'un pauvre franco-ontarien qui a reçu toute son instruction dans les écoles franco-onatiennes. Je n'ai jamais habiter ailleur qu'en Ontario. Mon français est comme il est, avec toutes ses qualités et toutes ses défauts. Mais c'est quand même un plaisir pour moi de communiquer en français (malgré mes erreurs) parce que j'y crois (à ma langue).

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #739 on: June 12, 2007, 04:33:59 pm »
I never did this, but since I'm thinking I might go on the Pilgrimage, I will now.   

I teach English in S. Korea, have for years.  It's an exotic life, but has drawbacks, like any.  Too far from home, but it's very steady work, no shortage of good work.  I work only 25 hour or less, have a lot of time to write, which is a passion of mine.  You'll find a lot that I've written on this site and elsewhere too.  I love the outdoors, hiking with friends, traveling, poetry, music, strong coffee, good food, wine, good health.  I try to live a life that allows me to have an clear mind and an open heart.  These days, it's not always easy, but I manage ok.  So, I'm like most everyone, but I live in Asia, which isn't like too many.   

There's a lot of who I am, and what I do.  Nice to meet you.   :)
Rayn

Nice to meet you, too, Rayn!  Thanks for giving us your background.   Along with our Aussies, you're the farthest Brokie away from Wyoming we have, I think.  I hope it all works out that you can be with us in Alberta.  I look forward to hiking with you.  8)
Ich bin ein Brokie...