Author Topic: <-- Introduce Yourself -->  (Read 858842 times)

Offline Ally-at-BetterMost

• Jr. Ranch Hand
  • Don't be afraid of what your mind conceives
Re: <-- Introduce Yourself -->
« Reply #820 on: July 12, 2007, 04:21:51 am »
Wow you spoke Dutch as a kid!  :o ;D

Are you of Dutch descent, David?
Shadows and Taaaallll Trees
Another Time Another Place
I Will Follow

mvansand76

« Reply #821 on: July 12, 2007, 06:26:26 am »

I will answer that question for him, cause David's asleep (at least he should be!!! >:(  ;)), yes, he is of Dutch descent (and English, native-American, French among others). His grandpa taught him Dutch!  :D He always tells me he has forgotten nearly everything of it, but when I write Dutch to him, he always understands a lot!

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #822 on: July 12, 2007, 09:12:46 am »
I will answer that question for him, cause David's asleep (at least he should be!!! >:(  ;)), yes, he is of Dutch descent (and English, native-American, French among others). His grandpa taught him Dutch!  :D He always tells me he has forgotten nearly everything of it, but when I write Dutch to him, he always understands a lot!

I can vouch for that, Melissa. I have witnessed David chatting with you in Dutch. He is also fluent in Latoka Sioux. And though I know little about that ancient language, from the quotes I have read when David has posted them, it sounds like a very beautiful language, indeed. Me? I struggle to make myself understood in English, alone! I admire David's communication skills. He is a true wordsmith and a great communicator. Don't mean to embarrass you, David. That's just the truth, as I see it.  :D
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

mvansand76

« Reply #823 on: July 12, 2007, 09:34:47 am »
I can vouch for that, Melissa. I have witnessed David chatting with you in Dutch. He is also fluent in Latoka Sioux. And though I know little about that ancient language, from the quotes I have read when David has posted them, it sounds like a very beautiful language, indeed. Me? I struggle to make myself understood in English, alone! I admire David's communication skills. He is a true wordsmith and a great communicator. Don't mean to embarrass you, David. That's just the truth, as I see it.  :D

Don't say that! Your English language skills are excellent! I remember you telling us about your brother on this very same thread when you only just joined us, and the way you wrote that brought tears to my eyes!

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #824 on: July 12, 2007, 09:55:09 am »
Don't say that! Your English language skills are excellent! I remember you telling us about your brother on this very same thread when you only just joined us, and the way you wrote that brought tears to my eyes!

Ah, now, you see, when I feel passionately about something, I somehow find the words, I guess. And I'll always dearly love my darling brother. Thank ya kindly for your sweet words, Melissa.  :)
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

mvansand76

« Reply #825 on: July 12, 2007, 10:38:42 am »
Ah, now, you see, when I feel passionately about something, I somehow find the words, I guess. And I'll always dearly love my darling brother. Thank ya kindly for your sweet words, Melissa.  :)

Will you write it all down someday? Or have you done that already? I was gutted by it, I can tell how much you loved your brother...

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #826 on: July 12, 2007, 08:00:10 pm »

Melissa and Kerry, you both are so cute and sweet!!!  :-*  :-*

[[[Melissa]]]

[[[Kerry]]]

Hi Ally!!

What Melissa said is exactly correct! I am Dutch! About 25% Dutch; maybe a little more.  My father's side of the family is from Gelderland and Noord Brabant, mostly from the cities of Arnhem, Nijmegen and Eindhoven. My dad also told me we have some family members in Zuid Holland and Zeeland. My Dutch grandfather taught me and my sister Dutch when we were very young. We sometimes spoke Dutch in the house (ESPECIALLY when grandpa was visiting) and my sister and I would sometimes speak Dutch with each other just for fun. I remember going downtown sometimes and speaking Dutch with my sister. People would walk slowly past us listening to us talk with confused looks on their faces! haha! It was fun!  :D

Once grandpa passed away we stopped speaking Dutch. I think we did it out of grief, but now I think it was quite an injustice to him and his memory. I met an exchange student from Rotterdam when I was 15, and for a year I found myself speaking Dutch again. But now it's been 30 years and I only remember tiny remnants of the language. It's a terrible shame.

Grandpa taught me many things about the Netherlands, the people and the culture. He taught me to see the world from a European perspective rather than only an American one. I've always been grateful to him for that. And even though I have forgotten much of the language, my love of the Netherlands, it's people and it's culture is still very strong and will remain close to my heart until the day I die.

And as Melissa pointed out, I am also Lakota Sioux. Again, about 25%. Just like my Grandpa, my mother also taught me many things about my Lakota heritage. I am a member of the Sioux Nation, and I also belong to a local Native American group here in Indianapolis. I am currently trying to learn the Lakota language, and it's a very difficult language to learn. I am not very good at learning languages. There aren't any accepted spellings of Lakota words and this make learning the language even more difficult. For example, the word "wash'te" means "good or greetings" (it means both) but it can be spelled "wash'te", "washte", "waste", "was'te", etc. There is no correct spelling. This is true of ALL Lakota words. We spell the words based on the sound of the word, so there are as many different spellings as there are pronunciations and dialects. Pretty confusing, isn't it??  :D

I am also Creole French and English; with a tiny bit of African American, Romanian and Choctaw too! My grandma always told me I was a "Dukes mixture" whatever that means!!  ???

Did I read you live in the Netherlands Ally? What part of the country do you live in?

I hope you are enjoying BetterMost Ally! We sure are glad you decided to join us here!!  :D

Kerry, I think you write beautifully!!!  :D

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #827 on: July 12, 2007, 08:24:36 pm »
WOW David, what a fascinating family tree you must have!

Let's see, my mum and dad were born in Derby, all four grandparents were born in Derby, all eight great grandparents were born in Derby ... I'm a true Derbyshire lass! 

Susie

My English side of the family came from the Southhampton and Bristol area. The next time Alex is here he's going to start teaching me about my English heritage! I can't wait!! I know some things about it, but not nearly as much as I would like. England is a country with a very rich and extensive culture and history, and I'd like to know a lot more about it.  :D

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #828 on: July 12, 2007, 09:05:47 pm »
Aww Susie! You're cute!!  :D

And where do you find all these great pictures and cartoons? I love them!!!  :D

I swear. You and Dottie! You both always animate your posts. It's very cool!  8)  8)

:D  :D

Yeah, there's a lot of history and culture in England; well, the whole of Great Britain actually. I think it's very interesting.

Thanks Susie!!  :-*

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #829 on: July 13, 2007, 12:05:26 am »
My father's side of the family is from Gelderland and Noord Brabant, mostly from the cities of Arnhem, Nijmegen and Eindhoven.

Gosh, it is, indeed, such a small world. I'm not proud to confess that my knowledge of the Netherlands is not vast. And what I do know mainly comes as a consequence of my interest in art. As a little nipper, I was besotted by Vincent Van Gogh and made it my business to find out as much about him as I could. Most of the knowledge that came from my adolescent obsession has subsequently faded from my memory. However, having said that, when you mentioned Noord Brabant and Arnhem, David, my ears pricked-up big time. Correct me if I'm wrong, Melissa, but aren't both of those locations iconic within the Van Gogh canon? David, I wonder if you've got any Van Gogh blood in those multicultural veins of yours lol!  I am impressed!  :D
γνῶθι σεαυτόν