Author Topic: <-- Introduce Yourself -->  (Read 859033 times)

mvansand76

Re: <-- Introduce Yourself -->
« Reply #870 on: August 09, 2007, 06:08:14 am »
I saw a remark about Bettermost on the Brokeback Mountain board on the Internet Movie Database and came over to check it out.  Seems to be a very nice place you have here.

It sure is, and I hope you have a great time here, just let any of us know if you have any questions!

:)

Offline ptannen

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #871 on: August 13, 2007, 12:25:01 am »
Mike -

I'm so glad that your wife Chris sat you down and forced you to watch BBM with her, that you learned to appreciate the movie, and came on the Alberta Pilgrimage!  I really emjoyd spending time with you and Chris and gettin to know you both.  :) 

Everyone on the BBM trips I'm been on has always me feel comfortable, too! It's great that you want to continue your BBM friendships through this forum - so please post away!

Pete
Is there anything interesting up there in heaven?

Offline Dobie1018

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
« Reply #872 on: August 25, 2007, 10:18:11 pm »
Hello everyone,  I just joined the community last week from IMDB.  I've heard about this community at IMDB - only good things!  I have visited here several times, but being comfortable  at IMDB, was hesitant about joining here.  It seems quite big and overwhelming at first.  There's so much to see and explore over here.  Hey tampatalon & dev - I also live in Florida - central, on the east coast.  Been here just about 20 years.  I'm originally from Connecticut, and moved here after being divorced.  Twenty years ago the real estate here in central Florida was a lot more affordable than it is now, and the winter weather here is well worth having to go through these hot summers to get to it!

I am female, 50ish, hetero, and first saw the film in April, 2006.  I was stunned when I first saw it in the theater.  It really has affected me over the past year and not a day goes by when I don't think of Ennis and Jack.  I'll tell you what, at the reunion kiss, there were people in the audience who actually gasped at the intensity of that hug and kiss.  I've never heard that before at a theater when 2 people kissed on film. 

I am hoping to be able to meet residents here who can understand how I feel about this movie.  I will be driving to work or somewhere, and just out of the blue I will think of Ennis and Jack, of how passionately and desperately they love each other, and the hopelessness of their situation, and my eyes start to tear up.  It happens every so often; sometimes while I'm driving, while I'm at work, sometimes doing gardening, or some mundane task.  I'm glad I haven't yet had to explain to friends why I am suddenly all teary-eyed.  There is no one that I personally know who feels about this movie the way I do, and I am very happy to be here to meet you all and discuss and comment on this masterpiece of a movie!   Some people at work saw it when it came out last year and one of their comments was that it was a very strange movie.  I must admit I didn't "get it" until I watched it a number of times.  There's so much to notice and understand about the film the more you watch it. 

I'm glad to be here and am looking forward to meeting everyone!

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #873 on: August 25, 2007, 10:36:44 pm »
Hi, Dobie!  I'm on the east coast of Florida, too - Boca Raton.  Been here about 14 years - moved down from Ohio, to which I had moved from western New York six years before.  Sometimes I still marvel that I have lived here of all places longer than I've ever lived anywhere else.

Your Brokeback story is basically mine, too.  It took many moons to get past those spontaneous crying jags.  I'm lucky in that a couple of co-workers who love movies and watch pretty much everything out there really loved and appreciated the film - enough to see it two or three times, but not to the point of obsession like me.  It took me about 15 viewings (seven in theaters, the rest on DVD and finally HBO) to figure out precisely why it had moved me so deeply.  I truly believe it has something very personal to say to each of us who find ourselves Brokies.  The people who "don't get it" either can learn nothing about themselves from it or aren't open to what it has to say.

One of my favorite Brokie experiences was after my fifth theater viewing.  I was walking out alone, and there were a couple of different klatsches of older people talking about it on my way out - most very approvingly.  I got on the elevator to go up to where my car was parked in the parking garage, and an older woman who looked as if she had just been taken and shaken got on with me.  She says, "Did you just see 'Brokeback Mountain' too?"  I said, "Yes.  It was my fifth time, actually."  Normally, I wouldn't divulge that to a complete stranger, but something about her told me she and I were on the same page.  She goes, "Oh, I can understand that - I can see myself coming back to watch it again tomorrow very easily."  I told her my name and she told me hers - we shook hands as if we were colleagues (which we were in a way), said our "Nice to knowya"s, and went our separate ways.

I often wish I had given her my card with my phone number on it and said something like, "I hope this doesn't sound weird, but if you ever want to talk about the movie with someone who understands feeling so deeply about it, call me."  It's always the things that we didn't say or didn't do when given the chance that we regret the most, though, isn't it?

So, nice to knowya.  And if you ever want to talk about the movie with someone who understands feeling so deeply about it (and who, well over a year later, hasn't grown the least bit tired of talking about it), you know where to find me.

Barb
No more beans!

Offline Artiste

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #874 on: August 26, 2007, 11:56:13 am »
You guys and gals already know me here as Artiste!! Yes, yes, oui, oui, as I am a real artist painter...
and may I invite you to my next exhibition:
L'AngdonArt, L'AngdonArt!! www.franco.ca/langdonart1

Come to the next exhibition September 11th till September 24th 2007 at the La Galerie Le 1040! (See english below French one please!!)

INVITATION EXPOSITION: Réflexions doubles Peintures L'AngdonArt
Artiste L’AngdonArt revient à La Galerie Le 1040, au 1040, rue Marie-Anne Est, Montréal du 11 au 24 septembre 2007

La galerie d’art pour la 3e année consécutive, La Galerie Le 1040, accueille en ses murs du 11 au 24 septembre 2007, des peintures récentes créées par Artiste L’AngdonArt. Réflexions doubles, exposition qu’il présente au public de Québec, permet l’exploration des multiples facettes du concept de réflexions par ses peintures dynamiques. Par exception que pour cette expostion, la galerie est accessible à chaque jour du 11 septembre de 10 à 22 heures jusqu'à lundi le 24 octobre de 10 à 14 heures.

Les peintures réflexions à la L'AngdonArt, sont comme un casse-tête ou une intrigue à déchiffrer,  traitant de la condition de la Terre et de la condition Humaine. Les réflexions que détaille chaque Å“uvre de l’artiste soulignent donc des reflets ou deux paysages différents par chaque peinture, approche propre à Artiste L'AngdonArt. Mais c'est plus que ceci!!
†
D'habitude, même si il y a une réflexion tempêtueuse, L'AngdonArt accentue aussi une réflexion paisible. Créant des peintures spectaculaires, parfois des paysages panoramiques, L'AngdonArt développe son propre style comme un jeu. Non seulement artistique, mais aussi social (comme L'Occident et L'Orient), intellectuel, terrestre, culturel. Par des images de vraisemblance de la nature et des planètes, L'AngdonArt propose des jeux humains rendus visibles par son imaginaire exprimé sur ses toiles.
†
Artiste L’AngdonArt sera présent à la galerie pour toute la durée de l’exposition, au 1040, rue Marie-Anne-Est (monter la rue Saint-Denis, tourner droite sur Mont-Royal, jusqu'au sens unique Christophe-Colomb et descendre une rue jusqu'au coin Marie-Anne Est). Il vous invite à venir explorer en sa compagnie les récentes compositions artistiques de son nouveau concept pour vous le dévoiler.
Venez découvrir les réflexions L'AngdonArt et deux fois!!
S.V.P., tu mentionnes que tu es sur Bettermost, quand tu me visite à la galerie lors ce temps, ou bien par tes courriels (email): [email protected]

You are welcome to see daily from 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. the recent 2007 L'AngdonArt paintings from September 11th to the September 24th till 3 p.m., at La Galerie Le 1040, at 1040 Marie-Anne Est, Montreal, Quebec, Canada; go up on the Saint-Denis Street, turn right on Mont-Royal Street, till the one way Christophe-Colomb Street turning right till next corner where is the beautiful art gallery at the Marie-Anne Est Street! As L'AngdonArt presents two different landscapes in each painting!! To discover, yes to discover twice or more!! Please mention that you are on Bettermost when you visit me at the gallery or communicate by emails... husg, hug!!

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #875 on: August 26, 2007, 12:42:35 pm »
Hi Artiste!  It's so nice to see you back online!  And congratulations on the exhibition!

:)
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Online Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #876 on: August 26, 2007, 12:50:29 pm »
I second what Amanda said! Welcome back Artiste!! I see you're back with flying colours!!

"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Artiste

« Reply #877 on: August 26, 2007, 03:09:05 pm »
Merci, yes thanks atz75 and Front-Ranger!!

You warm my heart, and twice great, great!!

I do not have much time as am preparing for my next two exhibitions.
Do try to come??

Hugs, hugs!!

Offline Dobie1018

« Reply #878 on: August 26, 2007, 05:54:19 pm »
Hi Ednbarby!  Thanks for the warm welcome!  It is nice to know you!  I enjoyed reading your post.  I only saw the movie in the theater once - it wasn't around all that long.  I love talking on the boards about the movie with others who feel the way I do.   I guess I'll see you around then!

Offline KristinDaBomb

• My Blog
« Reply #879 on: September 09, 2007, 06:13:23 pm »
Hello! I have been roaming around this board for about a month or two and finally created an account. My name is Kristin. I just turned 18 on the 27th of August. I was born in Chicago but have moved around my whole life. I've lived in places such as Colorado, Texas, Kansas, Atlanta, Brunswick, Evanston, Hawaii, and now California. I saw BBM about two months ago (and I received the two disk special edition DVD for my birthday:)) and I fell in love with this movie. Everything about it is beautiful and I feel lucky that I was privileged enough to see this film. I don't think there is anything else I can say to show just how much I love this film, so I will just leave it at this. I can't wait to post more on here, it is a great message board. :]
xoxo

~Kristin~

<3