Author Topic: <-- Introduce Yourself -->  (Read 858772 times)

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Introduce Yourself
« Reply #100 on: April 04, 2006, 08:27:27 am »
Thanks to a conversation with yaadpyar and henrypie, i took the Myers-Birggs test and this is what it said about me. It describes aspects of me better than I can.  It seems very self-absorbed to post it, but here I go:
----------
The Portrait of the Champion Idealist (eNFp)

The Champion Idealists are abstract in thought and speech, cooperative in accomplishing their aims, and informative and extraverted when relating with others. For Champions, nothing occurs which does not have some deep ethical significance, and this, coupled with their uncanny sense of the motivations of others, gives them a talent for seeing life as an exciting drama, pregnant with possibilities for both good and evil. This type is found in only about 3 percent of the general population, but they have great influence because of their extraordinary impact on others. Champions are inclined to go everywhere and look into everything that has to do with the advance of good and the retreat of evil in the world. They can't bear to miss out on what is going on around them; they must experience, first hand, all the significant social events that affect our lives. And then they are eager to relate the stories they've uncovered, hoping to disclose the "truth" of people and issues, and to advocate causes. This strong drive to unveil current events can make them tireless in conversing with others, like fountains that bubble and splash, spilling over their own words to get it all out.

Champions consider intense emotional experiences as being vital to a full life, although they can never quite shake the feeling that a part of themselves is split off, uninvolved in the experience. Thus, while they strive for emotional congruency, they often see themselves in some danger of losing touch with their real feelings, which Champions possess in a wide range and variety. In the same vein, Champions strive toward a kind of spontaneous personal authenticity, and this intention always to "be themselves" is usually communicated nonverbally to others, who find it quite attractive. All too often, however, Champions fall short in their efforts to be authentic, and they tend to heap coals of fire on themselves, berating themselves for the slightest self-conscious role-playing.
-------

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #101 on: April 04, 2006, 08:42:53 am »
That place sounds incredibly beautiful.  Your description really brought it alive for me.  I agree that you certainly have been lucky to live in such a beautiful place.  Do you think that the landscape changed you and your relationship with your Father?  Did your imagination run wild there?

Why, yes, I do think it changed me and my relationship with my father.  I think that if we lived together in his soulless bachelor pad, we'd have had a hell of a lot less to talk about.  Like that beautiful Auden poem referenced here often, that lake was our North, our South, our East and West, our working week and our Sunday rest, our noon, our midnight, our talk, our song...  So many memories...  They used to (probably still do) this thing on the Saturday night of Labor Day Weekend called The Ring of Fire.  It comes from an Iroquois tradition of welcoming the fall harvest by lighting fires around the lake.  The Iroquois would light a bonfire at the peak of the highest hill, then everyone below would light theirs.  We did that every Labor Day Saturday night, with a bonfire on our two beaches, and in later years, with flares around the break wall.  And we'd sit out there in the crisp air, my Dad and stepmom with their highballs and me with my Coke, and watch it all burn.  School would start for me the following Wednesday, but that Saturday always meant that summer was officially over.
No more beans!

Offline YaadPyar

« Reply #102 on: April 04, 2006, 08:49:10 am »
I'll never stop learning about you Angel!

Ray - You are one of the nicest gifts of this experience...!   :-*

:angel:
"Vice, Virtue. It's best not to be too moral. You cheat yourself out of too much life. Aim above morality. If you apply that to life, then you're bound to live life fully." (Harold & Maude - 1971)

Offline Kea

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • "The heart has reasons that reason cannot know." -
« Reply #103 on: April 04, 2006, 10:12:35 am »
Thank you Pete for the lovely welcome....and for understanding.

hugs
Kea
"Within you I lose myself
Without you I find myself
Wanting to be lost again."
-Unknown

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BBM Radio Program Director
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #104 on: April 04, 2006, 10:24:20 pm »
Hello,

Eric here migrating over from IMDB.  That place is a mad house right now. So sad.

I've see it in the theatres 32 times, and I'm just about to watch my DVD.  I will be seeing it more times in the theatre, as much as I can until it's gone.  In San Francisco it's moving to a single screen art deco art house theatre starting Friday!  I can't wait.  :)

Offline montferrat

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • "hunh?!"
« Reply #105 on: April 05, 2006, 03:40:12 am »
Just wanted to say a belated thank you for the warm Welcome from Stripey Peter, BBMGrandma Nancy, Impish, and also extend my warm welcome to Kea and also a hello to Damiano, and hello to Juan!

I've noticed a few of you taking a peek in the chez tremblay board and really would love it if you'd jump right in!  Juan and Lynne have, and can vouch that we don't bite, mostly.

:)

We had a mini upheaval as part of the settling in  process , but seriously, we're nice folks too!

Of course I encourage any tremblay folks to explore and participate in this really wonderful site !

BetterMost rules!

Paul

"hunh?!" ~ Ennis Del Mar

Offline Ray

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Ray Nasty!
« Reply #106 on: April 05, 2006, 05:13:52 am »
I'll never stop learning about you Angel!

Ray - You are one of the nicest gifts of this experience...!   :-*

:angel:

Whoa!  Thankyou my beautiful girl.  You have made me gasp!
~A good general knows when to retreat~

Offline Impish

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #107 on: April 05, 2006, 10:34:39 am »
Montferrat:

Is your avatar a picture of you?  It looks like Jack Johnson...  and if it is, we have something in common, at least in terms of taste in music!  ;D
If you won't pray in my school, I won't think in your church.

Offline luigival

« Reply #108 on: April 05, 2006, 03:31:43 pm »
Hi everybody,
from Luigi, 45 years old male, Italy, and sorry for my introduction being "long overdue", to quote one of our two heroes, and coming almost one week after registering at BetterMost.
I too am a refugee from the BBM and PT IDBM boards, and hope to find more time to spend on these pages to discuss on BBM and life after having seen it.
Those who are familiar with my previous posts at IMDB already know how much I loved this movie. There are so many things it brought me back, good memories and sad ones, regrets for things and truths I didn't have the courage to face and hopes for the future, and overall the need to always be myself and face life coherently.
But BBM also made me discover a great American writer, a great director and two very fine young actors I never heard about before, bringing back my almost forgotten passion for cinema.
I had been a movie buff when I was a teen, then gradually my interests shifted away, and despite still liking going to the movies, I didn't go to theatres more than 5/10 times a year. After BBM (which I saw 7 times since December, that is the most I ever did for any movie, I think)  I have been to the cinema almost on a weekly basis, and at home I spend quite a deal of time searching on Sky for films I lost.
Well, "time to go, cowboys and cowgirls". Thank you for listening.
Luigi
They were two friends of mine

Offline montferrat

• "hunh?!"
« Reply #109 on: April 05, 2006, 04:25:37 pm »
Hi Impish, yep, you caught me, That's Jack johnson!

At least while I'm typing this!

And hello Luigival!
Bienvenuto!
"hunh?!" ~ Ennis Del Mar