Author Topic: <-- Introduce Yourself -->  (Read 858649 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: <-- Introduce Yourself -->
« Reply #1240 on: January 28, 2011, 10:06:09 am »
Her name is Starlit Moon. No, I didn't name her. My choice would something more fitting to her "trying" nature :-)

:laugh:  Still, that's a pretty name for a beautiful horse.  :)

Thanks, and thanks for noticing ... but they're not Field Boots.  The pair in the top photo are Dehner Dress boots, and the pair in the bottom photo are Petrie Dressage boots.  I do have a pair of Dehner Field boots (the ones that Chuck is *supposed* to be breaking in for me!!) ;D  that I recently acquired to use when I ride with my military drill team -- but that's the exception, not the rule as far as my riding goes.  I'm usually out and about in my König or Petrie dressage boots.

Way cool. ... I've always thought dress boots look so classy. I know the Dehner brand, of course, but I didn't know they made dress boots. I've only ever seen their field boots.  I also didn't know there was a type of boot just for Dressage.

Chuckie in a pair of Dehner field boots?  :laugh:  :-X  ;D

(Love you, Chuckie. Mean it!)
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #1241 on: January 28, 2011, 10:29:16 am »
Chuckie in a pair of Dehner field boots?  :laugh:  :-X  ;D

(Love you, Chuckie. Mean it!)

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline zephaniah

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #1242 on: January 28, 2011, 01:53:08 pm »
Her name is Starlit Moon. No, I didn't name her. My choice would something more fitting to her "trying" nature :-)

Hell, never heard of a horse named Judge Judy...

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #1243 on: January 28, 2011, 05:26:32 pm »
Welcome Buck, friend of Chuck!

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline OnlySleeping

• Don't Say Much
« Reply #1244 on: June 10, 2011, 10:31:58 pm »
Hi all! I’m a 27-year-old female here, in a Ph.D. program in Connecticut, and really sorry that I’m so late to the party. I have spent the last two weeks obsessively reading hundreds of posts on this site, and I keep wanting to jump in, but then I realize they were mostly written years ago. How did I miss this film!? I was in India from 2005-2007, and pretty cut off from back home (I’m from the States)…I don’t even remember hearing about the Oscars or reading a single review. Such a fool.

Two weeks ago, Netflix recommended the movie to me, and I was floored. Getting up to get more tissues, I collapsed onto my knees in the bathroom and sobbed uncontrollably for at least 20 minutes.

I was in a relationship with an Indian man for many years, and our relationship in many ways paralleled J&E’s in that it was a passionate, overwhelming love that came out of nowhere but was doomed from the beginning because of cultural nonsense we had internalized. Anyone familiar with the pressures surrounding marriage in Indian culture can probably guess some of the problems we had, a white girl with a very traditional, conservative Indian boy. In the last year we were together, we saw each other for a total of 13 days. Everything about the lake scene hits home. Lying to family, betrayal, needing more time together, wanting to let go but not being able to, believing that your love is destroying you, making you ‘nothing, nowhere.’

I’ve found this debate over whether BBM is a ‘gay’ love story or ‘universal’ love story really interesting, especially Daniel Mendelsohn’s point in the NY Review of Books that Jack and Ennis are different from other star-crossed lovers because they “despise themselves.” I don’t entirely agree with Mendelsohn. Hating how you love is not unique to gay people. My boyfriend hated that he loved me. He despised himself for loving me, thinking that he needed someone else, someone from his culture. Yes, BBM is in many ways a uniquely gay love story, but damn if this film doesn’t represent my relationship better than any heterosexual love I’ve seen before on screen.

Thanks, guys, for creating these boards and posting so many great threads!

Offline Luvlylittlewing

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #1245 on: June 10, 2011, 11:51:20 pm »
Welcome, onlysleeping.  It is never too late to join our family, and I am glad you found us.  I can relate to your situation.  I am an African American female who was married to a gentleman from Pakistan for almost 15 years.  I know what a hard time we would have had if we had actually been in Pakistan, but we met and married over here in the Bay Area.  I won't go into our relationship here; if you would like to know more, send me a PM and I'll be only happy to compare experiences with you.  And I am just as in love with BBM as I was when I first saw it (several times) in December, 2005.  I have been here practically since this site was created.  Again, welcome to Bettermost!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #1246 on: June 11, 2011, 12:14:20 am »
Thanks for posting, onlysleeping. Even though many of the posts originated years ago, some of us are still passionate about Brokeback Mountain and love to talk about it to infinity. I really relate to your words about it being a universal love story. Have you read the book as well?

Oh, and, you'll have a cup of coffee, won't you? Piece a cherry cake?  :-*
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #1247 on: June 11, 2011, 12:18:54 am »
Welcome, OnlySleeping!  Want a cuppa coffee, piece a cherry cake?

Thanks so much for sharing your story.  I hadn't thought about Jack and Ennis's experience translating to a situation like yours, but it certainly makes sense.  You sound like you've got the makings of a true Brokie alright.  Hope you stick around.  :)

Oops, I see Tony-Ranger has already extended the ritual invitation.  You know the right answer anyway, don't you?  ;)
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #1248 on: June 11, 2011, 05:00:35 am »
Welcome, Onlysleeping!

It's wonderful that BBM still has such a powerful impact on people who see it for the first time.
Don't be sorry you're late, be happy you saw it at all.

I'm glad you found us. If you stick around and take part in discussions, I'm sure you'll find new insights and make new friends here.

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #1249 on: June 11, 2011, 05:11:27 pm »

Hey there OnlySleeping!  So glad you found your way to BetterMost!  And, yeah, some of the old, deep conversations here about Brokeback really are so interesting.  It's nice that you've been exploring those old threads... so many amazing insights and lines of debate.

Hope you continue to come by and contribute... it's so great to have a new, enthusiastic Brokie join!  :D

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie