Author Topic: Just Saw Jake in Jarhead (SPOILER)  (Read 10883 times)

Offline Flashframe777

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • autumn auteur
Just Saw Jake in Jarhead (SPOILER)
« on: March 31, 2006, 05:06:19 pm »
I just saw "Jarhead", and by "saw" I mean watched it at 8x speed.  C'mon, I'd never actually watch a movie about war in real time.  Uber-Super-Mega-Ultra Liberal here - what do you expect?

Jake looked extremely fine as a man-o-war.

Peter Saarsgard makes a very pretty corpse.

I give it two "make love-not war" thumbs up!
« Last Edit: March 31, 2006, 05:15:14 pm by Flashframe777 »
"yet he is suffused with a sense of pleasure because Jack Twist was in his dream"

Offline amh

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • C'mere, baby.
Re: Just Saw Jake in Jarhead
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2006, 05:08:16 pm »
Thanks for the review - I have it and am watching it this weekend - can't wait!!!
:-* This ain't no rodeo, cowboy.

Offline littleguitar

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • She was always a lonely child...
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2006, 05:09:51 pm »
Jarhead is one of the best movies of the year, IMO! definitely worth the watch! Jake should have been nominated for that performance
‘cause the truth is, I already give him everythin’ I got to give, more than I ever even knew I had; ‘n it all for him, all of it, him who is my brother, my father, my child, my friend, my lover, my heart, my soul; my Ennis.

-- del Mar Painting, Ch. 48 by b73

Offline Nicole

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Nicole R.
    • MY MySpace Page
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2006, 05:10:16 pm »
Flash - you really should watch it at normal speed!  It's great and not pro-war. 

Anne Marie:  Do you have the collector's edition?  If so, def. check out the feature "Jarhead Diaries" - it's awesome.
   Cowboys do it better

Offline Flashframe777

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • autumn auteur
Re: Just Saw Jake in Jarhead (SPOILER)
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2006, 05:10:33 pm »
Oops, forgot to put SPOILER in the title.  Hope you still get caught by surprise.  Watch it a 8x, and it won't matter.

Hey Nicole, I tried watching it at regular speed for the first 1/2 hour.  It pushed too many buttons...I get fatigued just thinking about loading it into the DVD player again.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2006, 05:12:53 pm by Flashframe777 »
"yet he is suffused with a sense of pleasure because Jack Twist was in his dream"

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2006, 05:14:49 pm »
Jarhead is the #4 Best Film of 2005 and should have been nominated for Oscars.....especially in Jake's case.....but we all know how dumb the AMPAS is so....

Offline amh

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • C'mere, baby.
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2006, 05:16:47 pm »
Anne Marie:  Do you have the collector's edition?  If so, def. check out the feature "Jarhead Diaries" - it's awesome.

No - in fact, it's worse:  I HAVE IT ON VHS!!!!!

I am a cheap-ass and reserved it at the library months ago.  So it came in this week and I saw it wasn't even a DVD!!!  So not only doesn't it have features, but the picture sux (I watched a little last night but ended up on this dang board instead).

So I just decided I'm going to watch it since I have it and get the DVD afterwards.  So thanks for the tip - the collectors edition I will get!

Offline Nicole

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Nicole R.
    • MY MySpace Page
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2006, 05:17:39 pm »
Hey Nicole, I tried watching it at regular speed for the first 1/2 hour.  It pushed too many buttons...I get fatigued just thinking about loading it into the DVD player again.

That's too bad - I loved it.  As a super liberal I totally understand where you're coming from, but as it wasn't a pro-war movie it didn't bother me. 
   Cowboys do it better

Offline Nicole

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Nicole R.
    • MY MySpace Page
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2006, 05:19:17 pm »
No - in fact, it's worse:  I HAVE IT ON VHS!!!!!

LOL!!!!! I didn't even think that they still made VHS tapes for new movies!!
   Cowboys do it better

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2006, 05:20:59 pm »
ROFL......neither did I Nicole....

Offline Flashframe777

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • autumn auteur
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2006, 05:27:06 pm »
Next up...Donnie Darko.

Have a feeling I'm going to love that one.  

Hey, as long as there's no plane crash involved I'm fine with it.  I have an irrational fear of planes crashing into my bedroom.

Can't wait to see Donnie Darko.

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2006, 05:33:20 pm »
Donnie Darko is really good too....

Offline Becky

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • No one can resist the Twist!
    • Myspace site, kinda scary but I like it!
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2006, 05:35:56 pm »
Ohhhhh I do believe I am an expert on this subject! :P I absolutely loved Jarhead, which I was not expecting and was dragged (I say dragged, but I am exagerating; like anyones is going to have to drag me to a Jake film) to see it by my friend who really loves manly war movies. We both loved it: I loved it cause it was so funny and of course cause it has Jake in and my friend liked it cause it is just her kind of film.
Now Donnie Darko......Do you really want to pull at that thread? If I start talking Donnie I will never shut up, seriously I am not joking. A couple of days ago someone mentioned it and I wouldn't shut up for hours! But seriously Jake is brilliant in this, infact it is my second favourite Jake movie ever, and that is saying something.
I hope you enjoy DD, you can talk to me about it any time and I will be willing to talk.
"Look too often at those hills, lie too long beside those rippling rivers, and you may think you are hearing a love song, when actually it is a death song." Larry McMurtry, Brokeback Mountain: Story to Screenplay.

Offline Flashframe777

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • autumn auteur
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2006, 05:38:55 pm »
Thanks BX.  I've come across a lot of people who are passionate about DD.  I think I will watch it over the weekend (in real time). 

Offline amh

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • C'mere, baby.
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2006, 05:42:44 pm »
LOL!!!!! I didn't even think that they still made VHS tapes for new movies!!
I KNOW, that's exactly what I said.

UPDATE:  I rented the DVD instead - and I thought it was great.   A completely underrated film, IMO.  I thought it was enthralling.  And of course Jake was wonderful. 

I enjoyed the extras and the commentary, especially the reporter's interview with Swoff - my GOD how can someone not love Jake?  His answers made me laugh out loud!  At Nicole's suggestion I may well buy the collector's edition. 
« Last Edit: April 01, 2006, 10:53:36 am by amh625 »

Offline Nicole

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Nicole R.
    • MY MySpace Page
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2006, 05:44:09 pm »
Next up...Donnie Darko.

Hey, as long as there's no plane crash involved I'm fine with it.  I have an irrational fear of planes crashing into my bedroom.

LOL!!!!!  Yeah, you should be fine with this movie. 
   Cowboys do it better

Offline sparkle_motion

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Stacey.
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2006, 06:31:42 pm »
Next up...Donnie Darko.

Hey, as long as there's no plane crash involved I'm fine with it.  I have an irrational fear of planes crashing into my bedroom.

As much as I hate to admit this, because he put me on ignore on the IMDb board, but this cracked me up.
...then you ask me about Mexico and tell me you'll kill me for needing somethin' I don't hardly never get.

Offline Flashframe777

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • autumn auteur
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2006, 02:52:41 am »
Trying to watch Jarhead again because everyone spoke so highly of it.  Hating every minute of it.  No handle whatsoever to grab hold.  As Ennis would say, "ain't no reins on this one."   It's homophobic, ridiculously heterocentric, and can't possibly lead to anythiing remotely entertaining for a gay man other than naked Jake.  Somebody please tell me by the end of this movie I will love it.  Five more minutes have passed, and I'm really hating Jamie Foxx in this one.  E&M, E&M, E&M....(empty and meaningless).  Can hardly wait to "rehydrate" with Brokeback Mountain.

vkm91941

« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2006, 02:57:21 am »
You got it Flash.. E&M is the whole point of what they're experiencing!

Offline Flashframe777

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • autumn auteur
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2006, 02:59:45 am »
Yes, but I'd rather be experiencing F&M, F&M, F&M - full and meaningful like BBM.

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2006, 03:04:33 am »
Yes, but I'd rather be experiencing F&M, F&M, F&M - full and meaningful like BBM.

Yes, that's why i don't want to see it, despite the good reviews.

Offline Flashframe777

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • autumn auteur
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2006, 03:17:05 am »
Yeah...loved it in 8x.  Hated it in real time.  That's my final analysis.  Unfortunately the Santa Dance was not enough to redeem this for me.

Offline cmr107

• Call me Courtney
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2006, 03:30:15 am »
I'm having me a Jake-full weekend. I rented The Good Girl, Jarhead, and Moonlight Mile. Would have gotten Donnie Darko, but I remember discussion over regular vs director's cut (both of which they carried), and one of them being awful (director's cut is the bad one, right?), and I didn't want to get the wrong one. Watched The Good Girl tonight. It was odd. I'll probably watch Jarhead tomorrow, but I'm sad to see you didn't like it. I've heard only good things about it.

Offline Flashframe777

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • autumn auteur
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2006, 04:01:18 am »
Pay no attention to my opinion of Jarhead.  I despise war movies, and anything having to do with war, usually no matter the context.  Jarhead really didn't have a chance with me.

Apocalypse Now?  Apocalypse Never.

Offline sparkle_motion

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Stacey.
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2006, 11:27:12 am »
I'm having me a Jake-full weekend. I rented The Good Girl, Jarhead, and Moonlight Mile. Would have gotten Donnie Darko, but I remember discussion over regular vs director's cut (both of which they carried), and one of them being awful (director's cut is the bad one, right?), and I didn't want to get the wrong one. Watched The Good Girl tonight. It was odd. I'll probably watch Jarhead tomorrow, but I'm sad to see you didn't like it. I've heard only good things about it.

I despise war movies, but I liked Jarhead. Of course, it could be because I'm smitten with Jake.
I haven't seen the Director's Cut of Donnie. I haven't heard a single positive thing about it and I don't want it to ruin the movie for me.
I wish I could click on your avatar and make it bigger, it looks hilarious!
...then you ask me about Mexico and tell me you'll kill me for needing somethin' I don't hardly never get.

Offline littleguitar

« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2006, 12:00:29 pm »
the director's cut of donnie is worth watching if you've already seen the original.  But I would definitely start with the original.  The tone of the director's cut is entirely different and I think it loses a lot of it's humor.  I think there are a few extra scenes in the director's cut that are interesting but they really emphasize Donnie's depression... I do like the director's cut but I watched it first and hated it, it wasn't until I saw the original that I fell in love with the movie
‘cause the truth is, I already give him everythin’ I got to give, more than I ever even knew I had; ‘n it all for him, all of it, him who is my brother, my father, my child, my friend, my lover, my heart, my soul; my Ennis.

EnnisDelMar

« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2006, 12:08:03 pm »
Yeah I like the Theatrical Donnie much better than the Director's Cut... he took out the Echo and the Bunnymen song!

Offline littleguitar

« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2006, 12:48:27 pm »
oh I know brandon! that made me really mad! that song was perfect right where it was, it set the tone of the entire movie!

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BBM Radio Program Director
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2006, 01:02:33 am »
Ok, I just watched Jarhead tonight (on the 4th of July appropriately).  All I can say is WOW.  I am speechless.  I kick myself for not seeing this in the theatre before BBM now. 

And I hate to say this, but I think Jake gave a better performance in Jarhead.   (runs and hides)... He's a GREAT ACTOR!    I was blown away by his performance.  It's great acting when you don't see the actor, but you see the character.  In BBM I see Jack, and in Jarhead, I see Swoff.  I don't see "Jake"!

Jarhead... way overlooked last November...

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2006, 02:18:56 am »
Ok, I just watched Jarhead tonight (on the 4th of July appropriately).  All I can say is WOW.  I am speechless.  I kick myself for not seeing this in the theatre before BBM now. 

And I hate to say this, but I think Jake gave a better performance in Jarhead.   (runs and hides)... He's a GREAT ACTOR!    I was blown away by his performance.  It's great acting when you don't see the actor, but you see the character.  In BBM I see Jack, and in Jarhead, I see Swoff.  I don't see "Jake"!

Jarhead... way overlooked last November...

Agreed 100% on all accounts Eric...

Unfortunetly it was seen as more of a political statement rather then a movie and was overlooked big time....

Eh..what do award associations know anyways?

Offline opinionista

« Reply #30 on: July 05, 2006, 07:06:47 am »
I just saw "Jarhead", and by "saw" I mean watched it at 8x speed.  C'mon, I'd never actually watch a movie about war in real time.  Uber-Super-Mega-Ultra Liberal here - what do you expect?

Jake looked extremely fine as a man-o-war.

Peter Saarsgard makes a very pretty corpse.

I give it two "make love-not war" thumbs up!

I loved the movie, yet I felt Sam Mendes was kept on a short leash. He could've said much more. I have the feeling the studio didn't allow him to.
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline David

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #31 on: July 05, 2006, 08:04:34 am »
Warning: Spoilers

I saw JarHead a few weeks ago.   I too had trouble getting into it.     It was a disturbing movie.   Jake, Peter and Jamie all did fine jobs acting.   And yes, I did cry at the end at Peters funeral.   

The Santa dance was funny.  And I never tire of hearing Jake Gyllenhaal say Masterbate.
But the movie left me fealing kind of empty, just like the War it represented. 

oh, and I do like a good war movie.   Sink the Bismark and Midway are two good ones.
So in my opinion, the only good war flicks are WWII ones. 

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #32 on: July 05, 2006, 08:10:57 am »
Have you seen Galipoli or Breaker Morant?  Those are my favorites.  I must have a thing for Aussies.  ;)

And of all the Vietnam War flicks, I think The Deer Hunter is my favorite.  I still can't get that Russian Roulette scene out of my head.  Maybe "favorite" isn't quite the right word...
No more beans!

Offline David

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #33 on: July 05, 2006, 08:26:13 am »
No, I haven't seen any of those Barb.

I  want to add "Kellys Heroes" to my list. 
Where else can you get a movie with:

Clint Eastwood ....
Telly Savalas ....
Don Rickles
Carroll O'Connor .... 
Donald Sutherland .... 
Gavin MacLeod .... 
Stuart Margolin ....
Harry Dean Stanton

and more

Offline littleguitar

« Reply #34 on: July 05, 2006, 09:33:44 am »
Agreed 100% on all accounts Eric...

Unfortunetly it was seen as more of a political statement rather then a movie and was overlooked big time....

Eh..what do award associations know anyways?

I totally agree, I think Jake was amazing in this movie.  He gave a much better performance than even I was expecting, and I'm obsessed with him!  As for it being a political statement, that makes me angry.  I honestly feel this movie was the exact opposite of a political statement (whatever that might be).  I think it worked really hard to stay away from politics and just be and to call it a political statement is, in a way, to misunderstand the movie.  Damn hollywood and their oscars... Jarhead should not have been overlooked  >:(

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "It's nobody's business but ours."
    • "every sort of organized noise"
« Reply #35 on: July 05, 2006, 11:02:51 am »
It cannhot be emphasized too much that the outtakes with swoff abd the interviewer, without the mendes voice=over, are hysterical, right to the pont, and--he says "jack-off," not "masterbate." Abouit 50 times...tells you what the orieinary soldier thinks abiout fighting a dumb war, yes SIR.
"We're each of us alone, to be sure. What can you do but hold your hand out in the dark?" --"Nine Lives," by Ursula K. Le Guin, from The Wind's Twelve Quarters