Author Topic: Just Saw Jake in Jarhead (SPOILER)  (Read 10899 times)

Offline Flashframe777

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • autumn auteur
Re: Just Saw Jake in Jarhead (SPOILER)
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2006, 05:27:06 pm »
Next up...Donnie Darko.

Have a feeling I'm going to love that one.  

Hey, as long as there's no plane crash involved I'm fine with it.  I have an irrational fear of planes crashing into my bedroom.

Can't wait to see Donnie Darko.
"yet he is suffused with a sense of pleasure because Jack Twist was in his dream"

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2006, 05:33:20 pm »
Donnie Darko is really good too....

Offline Becky

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • No one can resist the Twist!
    • Myspace site, kinda scary but I like it!
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2006, 05:35:56 pm »
Ohhhhh I do believe I am an expert on this subject! :P I absolutely loved Jarhead, which I was not expecting and was dragged (I say dragged, but I am exagerating; like anyones is going to have to drag me to a Jake film) to see it by my friend who really loves manly war movies. We both loved it: I loved it cause it was so funny and of course cause it has Jake in and my friend liked it cause it is just her kind of film.
Now Donnie Darko......Do you really want to pull at that thread? If I start talking Donnie I will never shut up, seriously I am not joking. A couple of days ago someone mentioned it and I wouldn't shut up for hours! But seriously Jake is brilliant in this, infact it is my second favourite Jake movie ever, and that is saying something.
I hope you enjoy DD, you can talk to me about it any time and I will be willing to talk.
"Look too often at those hills, lie too long beside those rippling rivers, and you may think you are hearing a love song, when actually it is a death song." Larry McMurtry, Brokeback Mountain: Story to Screenplay.

Offline Flashframe777

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • autumn auteur
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2006, 05:38:55 pm »
Thanks BX.  I've come across a lot of people who are passionate about DD.  I think I will watch it over the weekend (in real time). 
"yet he is suffused with a sense of pleasure because Jack Twist was in his dream"

Offline amh

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • C'mere, baby.
Re: Just Saw Jake in Jarhead
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2006, 05:42:44 pm »
LOL!!!!! I didn't even think that they still made VHS tapes for new movies!!
I KNOW, that's exactly what I said.

UPDATE:  I rented the DVD instead - and I thought it was great.   A completely underrated film, IMO.  I thought it was enthralling.  And of course Jake was wonderful. 

I enjoyed the extras and the commentary, especially the reporter's interview with Swoff - my GOD how can someone not love Jake?  His answers made me laugh out loud!  At Nicole's suggestion I may well buy the collector's edition. 
« Last Edit: April 01, 2006, 10:53:36 am by amh625 »
:-* This ain't no rodeo, cowboy.

Offline Nicole

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Nicole R.
    • MY MySpace Page
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2006, 05:44:09 pm »
Next up...Donnie Darko.

Hey, as long as there's no plane crash involved I'm fine with it.  I have an irrational fear of planes crashing into my bedroom.

LOL!!!!!  Yeah, you should be fine with this movie. 
   Cowboys do it better

Offline sparkle_motion

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Stacey.
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2006, 06:31:42 pm »
Next up...Donnie Darko.

Hey, as long as there's no plane crash involved I'm fine with it.  I have an irrational fear of planes crashing into my bedroom.

As much as I hate to admit this, because he put me on ignore on the IMDb board, but this cracked me up.
...then you ask me about Mexico and tell me you'll kill me for needing somethin' I don't hardly never get.

Offline Flashframe777

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • autumn auteur
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2006, 02:52:41 am »
Trying to watch Jarhead again because everyone spoke so highly of it.  Hating every minute of it.  No handle whatsoever to grab hold.  As Ennis would say, "ain't no reins on this one."   It's homophobic, ridiculously heterocentric, and can't possibly lead to anythiing remotely entertaining for a gay man other than naked Jake.  Somebody please tell me by the end of this movie I will love it.  Five more minutes have passed, and I'm really hating Jamie Foxx in this one.  E&M, E&M, E&M....(empty and meaningless).  Can hardly wait to "rehydrate" with Brokeback Mountain.

vkm91941

« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2006, 02:57:21 am »
You got it Flash.. E&M is the whole point of what they're experiencing!

Offline Flashframe777

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • autumn auteur
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2006, 02:59:45 am »
Yes, but I'd rather be experiencing F&M, F&M, F&M - full and meaningful like BBM.