Author Topic: Just Saw Jake in Jarhead (SPOILER)  (Read 10902 times)

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Just Saw Jake in Jarhead (SPOILER)
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2006, 03:04:33 am »
Yes, but I'd rather be experiencing F&M, F&M, F&M - full and meaningful like BBM.

Yes, that's why i don't want to see it, despite the good reviews.

Offline Flashframe777

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • autumn auteur
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2006, 03:17:05 am »
Yeah...loved it in 8x.  Hated it in real time.  That's my final analysis.  Unfortunately the Santa Dance was not enough to redeem this for me.
"yet he is suffused with a sense of pleasure because Jack Twist was in his dream"

Offline cmr107

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Call me Courtney
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2006, 03:30:15 am »
I'm having me a Jake-full weekend. I rented The Good Girl, Jarhead, and Moonlight Mile. Would have gotten Donnie Darko, but I remember discussion over regular vs director's cut (both of which they carried), and one of them being awful (director's cut is the bad one, right?), and I didn't want to get the wrong one. Watched The Good Girl tonight. It was odd. I'll probably watch Jarhead tomorrow, but I'm sad to see you didn't like it. I've heard only good things about it.

Offline Flashframe777

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • autumn auteur
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2006, 04:01:18 am »
Pay no attention to my opinion of Jarhead.  I despise war movies, and anything having to do with war, usually no matter the context.  Jarhead really didn't have a chance with me.

Apocalypse Now?  Apocalypse Never.
"yet he is suffused with a sense of pleasure because Jack Twist was in his dream"

Offline sparkle_motion

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Stacey.
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2006, 11:27:12 am »
I'm having me a Jake-full weekend. I rented The Good Girl, Jarhead, and Moonlight Mile. Would have gotten Donnie Darko, but I remember discussion over regular vs director's cut (both of which they carried), and one of them being awful (director's cut is the bad one, right?), and I didn't want to get the wrong one. Watched The Good Girl tonight. It was odd. I'll probably watch Jarhead tomorrow, but I'm sad to see you didn't like it. I've heard only good things about it.

I despise war movies, but I liked Jarhead. Of course, it could be because I'm smitten with Jake.
I haven't seen the Director's Cut of Donnie. I haven't heard a single positive thing about it and I don't want it to ruin the movie for me.
I wish I could click on your avatar and make it bigger, it looks hilarious!
...then you ask me about Mexico and tell me you'll kill me for needing somethin' I don't hardly never get.

Offline littleguitar

• She was always a lonely child...
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2006, 12:00:29 pm »
the director's cut of donnie is worth watching if you've already seen the original.  But I would definitely start with the original.  The tone of the director's cut is entirely different and I think it loses a lot of it's humor.  I think there are a few extra scenes in the director's cut that are interesting but they really emphasize Donnie's depression... I do like the director's cut but I watched it first and hated it, it wasn't until I saw the original that I fell in love with the movie
‘cause the truth is, I already give him everythin’ I got to give, more than I ever even knew I had; ‘n it all for him, all of it, him who is my brother, my father, my child, my friend, my lover, my heart, my soul; my Ennis.

-- del Mar Painting, Ch. 48 by b73

EnnisDelMar

« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2006, 12:08:03 pm »
Yeah I like the Theatrical Donnie much better than the Director's Cut... he took out the Echo and the Bunnymen song!

Offline littleguitar

• She was always a lonely child...
« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2006, 12:48:27 pm »
oh I know brandon! that made me really mad! that song was perfect right where it was, it set the tone of the entire movie!
‘cause the truth is, I already give him everythin’ I got to give, more than I ever even knew I had; ‘n it all for him, all of it, him who is my brother, my father, my child, my friend, my lover, my heart, my soul; my Ennis.

-- del Mar Painting, Ch. 48 by b73

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BBM Radio Program Director
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2006, 01:02:33 am »
Ok, I just watched Jarhead tonight (on the 4th of July appropriately).  All I can say is WOW.  I am speechless.  I kick myself for not seeing this in the theatre before BBM now. 

And I hate to say this, but I think Jake gave a better performance in Jarhead.   (runs and hides)... He's a GREAT ACTOR!    I was blown away by his performance.  It's great acting when you don't see the actor, but you see the character.  In BBM I see Jack, and in Jarhead, I see Swoff.  I don't see "Jake"!

Jarhead... way overlooked last November...

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2006, 02:18:56 am »
Ok, I just watched Jarhead tonight (on the 4th of July appropriately).  All I can say is WOW.  I am speechless.  I kick myself for not seeing this in the theatre before BBM now. 

And I hate to say this, but I think Jake gave a better performance in Jarhead.   (runs and hides)... He's a GREAT ACTOR!    I was blown away by his performance.  It's great acting when you don't see the actor, but you see the character.  In BBM I see Jack, and in Jarhead, I see Swoff.  I don't see "Jake"!

Jarhead... way overlooked last November...

Agreed 100% on all accounts Eric...

Unfortunetly it was seen as more of a political statement rather then a movie and was overlooked big time....

Eh..what do award associations know anyways?