Author Topic: Just Saw Jake in Jarhead (SPOILER)  (Read 10825 times)

Offline opinionista

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Just Saw Jake in Jarhead (SPOILER)
« Reply #30 on: July 05, 2006, 07:06:47 am »
I just saw "Jarhead", and by "saw" I mean watched it at 8x speed.  C'mon, I'd never actually watch a movie about war in real time.  Uber-Super-Mega-Ultra Liberal here - what do you expect?

Jake looked extremely fine as a man-o-war.

Peter Saarsgard makes a very pretty corpse.

I give it two "make love-not war" thumbs up!

I loved the movie, yet I felt Sam Mendes was kept on a short leash. He could've said much more. I have the feeling the studio didn't allow him to.
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline David

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #31 on: July 05, 2006, 08:04:34 am »
Warning: Spoilers

I saw JarHead a few weeks ago.   I too had trouble getting into it.     It was a disturbing movie.   Jake, Peter and Jamie all did fine jobs acting.   And yes, I did cry at the end at Peters funeral.   

The Santa dance was funny.  And I never tire of hearing Jake Gyllenhaal say Masterbate.
But the movie left me fealing kind of empty, just like the War it represented. 

oh, and I do like a good war movie.   Sink the Bismark and Midway are two good ones.
So in my opinion, the only good war flicks are WWII ones. 

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #32 on: July 05, 2006, 08:10:57 am »
Have you seen Galipoli or Breaker Morant?  Those are my favorites.  I must have a thing for Aussies.  ;)

And of all the Vietnam War flicks, I think The Deer Hunter is my favorite.  I still can't get that Russian Roulette scene out of my head.  Maybe "favorite" isn't quite the right word...
No more beans!

Offline David

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #33 on: July 05, 2006, 08:26:13 am »
No, I haven't seen any of those Barb.

I  want to add "Kellys Heroes" to my list. 
Where else can you get a movie with:

Clint Eastwood ....
Telly Savalas ....
Don Rickles
Carroll O'Connor .... 
Donald Sutherland .... 
Gavin MacLeod .... 
Stuart Margolin ....
Harry Dean Stanton

and more

Offline littleguitar

• She was always a lonely child...
« Reply #34 on: July 05, 2006, 09:33:44 am »
Agreed 100% on all accounts Eric...

Unfortunetly it was seen as more of a political statement rather then a movie and was overlooked big time....

Eh..what do award associations know anyways?

I totally agree, I think Jake was amazing in this movie.  He gave a much better performance than even I was expecting, and I'm obsessed with him!  As for it being a political statement, that makes me angry.  I honestly feel this movie was the exact opposite of a political statement (whatever that might be).  I think it worked really hard to stay away from politics and just be and to call it a political statement is, in a way, to misunderstand the movie.  Damn hollywood and their oscars... Jarhead should not have been overlooked  >:(
‘cause the truth is, I already give him everythin’ I got to give, more than I ever even knew I had; ‘n it all for him, all of it, him who is my brother, my father, my child, my friend, my lover, my heart, my soul; my Ennis.

-- del Mar Painting, Ch. 48 by b73

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "It's nobody's business but ours."
    • "every sort of organized noise"
« Reply #35 on: July 05, 2006, 11:02:51 am »
It cannhot be emphasized too much that the outtakes with swoff abd the interviewer, without the mendes voice=over, are hysterical, right to the pont, and--he says "jack-off," not "masterbate." Abouit 50 times...tells you what the orieinary soldier thinks abiout fighting a dumb war, yes SIR.
"We're each of us alone, to be sure. What can you do but hold your hand out in the dark?" --"Nine Lives," by Ursula K. Le Guin, from The Wind's Twelve Quarters