Author Topic: Collectibles!  (Read 164232 times)

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
Re: Collectables!
« Reply #30 on: December 22, 2008, 01:25:52 am »
Makes a $6 Chardonnay taste like liquid gold, in my opinion.  Which reminds me, I've been choosing Australian wines lately.  I'll have to keep some of the labels, get your opinion!

I'm not a wine expert. Not overly fond of white wines or anything with bubbles in it, but I do LOVE a good red, especially Merlot. My favourite Australian wine is Wolf Blass Eaglehawk Merlot. I can also recommend anything from Margaret River in Western Australia (it's a big wine growing region) - Heath's home state. I've sampled many Margaret River reds over the years and all have been GOOD!  :D
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Artiste

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Collectibles!
« Reply #31 on: December 23, 2008, 04:51:37 pm »
Had those glasses and dishes; still have a set Royal Doulton too rare!

Anyone here a rare wine connaisseur?

I have a bottle, but need info.

Offline ZK

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Hummels!
« Reply #32 on: December 31, 2008, 05:56:10 am »

The largest is a splendid statue of the falcon-headed Egyptian sun god, Ra. He's about 60cm (2ft) tall and stands in the middle of my dining table, from whence he holds court. He is a very majestic presence in my home. The smallest figurine is a tiny, beautifully detailed figurine of the elephant-headed Hindu god, Ganesh. Traditionally, Ganesh should be located inside one's front door, facing the door, to guard your home. And that's where my Ganesh is located (I have more than one Ganesh).

Wow Kerry I loved the pics you posted, if you get a chance could you post a picture of Ra and a Ganesh for me??

Offline Artiste

« Reply #33 on: December 31, 2008, 04:42:55 pm »
Anyone collected trains?

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #34 on: December 31, 2008, 06:04:20 pm »
The largest is a splendid statue of the falcon-headed Egyptian sun god, Ra. He's about 60cm (2ft) tall and stands in the middle of my dining table, from whence he holds court. He is a very majestic presence in my home. The smallest figurine is a tiny, beautifully detailed figurine of the elephant-headed Hindu god, Ganesh. Traditionally, Ganesh should be located inside one's front door, facing the door, to guard your home. And that's where my Ganesh is located (I have more than one Ganesh).

Kerry, I never knew that tradition, but sure enough, my Ganesh is right inside the front door!  He must have guided me!

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
    • Google Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 01, 2009, 09:48:53 am »
Wow Kerry I loved the pics you posted, if you get a chance could you post a picture of Ra and a Ganesh for me??

Glad you like them, Matt. I've got a few figurines of Ganesh but none are of any great artistic significance. That doesn't stop me from loving them, though. Ganesh is such a jolly, chubby, approachable little fellow. You can't help but like him. I'll line-up my Ganesh figurines for a photo-op shortly, Matt, and post the pic here for you. Will also do the same with the Ra.

Meanwhile, here is a photo of my statue of the Egyptian god, Thoth. Her stands 40cm (16 inches) tall:

Thoth is the name given by the Greeks to the Egyptian god Djeheuty (Tehuti). Thoth was the god of wisdom, inventor of writing, patron of scribes and the divine mediator. He is most often represented as a man with the head of an ibis, holding a scribal palette and reed pen. He could also be shown completely as an ibis or a baboon.

As with most Egyptian deities there were many different stories regarding the parentage of Thoth. Many sources call him the son of Ra, but one tradition has him springing forth from the head of Seth. This latter story is reminiscent of the birth of the Greek goddess Athena, who like Thoth was the patron divinity of wisdom.

Myths concerning Thoth show him as a divinity whose counsel is always sought. His most significant role is during the battles of Horus and Seth. Thoth is a staunch supporter of Horus and his mother Isis, maintaining that Horus' claim to the throne is just and the murderous Seth has no right to the kingship of Egypt. Elsewhere Thoth is a reliable mediator and peacemaker. When the goddess Tefnut had a dispute with her father Ra and absconded to Nubia, it was Thoth that the sun-god sent to reason with her and bring her home. Thoth was also present at the judgement of the dead. He would question the deceased before recording the result of the weighing of the deceased's heart. If the result was favorable Thoth would declare the deceased as a righteous individual who was worthy of a blessed afterlife.

Thoth was also a lunar deity, and whatever form he took he wore a lunar crescent on his head. Some Egyptologists think that the Egyptians identified the crescent moon with the curved beak of the ibis. It is also suggested that the Egyptians observed that baboon was a nocturnal (i.e. lunar) animal who would greet the sun with chattering noises each morning.

As he was messenger of the gods Thoth was identified by the Greeks with their own god Hermes. For this reason Thoth's center of worship is still known to us today as Hermopolis. 
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
    • Google Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 01, 2009, 09:59:34 am »
Kerry, I never knew that tradition, but sure enough, my Ganesh is right inside the front door!  He must have guided me!

My Indian friend, Kokila, would tell you that Ganesh definitely decided where he wanted to be located in your home, Paul.  ;)    :)  She has a very strong devotion to Ganesh and tells me that Hindus always address Ganesh first, before praying to any other god or goddess, including the greatest of the gods, such as Ganesh's father, Lord Shiva, for example. The reason for this is because Hindus believe that Ganesh is the god who makes things happen. He opens doors. Because he is so beloved by all the other Hindu deities, they listen to him when he whispers your requests in their ear, on your behalf. Similar to the way Catholics ask the saints to intercede on their behalf.   
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline ZK

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #37 on: January 01, 2009, 09:51:27 pm »
Wow Kerry thats a beautiful statue of Thoth.  I really like reading historical fiction so I know a little about Thoth, but I did not know amongst other things that Thoth was the name given by the Greeks. I am looking forward to seeing your pictures of Ganesh when you have time.

When I eventually buy another house and travel some more I intend to bring back lots of shall I say "ethnic" pieces. So far the only thing I have is a burnt leather picture of the Mayan King Pakal which I bought in Mexico. Heres a picture of one I down loaded off the interent. My one is bone coloured figurine on a black background. Its one of my favourite possesions

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
    • Google Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 02, 2009, 08:21:37 am »
That is a most strikingly powerful image, Matt. It looks familiar somehow. I think I've seen it somewhere before.

I've had a look through my collection and I counted four Ganesh figurines. As I say, none of them are of any great artistic significance, but I love having them all the same. Two of them are positioned inside my front door, facing the door, to protect my home. It's Saturday tomorrow and I'll take a photo of them then. Meanwhile, here's one of my favourite images of Lord Ganesh dancing:

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
    • Google Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 02, 2009, 09:43:34 pm »
Just took this photo of my four Ganesh figurines. All were gifts, except for the bronze on the sandalwood base, second from right, which I bought for myself. The silver and the bronze both face my front door, along with various other deities. The figurine second from left is located in my bedroom and the one at far right sits atop my fridge, in the kitchen, which is where this photo was taken. Apologies to those on dial-up, for the size of this pic. It may be necessary to scroll over ----->

γνῶθι σεαυτόν