Author Topic: Collectibles!  (Read 164131 times)

Offline ZK

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Collectibles!
« Reply #40 on: January 03, 2009, 08:53:51 am »
Hey thanks for the pics of your Ganesh (es) (s) uumm you know what I mean. They're awesome.
I think I might like to get one for the entrance of my house
ta heaps
Matt

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 18, 2009, 08:28:58 am »
I bought this figurine of Kuan Yin, the Buddhist Goddess of Mercy, many years ago in Sydney's Chinatown. She stands 28cm tall (just under one foot) and is made of hand-carved amber.

The Goddess Kwan Yin (also spelled Quan Yin, Kuanyin, and Guanyin) is one of the deities most frequently seen on altars in Buddhist temples. In Sanskrit, her name is Padma-pâni, or "Born of the Lotus." Kwan Yin, alone among Buddhist gods, is loved rather than feared and is the model of Chinese beauty. Regarded by Buddhists as the Goddess of Mercy, she was originally male until the early part of the 12th century and has evolved since that time from her prototype, Avalokiteshvara, "the merciful lord of utter enlightment," an Indian bodhisattva who chose to remain on earth to bring relief to the suffering rather than enjoy for himself the ecstasies of Nirvana. One of the several stories surrounding Kwan Yin is that she was a Buddhist who, through great love and sacrifice during life, had earned the right to enter Nirvana after death. However, like Avlokiteshvara, while standing before the gates of Paradise, she heard a cry of anguish from the earth below. Turning back to earth, she renounced her reward of bliss eternal and in its place found immortality in the hearts of the suffering.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
    • Google Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 27, 2009, 02:17:08 am »
I bought this figurine of the Egyptian Sun God, Ra, some years ago and he usually holds court from the centre of my dining table; though, for this photo-op, I persuaded him to temporarily take up a perch on top of the fridge in the kitchen. He didn't seem to mind. He was very dignified about it. Regal, even.  ;)   :D

He's 53cm tall (approx 21 inches) and I got him from a nearby Egyptian bazaar here in Sydney.

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #43 on: January 27, 2009, 02:55:46 am »
He's beautiful Kerry. I love figurines of any kind, and I also love miniatures.

I'm so glad he cooperated with his photo shoot! I think Ra is probably one of those gods you don't want to piss off. ;)

I've always had a fascination with the Egyptian gods. The Greek and Roman gods too. Particularly the Greek gods! Aphrodite, Zeus, Poseidon and of course Cupid! :D
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
    • Google Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 27, 2009, 09:14:20 am »

He's beautiful Kerry. I love figurines of any kind, and I also love miniatures.

I'm so glad he cooperated with his photo shoot! I think Ra is probably one of those gods you don't want to piss off. ;)

I've always had a fascination with the Egyptian gods. The Greek and Roman gods too. Particularly the Greek gods! Aphrodite, Zeus, Poseidon and of course Cupid! :D

The Egyptian gods are my favourites. Egypt has fascinated me from an early age. I even developed my own hieroglyphics when I was at school. I like the Greek gods too, especially Apollo. Lots of the Greek gods were bisexual and had male and female lovers. My favourite Roman god is the little known Antinous. He had been the lover of the Roman Emperor, Hadrian. He tragically drowned in the Nile at a very young age. Hadrian was in such deep mourning following his death, he had Antinous deified and commissioned many statues of him to be made and temples built throughout the Empire. Here he is. Isn't he gorgeous?

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #45 on: January 29, 2009, 11:23:27 am »
And along comes Chuck with his inner child to take the thread in a different direction.

:laugh:

Everyone has such cool, mature stuff that they've posted.

My favorite cartoon as a child was "The Super Friends".  There was a bit of memorbilia/marketing stuff out at that time, but my parents wouldn't buy me anything.  Some of what I have now, I got off of ebay.  Other stuff was released on the 20th anniversary of the cartoon's debut.  Let's start with two 8X10 pics of the "core group".

From the debut season, 1973.  The "core group" was Superman, Wonder Woman, Batman, Robin, Aquaman, and sidekicks/heros in training "Wendy, Marvin & Wonderdog".

From the 1976 season, after 3 years, Wendy, Marvin & WonderDog were replaced by the Wonder Twins (Zan & Jayna) and their pet monkey, Gleek.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #46 on: January 29, 2009, 11:24:32 am »

Now, onto my animation cels.....

Superman and Wonder Woman

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #47 on: January 29, 2009, 11:25:09 am »

Batman & Robin

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #48 on: January 29, 2009, 11:26:32 am »

Aquaman & The Wonder Twins

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #49 on: January 29, 2009, 11:27:15 am »

Flash & Green Lantern