Author Topic: Collectibles!  (Read 164082 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: Collectibles!
« Reply #180 on: May 08, 2021, 10:04:54 pm »
I ought to Google Apache Chief and see if I can learn something about his story line. He looks a little stereotypical and maybe even politically incorrect for the current climate of concerns about Diversity and Inclusion. (I write this because for work I recently had to view a short video about racism directed at Native Americans/First Nations/Indigenous Peoples. It was really eye-opening.)
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #181 on: May 08, 2021, 11:08:22 pm »
I ought to Google Apache Chief and see if I can learn something about his story line. He looks a little stereotypical and maybe even politically incorrect for the current climate of concerns about Diversity and Inclusion. (I write this because for work I recently had to view a short video about racism directed at Native Americans/First Nations/Indigenous Peoples. It was really eye-opening.)

I can help you out with this.

In 1977, The All New Super Friends Hour debuted, and it included three new "diversity" characters, added because the majority of the characters were white.  The new characters included a Japanese man, a black man, and a Native American.

While it seemed to be a step in the right direction, the animators and writers didn't bother to come up with secret identities for them, or even origin stores (Apache Chief did get one later).  Even their names were problematic, as they were named after aspects of their ethnicity rather than their powers.

The black man could turn himself into electricity and shoot electricity from his hands.  He was Black Vulcan.  The Japanese man could turn into the wind, turn invisible and turn himself into fire.  He was Samurai.  The Native American could grow to 50 feet tall.  He was Apache Chief.

Their powers were also ill-defined.  Samurai could change into all of those things, instead of one thing.  In later episodes, Apache Chief grew much larger than 50 feet tall, in one episode becoming bigger than planet Earth.  Black Vulcan started to only change his bottom half into electricity to fly, instead of turning his entire body into a bolt of lightning.

Later, in the 80s, a 4th character was introduced.  A man from South America who could teleport, create illusions, and use telepathy (again, a multiple of ill-defined powers) and he was named El Dorado.

Here is a two minute clip that gives the origin of Apache Chief, and his nemesis, Giganta.

A later cartoon called Justice League resurrected the three diversity characters, but gave them names that matched their abilities as well as their cultures.   Black Vulcan became "Juice".  Samurai became "Wind Dragon" and Apache Chief became "Long Shadow".

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #182 on: May 14, 2021, 09:49:05 pm »
Thanks for sharing this. I've been distracted and completely forgot about it.  :P
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #183 on: May 14, 2021, 09:57:57 pm »
You're welcome!

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #184 on: May 29, 2021, 07:08:37 pm »
Newest item for my collection arrived today.

It's a hardcover book called "Super Friends - Saturday Morning Comics" and is a full color collection of the Super Friends comic series that ran from 1977-1982. This is volume 1 (Issues #1 - #26). Volume 2 will be released later this year, and collect issues #27 - #47, when the series ended.

Front cover.

Apparently, I never posted that I got volume 2.   This completes the collection, containing issues #27 - #47.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #185 on: July 25, 2021, 08:02:39 pm »
Just when I think I've collected everything I can for my Super Friends collection, I find something new.

:laugh:

You've seen my pics of my Funko Pop figures.  Well, Funko apparently has a "soda" line.   There are new figures that come sealed in a soda can.  The figures could be the traditional appearance, or you could get a special figure that is a limited variant.

Here are the first cans I managed to find.   There is a shot glass next to them to help give a size comparison.   

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #186 on: July 25, 2021, 08:04:42 pm »
My cans for Superman, Wonder Woman and Flash are sealed in plastic.   Robin is open, but the figure is sealed in dark plastic, so I don't know what I've gotten with them.

the Batman can is open, and the figure and button are loose, so this is what it looks like.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #187 on: July 25, 2021, 08:05:22 pm »
The next cans that are being released are for the Wonder Twins, they are going to be released in September.  I've pre-ordered them.

Each can comes separately.  The promo images show the twins as they traditionally appear, and the variant figures are based on the Super Friends episode "Attack of the Vampire", so I could get two traditional looking figures, two "Wonder Twins as vampires" figures, or one of each.  It's total luck of the draw.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #188 on: September 15, 2021, 08:56:40 pm »
My Zan & Jayna Funko Soda cans arrived today.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #189 on: January 11, 2022, 07:29:58 pm »
New item showed up for the collection today.   Bigger than I visualized, but pretty cool.

It's actually a kid's playset, but I think it will make a great stand for some of my figures.

In the pic it's near an end table and TV stand.