Author Topic: New convert!  (Read 5029 times)

Offline Kazza

• Brokeback Got Me Good
New convert!
« on: July 06, 2006, 07:35:41 am »
Hey all, I'm a BMM newbie. Only saw the movie on a rented DVD last Sunday week. Ran out and bought it the next day. Been in bizzare state of suspended exisitance since. My other half is a bit bemused as to what's going on with me. In fact I'm a bit bemused too. I'm happy to know that there are so many of you out there feeling the same.

Is it normal to see references to the film/story in so much everyday stuff? E.g. I was reading The Very Hungry Caterpillar to my daughter last night and on the first page there is a big full moon. And what popped into my head???

Anyhow, I would love, love, love to see BBM on the big screen.

Do any of you lovely UK (London) Brokies know of any plans to screen it here again? If I hear of anything I'll post it.

I'm totally new to all this so please be patient with me if I'm breaking any kind of discussion board etiquette.

X

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: New convert!
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2006, 08:34:17 am »
You're not breaking any etiquette at all, Kazza - everyone is welcome to dive right in here, and the water's just fine.

Welcome to our happy little (really, not so lonely now, is it?) pool.  We love to hear all about first-timers' experiences - they generally echo our own and make us feel a little less looney.

We have several UK Brokies here, as you've probably discovered in your reading.  I'm in Florida (and sweating at this very moment, having just come inside from the swamp minutes ago).

I was lucky enough to see it on the big screen for the first time in January, and then six more times in various big-screen venues since.  I also own the DVD - three copies, actually - two to lend out and one to covet and watch occasionally.

We all here have experienced what you speak of after our first (and/or second) viewing.  After my first, I was just stunned, and all I could think was "Wow."  It was about all I could articulate, too.  It wasn't what I expected - though I'm not sure what that was, exactly.  It lingered in the back of my mind for the rest of the day and evening and next day, until I found myself singing "Vincent" to my son before bed (I read him The Very Hungry Caterpillar, too!  :)), and at the line "And when no hope was left in sight on that starry, starry night, you took your life as lovers often do...", I started sobbing.  My son was a little alarmed, so I attempted to sing the next line, "But I could have told you, Vincent, this world was never meant for one as beautiful as you" through the sobs and that, of course, made it worse.  Many here talk of weeping in the shower the next morning, or something in a song or that they see on the way to work reminding them and crying in their cars (that last one's happened to me).  We've all been there.  And some of us have been back many times.  OK, most of us.

Anyway, welcome again.  And feel free to share your thoughts and impressions any time and in any place here.  There are even places to post about stuff not directly related to Brokeback for when you get around to needing a break from doing that.  You won't be out of place at all if that's a long time from now.  :)
No more beans!

Offline serious crayons

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2006, 02:43:39 am »
Welcome, Kazza! We're glad to have you here. Make yourself at home!

I read my sons The Very Hungry Caterpillar long before seeing Brokeback (about eight years before!) but there's not much that doesn't remind me of it, one way or another.

:D

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2006, 02:34:39 pm »
Welcome Kazza!

Want a cup of coffee don't you?  And, a piece of cherry cake?

It sounds like you're exhibiting the early signs of Brokie-fever.  Well, you're in good company around here.  And yes, you'll probably find thoughts of BBM slipping into your daily routine (maybe even stoking the whole day) if Brokeback really did get you good.  You might come to find this quite a pleasant thing.
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline adrian

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Mountain Resident
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2006, 03:29:52 pm »

Welcome Kazaa,

I really hope you get to see it on the BIG screen....it is beautiful.  Maybe someday, they'll rescreen it in theaters.  I'm glad you've joined us.

Adrian
There were only two of them on the mountain flying in the euphoric, bitter air, looking down on the hawks back and crawling lights of vehicles on the plain below....they believed themselves invisible.   A. Proulx

Offline Katie77

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2006, 04:41:32 pm »
I always get a little amused when I read what someone says they are feeling, when they have just watched BBM for the first time, and they dont know whats happening to them.

Amused, because they are feeling what I felt after watching it the first time, and i am sure most of us felt....and we wonder what is doing it, wonder if we are strange or something, cant fully understand it all....which causes us to seek out these message boards.

Kazza, if you think this will pass in a week or so, forget it, once it gets into your soul, it wont ever leave it, we are all testement to that....Brokeback sure got us good.

I often wonder why it affects us all the same way, and yet, for others there is not the same effect....are we the chosen ones....what makes it affect us and not others.....are there any husband and wife partners where it affected both of you the same, or is it just mainly the wife who is affected.....??

Well, I know I love having this fever, I've learned to control it and manage it, and enjoy it, and I wouldnt give up the feelings this movie has given me for anything...

Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline David

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2006, 05:22:34 pm »
Welcome!!!!

I sure you y'all get to see it on the big screen in the UK again.

The first half of the movie up in the Mountains is spectacular!   Just breath taking on the wide screen!

Offline Luvlylittlewing

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2006, 09:55:25 pm »
Kazza, welcome aboard!  I'm rather new here myself, but certainly not to BBM.  I have been haunted by this beautiful movie for 7 months, and think about it every waking moment.  It is a fetish, an obsession, and it seems I can't do anything about it.  BBM will be with me forever, I'll never get over it.  I'm a Brokie to my soul, and am so glad I found this forum!   I am able to talk through my feelings with other Brokies.  I saw BBM in the theatres 23 times and on DVD more times than I can count.  I was lucky enough to attend a special screening of BBM in San Francisco at the Castro Theatre last month.  Brokeback definitely got us good.  Ennis and Jack are part of me now, and I wouldn't have it any other way :)
« Last Edit: July 09, 2006, 09:59:40 pm by littlewing1957 »

Offline Momof2

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • BLISS
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2006, 01:56:42 pm »
Hey!  I am new to the forum.  I really do not know why I am posting.  I am married and have two kids and BBM has gotten me good.  The movie touched me in places that I did not know existed.  It really made me look at my life.  I think about Ennis and Jack constantly and common everyday things make me think of the movie.  When I first watched I felt like my heart was being ripped from my body.  The next day, I could not think of anything else.  It has made me love my husband in a differnt way.  He is the love of my life and I can not imagine the pain Ennis and Jack felt.  I do not think I could take it. 

I have a really good friend that is gay.  It has always broke my heart to think of him suffering for loving someone.  It is so unfair.  Now that I have seen this movie, it makes me sadder but at the same time happy that he is with the person he loves.  I respect him alot more now. 

I do not think I will ever be able to escape Brokeback and do not think I want to.  I watch the movie everytime I can.  The first couple of times it was heart wrenching.  Now it is like catching up with two old friends.  I guess I kind of think of them as family.

Just confused. But happy.  BrokeBack got me good.

I wish I knew how to quit you.

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2006, 02:11:41 pm »
Hey!  I am new to the forum.  I really do not know why I am posting.  I am married and have two kids and BBM has gotten me good.  The movie touched me in places that I did not know existed.  It really made me look at my life.  I think about Ennis and Jack constantly and common everyday things make me think of the movie.  When I first watched I felt like my heart was being ripped from my body.  The next day, I could not think of anything else.  It has made me love my husband in a differnt way.  He is the love of my life and I can not imagine the pain Ennis and Jack felt.  I do not think I could take it. 

Just confused. But happy.  BrokeBack got me good.

Hi momof2 (original name! why didn't i think of that? :))

One of the nicest thing about BBM is that when people talk about what it did to them, so often I want to jump in and say 'me too, me too!'.
you've come to the right place, it's nice being here.
welcome
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'