Author Topic: Ennis's shirts  (Read 2040 times)

Offline jpwagoneer1964

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Me and my 1951 DeSoto Suburban
Ennis's shirts
« on: July 06, 2006, 01:36:27 pm »
Just notice today while watching will working on the computer, My work area miniized ( my boss is ok with this it's me)that the outer shirt/jacket Ennis wears at the twists ranch is almost identical to the shirt his father wears in the flashback scene on 1st campout, "It could like this, just like......", up to the corduroy collar. Only the lable is different.
Thank you Heath and Jake for showing us Ennis and Jack,  teaching us how much they loved one another.

moremojo

Re: Ennis's shirts
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2006, 06:53:46 pm »
Just notice today while watching will working on the computer, My work area miniized ( my boss is ok with this it's me)that the outer shirt/jacket Ennis wears at the twists ranch is almost identical to the shirt his father wears in the flashback scene on 1st campout, "It could like this, just like......", up to the corduroy collar. Only the lable is different.
Yes, I recall one of our other members (perhaps Amanda?) commenting earlier on the resemblance, but mostly in terms of the grayish color. It was suggested (if I'm remembering correctly) that this might indicate how Ennis has become like his father by this point in his life.

If I am remembering correctly, I would disagree. By story's end, Ennis is moving ever farther from becoming the potentially murderous homophobe embodied by his father--he realizes that Jack was homosexual, that Jack and he loved one another in every way, and might possibly now see and accept himself as homosexual. Furthermore, he has exposed himself to Lureen and to Jack's parents as Jack's lover, by implication more than by statement. The similarity of jackets might have an ironic function, showing how ostensibly Ennis and his father are so similar and yet, at the end of the day, so fundamentally different. Whatever the significance, I certainly don't think the similarity is a fluke--nothing in this film is throwaway.

Scott
« Last Edit: February 15, 2008, 08:15:50 pm by moremojo »