Author Topic: They Blew Up Our Dome!!!  (Read 9098 times)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

injest

Re: They Blew Up Our Dome!!!
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2008, 03:34:24 am »
{{{David}}}

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2008, 03:57:32 am »
I know. It's so sad. :'(

I remember when they built that dome. I think it was 1984. It wasn't all that impressive in the 21 century, but back in the 1980s it was quite a sight to see. And then the Colts came to town. Baltimore never forgave us. lol

They held a big contest to name the dome. From hundreds of thousands of suggestions they decided to name it the Hoosier Dome. Later, RCA bought the naming rights, and it was named the RCA Dome, but a lot of us never stopped calling it the Hoosier Dome. I went to lots of Colts games in that stadium. You want to know something? They've won every home game I've ever attended. I've never been to a Colts game that they lost. Not one. Ever.

Lucas Stadium is nice. Very high tech. Big. Sparkly. Roomy. Lots of razzle dazzle. But it will never be the Hoosier Dome... ooops!.... I mean the RCA Dome. :)

injest

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2008, 04:02:35 am »
no it takes time for things to have a personality of its own...it will take a while. ;)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2008, 04:15:22 am »
Yes, I suppose you're right.

*sigh*

And the Lucas Oil stadium has a roof that cranks out, so they can play games "outdoors". The Hoosier Dome didn't have that feature! ;)

It will catch on. I'm certain it will. But I will still miss the old dome. :-\

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2008, 06:53:21 am »
One of the comments said that the city still owed $$ on the RCA Dome--is that true, David? (I don't trust those comments most of the time.)

Too bad there couldn't have been another use for the Dome. Memphis built this wonderful Pyramid arena and now it's not being used because the FedEx Forum is the new venue in town. I have heard that there is going to be a MEGA Bass Pro Shop installed in the Pyramid. That's better than tearing it down tho.
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2008, 08:13:19 am »
Sorry to hear that, David.  I felt a little bit the same way when they tore down the Boston Garden.  I don't get why this country always feels like new is better instead of renovating and/or remodeling the old.  We'll never achieve any classical culture at this rate.

;)
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2008, 04:07:08 am »
One of the comments said that the city still owed $$ on the RCA Dome--is that true, David? (I don't trust those comments most of the time.)

Too bad there couldn't have been another use for the Dome. Memphis built this wonderful Pyramid arena and now it's not being used because the FedEx Forum is the new venue in town. I have heard that there is going to be a MEGA Bass Pro Shop installed in the Pyramid. That's better than tearing it down tho.

It's news to me Shasta! I never heard anything about that! I saw that post too and it came as a surprise to me. As far as I know the Hoosier Dome was completely paid off, but I could be wrong. Some investigation into this matter may be necessary. :-\

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2008, 04:11:00 am »
Sorry to hear that, David.  I felt a little bit the same way when they tore down the Boston Garden.  I don't get why this country always feels like new is better instead of renovating and/or remodeling the old.  We'll never achieve any classical culture at this rate.

;)

I COMPLETELY agree with you Lynne! Did you know a building here in Indiana needs to only be 75 years old in order for it to be registered as a "historic structure"? It's like my British ex once told me when he was visiting Indianapolis: "Our NEW buildings in England are older than that!".

There was nothing at all wrong with the dome that a little remodeling couldn't have fixed. But the "Powers that be" made the decision, slammed their gavel and the Dome fell down. It's gone now. Nothing but dust and rubble. When will we ever learn?