Author Topic: Oprah repeat today!  (Read 7778 times)

Offline adrian

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Mountain Resident
Re: Oprah repeat today!
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2006, 12:54:29 am »
  I have it on tape from the first time, but it is great watching it with the rest of the country.  Maybe it will get to someone who missed it the first time, and open a whole new world for them too.

Based on the questions asked, I don't think Oprah "got it".  She liked the movie because all the right people in the world liked it.  She had the cast on her show, because it was the talk of hollywood, the film to see.  It still bugs me that she would ask whether or not the boys thought that having an affair on their wives was 'conflicting'.  If she really understood the movie, she would know that they had no other real choice.  If she really understood Ennis's struggles, that question would'nt have come to mind.

However, Oprah has a huge audience, and if their exposure was able to get even a few to discover Brokeback Mountain, then I am grateful for it.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2006, 04:32:55 am by adrian.delmar »
There were only two of them on the mountain flying in the euphoric, bitter air, looking down on the hawks back and crawling lights of vehicles on the plain below....they believed themselves invisible.   A. Proulx

Offline welliwont

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2006, 12:59:40 am »
  I have it on tape from the first time, but it is great watching it with the rest of the country.  Maybe it will get to someone who missed it the first time, and open a whole new world for them too.

Based on the questions asked, I don't think Oprah "got it".  She like the movie because all the right people in the world liked it.  She had the cast on her show, because it was the talk of hollywood, the film to see.  It still bugs me that she would ask whether or not the boys thought that having an affair on their wives was 'conflicting'.  If she really understood the movie, she would know that they had no other real choice.  If she really understood Ennis's struggles, that question would'nt have come to mind.

However, Oprah has a huge audience, and if their exposure was able to get even a few to discover Brokeback Mountain, then I am grateful to her.

Yeah, you are 100% right, Oprah was clueless.  Too bad, she usually has a brain...  I didn't even bother to tape it, but maybe  I should have anyway....  oh well.

Welcome to BetterMost adrian.delmar!

Jane

Then the clouds opened up and God said, "I hate you, Alfafa."

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BBM Radio Program Director
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2006, 01:42:40 am »
I HATED the Oprah show.  She was so phony.

vkm91941

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2006, 02:06:08 am »

Yes, Eric...SHE was, but they weren't and Jake nailed her twice about her disingeniousness and then Anne talked back too.  I loved that....when Jake said " what are you trying to get at?"  and then Heath's compassionate and intellegent comment in answer to that revolting suggestion about them being on the Down Low...god Oprah was totally clueless but they handled it.  I was proud of them and enjoyed their interaction with each other
« Last Edit: July 09, 2006, 11:47:47 am by vkm91941 »

Offline adrian

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Mountain Resident
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2006, 04:29:00 am »

I agree, Victoria, Oprah obviously tried to ask all the salacious questions trying to make them squirm, including a reference to Jakes break-up.  Seemingly to try and get all the details in before their half hour was up.  But Heath, being the eloquent man that he is, succeeded in moving the conversations to a better direction.   Oprah seemed to revert to her old "gossipy" self, you know, like her shows from the 80's.
There were only two of them on the mountain flying in the euphoric, bitter air, looking down on the hawks back and crawling lights of vehicles on the plain below....they believed themselves invisible.   A. Proulx

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2006, 06:39:29 am »
Does anybody of you know where I can find this show on the internet?
Never had a chance to see it. It's not on youtube anymore. I know it's on heathledgercentral.com, but this doesn't work on my computer  :(

I'd appreciate your help very much. The winner will earn 100 kissing smilies and my endlessly gratefulness  :).

Any ideas???? Someone?

Offline Mikaela

• Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2006, 06:44:07 am »
Penth, try IheartJake, they've got it too. Here's the link, the Oprah clip is the last one of the "talkshow" clips:

http://iheartjake.com/talkshows.htm

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2006, 08:17:39 am »

I did, too, Eric.  I taped it and watched it a few times when it was first aired because the cast were all so adorable and I enjoyed Jake's and Heath's interaction and obvious chemistry.  But I finally deleted it from my TiVo because I just can't stand her.  Pretty much every question she asked was retarded, and those she asked about the movie just showed, as others have said here, that she didn't understand it at all.  She's an idiot, a phony, and a hypocrite.  I haven't watched her show in years because she pissed me off so bad a long time ago when she did this thing on a couple who had lost four babies to SIDs (the clear implication being that they had killed them themselves) and then - surprise! - had the audience filled with other couples who had just lost one baby to it.  She tries to portray herself as having come oh-so-far from those Springeresqe type shows and being so above all that, but truth is she's never got much farther than that.  It's probably just as well I missed it this time around - I'm still pissed off enough about the last one to stoke my days for a while.

I have a question for you, Oprah:  Don't you find it conflicting that you have all this influence on pop culture and yet you don't begin to have the nearest clue?
No more beans!

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2006, 08:30:47 am »
                          Thank you Mikaela
I made a promise, and I'm gonna keep it:

:-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*

That's me now: :D
Thanks! (*trying to look grateful for the rest of my life*  ;))

Yes, Eric...SHE was, but they weren't and Jake nailed her twice about he ingeniousness and then Anne talked back too.  I loved that....when Jake said " what are you trying to get at?"  and then Heath's compassionate and intellegent comment in answer to that revolting suggestion about them being on the Down Low...god Oprah was totally clueless but they handled it.  I was proud of them and enjoyed their interaction with each other

Couldn't agree more, Vic. I especially liked Heath's comment.

Heath and Michelle are so cute together. I mean not what he said about her (though it was cute), course he's expected to say those nice things, what else could he have said? But the way they interact, their looks at each other. I believe they're really, really very much into each other and happy together.

Offline Mikaela

• Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2006, 09:01:01 am »
**Grins delightedly** So many kissing smileys should really stoke the day! Glad to be able to help out. :)

I remember being thrilled when the Oprah show first aired, because it was the first time in forever that Heath and Jake appeared together to promote the film. That was the best bit of the whole show, seeing them actually together there when the two of them appear from behind those panels after that overly melo-dramatic introduction from Oprah. But.... the show was a disappointment to me, as to others here,  because it seemed so shallow and simplistic, and asked those same old, same old tired questions. The kiss..... well, at least by then Jake had perfected his way of deflecting that one, seeming almost way too glib in the process.

There were good and nice points inbetween, and all the 4 cast members aquitted themselves very well, so endearing,  including Anne H's delightful little quip - but overall it wasn't something I felt the urge to rewatch.

(I'm a clueless foreigner who haven't ever had the opportunity to wathc Oprah before, so I didn't know what to expect at all, except I know she's a force to be reckoned with in the US.)

And since I've now admitted to being a cluless foreigner anyway, with English not being my first language, -  what does being on the Down Low mean?   ??? It's a colloquialism, I suppose, - and I can't quite make it out from the context, though I've got some sort of hunch of course, - but it might be wrong.