Author Topic: Oprah repeat today!  (Read 7710 times)

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Oprah repeat today!
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2006, 09:14:00 am »
Mikaela, on the Down Low is a slang expression in the black community here for when two "straight" black men have sex.  Someone please help me if I'm being way un-hip here, but my understanding is that to them it's "OK" (as in socially acceptable amongst their straight colleagues) when it's referred to in this way - like it's something they just do every once in a while for a thrill but nothing more.
No more beans!

Offline Mikaela

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2006, 09:48:10 am »
Thank you. I'm very glad I asked; - my hunch was totally wrong. As was Oprah's, if *that* was what she got out of watching BBM.

Offline welliwont

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2006, 10:10:30 am »
Hi Mikeala, here is another explanatiion, courtesy of Diane:

There is a "phenomenon" in the US with African-American men. It is called being on the “down low”. To make a long story short, these are two men getting together to have sex. Neither one sees themselves as gay. But they are having sex with another man. There are no emotional ties. It is strictly sex. The other piece of this whole “down low” thing, is that neither one of the men can be “gay”. Now how bizarre is that?  To you and me, we would say … “these guys are gay”.

Then the clouds opened up and God said, "I hate you, Alfafa."

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2006, 03:47:22 pm »
Hunh, I never knew what on the Down Low meant.  I love when I can feel naive instead of like I've been around the block too many times.

Turns out that my TiVo did record it (of course), but I haven't watched it yet.